Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Two day winter ride in scotland
  • mossmaned
    Free Member

Hello peoples,

I'm looking for a two day winter ride in scotland with an overnight stay in a bothy. I know there's little day light, snow wind and rain.

An example would be Rothiemurcus Aviemore -heading out to Ryvoan bothy, exploring a trail or two the next day then and heading back.

Any one have any ideas? -I live in edinburgh so can go north or south…

thanks!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We've just done from Ft Willy, WHW to Mamore, Loch Eilde, o/n at Meanach & back via Leanachan forest, 21 miles on 1st day, 27 2nd day. The Lairig bothy is probably better, depends on how far you want to travel each day. terrific blast down to Leanachen from The Lairig as well.

mossmaned
    Free Member

Excellent. I'll check that out on the OS map -thanks esselgruntfuttoc

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The bothy in Glen Feshie could be a good option. For the life of me I can't remember it's name but if you started the ride from Braemar you could head up Glen Geldie (will be boggy at that time of year unless frozen) and Glen Feshie to stay the night then work your way back to Braemar the next day. Possible routes would be toward Rothiemurchus then Ryvoan Pass, Glen Brown to Tomintoul and south to Braemar. A quicker route would be to ride to Glen More and go over the side of Bynack More before heading down Glen Derry and back to Braemar.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Ruigh-aiteachain aka Landseers Bothy

Best to remember that snow and ice can put paid to just about any plans. I'd stay low and have plans B & C handy 😉

mossmaned
    Free Member

Cheers guys -great suggestions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Two day winter ride in scotland’ is closed to new replies.