Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • TV lip-sync problems anyone?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We bought a nice new TV with a Blue Ray palyer with Dolby 2.1 surround in it. Both are Samsung. Great!

But we’re having MAJOR problems with the lip sync drifting out to the point where it’s virtually unwatchable.

Now, I know you can alter the delay time and get it right, but it chages from programme to programme, channel to channel and day to day, so we’re ALWAYS faffing with it and it’s a BLOODY PAIN IN THE ARSE.

I’ve googled it and it’s a known problem, especially with Samsung, with Virgin, and especially on HD channels. Short of getting rid of the Blue Ray 2.1 system (Which I think will happen at this rate) has anybody else found this and solved it?

(It’s all fine straight through the TV)

greeble
    Free Member

why would you by a 2.1 system with blueray?
    surely to maximise the most of hd blueray 5.1 ot 7.1 would have made more sense.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I assume that you are feeding the sound into an amp of some sort, or an AV amp.

Take a sound feed from the television, or something that strips it from the HDMI cable that feeds the TV, like an HDMI switch box with audio out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

surely to maximise the most of hd blueray 5.1 ot 7.1 would have made more sense.

depends how good your stereo reproduction is.

adam90
    Free Member

I had this problem with my samsung blue ray.

Try and update the software on it. I can’t remember how I did it but it was nothing more complicated than looking through the menu and finding the update button, assuming it is connected to the internet.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

why would you by a 2.1 system with blueray?

Becasue that’s all we need and all we have space for. Please try actually answering the question or butting out! 🙂

I assume that you are feeding the sound into an amp of some sort, or an AV amp.

The Blue Ray player is integrated with the amp.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Adam, the softwate is up to date, good point though 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Blue Ray player is integrated with the amp.

then either a firmware update or it is not fit for purpose and should be returned.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It can be your system that is cocking it up, however some broadcasts are actually wrong.

The Xfactor HD one is very rarely syncd properly at broadcast and apparently with in the industry they get a slating for it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t recall the exact model, but the 2.1/Blue Ray is one of these or very similar.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/blu-ray-home-entertainment-system/HT-D5200/XU

TV is a 32in LED Samsung jobbie

Source is Virgin+ box (NOT TioVio or whatever it’s called though!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

then either a firmware update or it is not fit for purpose and should be returned

Agreed. I think it will be going back this weekend to be honest, this thread was a last attempt to see if there was a solution.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How is the V+ Mbox linked to the Samsung amp – HDMI or by analog interconnects out the back of the V+?

retro83
    Free Member

So does it happen with sources other than Virgin+? Reason i ask is that my parents have a similar problem but with Virgin+ and a Sony setup (again though, 2.1 sound and BR player).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If I take the feeds from my external components (bluray/V+) and feed into my digital preamp I will get lipsync with the image on the tv.

So instead I either take the digital sound feed from my TV, where it has been decoded from the HDMI feeding the TV, or from a similar output on an HDMI switch box, and there is no lipsync problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TG, at first I linked the V+ to the Blue Ray/amp via a HDMI lead then then the Blue Ray/amp to the tv via another HDMI lead, as in the instructions.

I then changed this and linked the Blue Ray/amp and the V+ box seperately straight into the TV and then used an optical audio lead back to the Blue Ray/amp for the sound.

The second way improved it a bit, but it still drifts all the time.

If there’s another way of linking it up, I’m all ears!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So does it happen with sources other than Virgin+? Reason i ask is that my parents have a similar problem but with Virgin+ and a Sony setup (again though, 2.1 sound and BR player).

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

Our only sources are V+ and straight off a Blue Ray disc. We only have one Blue Ray disc and have only watched it once. IIRC I set the delay and it was fine.

As I said, Virgin are known for lip sync issues (Google it!) but so are Samsung…!

jwt
    Free Member

Lip sync issues seem to be getting worse, I have Sky HD and that can even vary between the HD and non-HD version of the same channel, dispite both supposedly being broadcast in Dolby Digital.
    You may find you still get some issues even with a different Bluray/amp combo, or even just straight from your V+ box.
    You should be able to play Blu-rays OK, but the delay setting may not then work for V+.
    Sorry I can’t be more help.
    Until the braodcasters get their act together you may have to compromise to get an exceptable solution.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Isn’t this the inherent problem with LED TVs they all have different response times so if a signal comes into a tv from an external source it will delay the audio as the TV knows the response delay but if you don’t go through the tv this doesn’t happen.
    I know they were issues when post production houses went over to LED from CRT as the audio sync varied from TV to TV

sobriety
    Free Member

I have:

Blu Ray(sony)–HDMI-
    ——————————AMP(Denon)- HDMI -TV (LG)
    Vbox———–HDMI-

With no syncing issues.

Edit the ‘-‘ are to get round the forum formatting my post

Edit#2 – I gues what I’m trying to say is that the dedicated amp seems to sort any syncing issues that may arise.

Cougar

My amp has a “HDMI lipsync” setting which is supposed to use HDMI signals to control sync. Oddly, if I enable it, lipsync is out; if I disable it it’s fine.

But anyway. If I was a betting man, my money would be on a faulty V+ box. Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cougar, yep. Tried that.

It’s a known Virgin issue though, like I’ve already said.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV/Lip-Synch-ITV1-Hd/td-p/740887

And also with Samsung

http://www.avforums.com/forums/all-one-systems/692210-lip-sync-problem-samsung.html

5lab

if the problem doesn’t occur when listening through the TV, it’s not an issue with the virgin box.

what is ‘behind’ – the audio or the video? have you tried using analog out of the TV into the blurayampthingy?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

if the problem doesn’t occur when listening through the TV, it’s not an issue with the virgin box.

That’s my nthinking too. Although we’ve not tested it extensively, the times we have tried it, it seems OK

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Having said that I didn’t notice some slight lip-syncing probs last night.

I was watching the HD tennis on a Sony LCD yesterday thinking how far we haven’t come from watching decent PAL picture on a Sony Trinatron.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Where did you buy the TV, Funky Town?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘TV lip-sync problems anyone?’ is closed to new replies.