Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Tyre inflation method and tyre pressure – track pump enlightenment
  • psychle
    Free Member

So I've just bought a track pump, the first one I've ever had… up until now I've been using my normal trail pump to inflate my tyres, no gauge on this so I've always just gone off 'feel'… now, with the track pump having a gauge I'm amazed at how obviously low I've been running my tyres up until now: 30psi at the max, more like 20psi would be the point where I'd stop pumping with the trail pump (and that's about 100 strokes 🙄 ) Now that I'm inflating tyres to at least 35-40psi, they feel way too hard, but they ride much much better 😀

Moral of the story? Get a track pump into your life and your tyres will ride as they should 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

is that a Ti track pump you're using ? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

nope… just a regular run of the mill Edinburgh Cycles jobbie (highly recommended btw, it's a good bit of kit for £24 delivered 😀 )

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

40psi! 😯

psychle
    Free Member

too high? or too low?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sounds high to me for off-road

psychle
    Free Member

see, that's the thing… on the tyres they recommend 35-60psi, so I've gone with 40 as a starting point… I do think they're a bit firm, maybe 35 would be better (or even 30…)

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

IME pressure recommendations on tyres tend to be high – try it at 40psi but you might find you are pinging off rocks – depends on the tyres and terrain of course

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so you'd rather run your tires at a nominal 40psi than at the 25-30psi that gives better grip?

psychle
    Free Member

seemed good at Epping today, but that's rather a tame try out 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

25-30psi that gives better grip?

more drag and more punctures on "normal" non downhill tires

seems to be a trend on here for trail riding on minions and other such downhill tires – course you can run 25psi in them – used to run 16psi in comp24s when i raced downhill – personally ill take the hit on the deformation grip when riding xc and just buy a good tire and run it at 38-40 psi…..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – low pressures means more pinch puntures – its a battle between grip and puncture resistance IMHO – if you run low and doing mostly off road shuld be OK but if you get a pinch on every ride then you'll have to go up pressure or go tubless. Depends on what ansd how you are riding 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd say that the company who make the tyres probably know better than some guy on the web what pressures to run their tyres at. I'm supposed to run my continentals at 50psi tried them at 35 and hated them, no grip at all, changed the pressure to 50 and was riding off camber roots and all sorts today at full tilt with no problem. Not "bouncing off things" but I have spent a lot of time getting the bike suspension set up right.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow i fully expected to get flamed with my last post ….

even though i do understand what im talking about

genesis
    Free Member

On my ss I tend to run about 40psi on Conti VertPro's 2.3wide gives a good compromise on grip and no snakebite but run 35psi on my full suss.

tails
    Free Member

wow i fully expected to get flamed with my last post ….

even though i do understand what im talking about

i thought you would as well, think the low pressures are also how the tubeless people are riding them. I also run 40psi just feels right to me but if 25 – 30psi is working for people then stick with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

must admit i feel that running 40psi is limiting my grip and slowing me down no end in races. Its getting so bad i felt i needed to lower them to 25psi yesterday to keep up with the 2 guys in front of me …….

Smee
    Free Member

If the tyres deform at all when you sit on the bike then they are too soft. Who needs grip anyway. Just ski down everything and bounce off the edges of the trail.

thomthumb
    Free Member

30psi is spot on anything higher and your too fat! 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha quality

Ewan
    Free Member

30 at the front, 35 at the back. Grippy without pinch flatting.

In the alps (with DH tyres and 2.7 tyres) i've gone as low as 12psi…

molgrips
    Free Member

Experiment. Different bikes, different tyres and different rims all require different pressures. I even change pressures depending on the trails I'm doing! 😮

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My track pump always read 10-15psi out from my digi gauge….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just got a topeak joe blow (thanks to my gf – a gift :))

Used it today, 30psi (what i thought my tyres were at) is no where near, corroborated by a digital pressure gauge (schwalbe). My tyres were being run at about 18psi!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I hate the squirmy feeling of tyres rolling on the rim. 35 psi is about right for me.

aracer
    Free Member

How come you guys are all so imprecise? I run 31psi – 30psi is too draggy, whilst with 32psi I find I ping off rocks.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Front 31.765psi Rear 31.387psi is about right for the trails near me.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Err it does depend on what you weigh as well. I'm 10st soaking wet and run happily at 25psi. My mate is 20st and if he runs that low he pinch flats before he gets out of the car park.

Bush
    Free Member

36 front 34 rear for me….Or is that the car !! cant remember.

Something like that anyways.

Keva
    Free Member

30psi is spot on anything higher and your too fat!

I run mine between 35-40 psi depending on where im riding and conditions. my weight = lighter than most.

Kev

psychle
    Free Member

Used it today, 30psi (what i thought my tyres were at) is no where near, corroborated by a digital pressure gauge (schwalbe). My tyres were being run at about 18psi!!

So the gauge on the pump was accurate according to the digital pressure gauge (ie. both showed 30psi)?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Tyre inflation method and tyre pressure – track pump enlightenment’ is closed to new replies.