Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tyres at BPW
  • lustyd
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve never been to BPW before and bought a 27.5+ FS which has 2.8 Nobby Nic tyres. The site says 2.75″ maximum on the uplift and I measured mine at 2.8″. Will this be an issue or will I be able to manhandle it in? Or will they just laugh and send me home in shame for daring to be different?
    I have 40mm rims so changing tyres for skinny ones isn’t much of an option without whole new wheels!
    thanks all

nickjb
    Free Member

Rules is rules. ‘Elf n saferty innit. 🙁

No, you’ll be fine. Its a gap between two metal bars. I’m sure it’ll go in

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    lustyd
    Free Member

Smashing info thanks peeps. The fact that some 3″ could be squeezed in is very reassuring!
    Now the next worry – i don’t have a dropper so apparently I might die… 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

i don’t have a dropper so apparently I might die

Lucky for you an uplift is just the right place for dropping your old style seatpost at the start of the day and leaving it there. I can’t guarantee you wont die but it is unlikely 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a few little climbs on the runs to far right and left for which a dropper would be nice but its not essential. I smashed a mech there once and rode half a day without a chain so pedalling isn’t essential

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I only ever ride up, but I have a Stumpy 6Fattie on 3″, and chatting to one of the uplift guys last time I was there, it would be fine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Lucky for you an uplift is just the right place for dropping your old style seatpost at the start of the day and leaving it there. I can’t guarantee you wont die but it is unlikely

zero fatalities at BPW so far I believe.

There’s only a shortish part of the park that’s uphill, I forget the names but the blue that’s on the left from the start has a 200m-ish slog in the middle of it.

The rest of the time, slam the seat as low as possible.

st

I went with my Stache last Sunday. It’s got 3″ tyres and they would not fir in the normal trailer slots. 2.8″ may work but could be a squeeze. The front space on each side of the trailers (the van end) are wider though and my tyres dropped in no trouble. In my case I just had to wait for spaces at the front of the trailer, no hardship.

lustyd
    Free Member

Lol sorry all I was kidding about the dropper, I never change my seat height as I don’t need to, don’t even have a QR on there!
    Thanks ST useful to know, maybe I’ll have to try politely asking to go at the front 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Lol sorry all I was kidding about the dropper, I never change my seat height as I don’t need to, don’t even have a QR on there!

They have signs all over the place at BPW telling you to drop your saddle. I’d listen to them if I were you, otherwise the chance of getting caught out on one of the surprisingly fast blues and ending up in A&E will be vastly higher.

slowbloke
    Free Member

And you definitely don’t want to end up in A&E at the Local hospital. The 2 hour wait for triage seems to defeat the object of triaging anyone.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t they have their own section at merthyr a&e now?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Merthyr A&E gets a good rating in my reviews of hospitals. Was barely an hour wait for triage and then efficient service going to x-ray, get cast fitted and paperwork/CD to take to my local hospital, and sent on my way.

Nurse took one look at me when I came in, just said “Bike Park?” 😀

CheesybeanZ

Your going to a bike park , drop your saddle .

danbo
    Free Member

My 2.8 nobby nics fitted fine, and survived the drop on join the dots. Shame they caught the wind at the end of the day on Dai Hard and tabletopped me…

[video]http://vimeo.com/163689574[/video]

deviant
    Free Member

I just don’t get the big tyre thing, I’ve test ridden one but it just felt squishy and like undamped/uncontrolled additional suspension to me!?

None of the fast lads I’ve raced against in local and regional DH and Enduro use them and the pros even at somewhere like Val di Sole were using the usual 2.4 – 2.5 width tyres, surely if they generated that much more grip the teams would be all over them?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I just don’t get the big tyre thing, I’ve test ridden one but it just felt squishy and like undamped/uncontrolled additional suspension to me!?

None of the fast lads I’ve raced against in local and regional DH and Enduro use them and the pros even at somewhere like Val di Sole were using the usual 2.4 – 2.5 width tyres, surely if they generated that much more grip the teams would be all over them?

Fashion, innit. I still don’t get the fat bikes too either – seems like a form of self-inflicted torture but each to their own. I find my 2.35 on 25mm rims about perfect for any riding apart maybe from more extreme Alpine or DH stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tyres at BPW’ is closed to new replies.