Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • TURNER – DW 2009+ Full Rebuild Bushing Kit Required
  • Orangejohn
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a 2010 5 Spot with play in the DW link; am I best just to replace the bushings in the link or do a full bushing replacement (not noticed any other play, just the DW).
    I see Silverfish sell the parts which are staggeringly expensive, has anyone bought one direct with any luck, does it work out cheaper.
    Any alternatives to picking up either a full or half kit from Silverfish/Turner?
    Thanks in advance.
    John

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Maybe speak to TFT? PUSH now do bushing kits for the DW Spot.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Buy some bushes direct from IGUS, just replace the worn ones as necessary.

Vortexracing

It’s a 2009, email greg at Turner bikes in the US and tell him about it. Mention that it’s squeaking and he will send you some new pins and plates FOC. If you talk to him nicely he may even throw in some replacemnet bushes for the DW

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Thanks all, for your assistance.

(TFT don’t do the journal bearings).

IGUS will supply to a personal customer but need the exact sizes.
    Has anyone contacted them and ordered the journal bearings (bushings) for the two lower DW links of a TURNER XC frame (2009 onwards).
    If so can you let me have the correct size please?

I have contacted TURNER (in any event) to ask them if they are prepared to divulge the information. I will post on here when I get any info.

neiloxford – thanks for the links, they are what I am after but I’m not sure the link goes to the correct size required.

Sanny
    Free Member

Speak to Greg at Turner. He knows how to deliver awesome customer service. I had a couple of issues which he 😀 resolved quickly and efficiently in a very helpful manner. Greg is a bit of a legend when it comes to helping his customers!

lowey

What Sanny said. Greg and Dave himself have sorted out a couple of issues I have had over the years. Top service and one of the main reasons why I have only ever owned Turners.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Hi Orangejohn,

Any news? Now find myself in the same predicament after buying a 2nd hand DW 5 spot.

Neil

campfreddie
    Free Member

definitely get in touch with greg @ turner.

i emailed him earlier this week asking whether i could get hold of a replacement chainstay protector for a 2004 5-spot… he emailed back within minutes saying that they no longer had any of those, but he would send f.o.c. a couple of old-model DHR chainstay protectors which he reckoned i could doctor to fit properly.

the prices for ordering bits from turner direct are much cheaper than silverfish, but if you add duty, VAT and shipping, they really are not that different at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Push are now doing DW bushings (in their magic material) – TFT will be getting some soon apparently.

I’m in the process of replacing mine with ball bearings. The Push option looks interesting though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m in the process of replacing mine with ball bearings

why – the journal bearings are one of the best bits of a turner frame???

why – the journal bearings are one of the best bits of a turner frame???

I’m not saying the journal bearings are rubbish, its always the one at the chainstay end that’s exposed to trail crud that wears out fast. Made for California, not day after day of UK mud I suspect.

Vortexracing

Made for California, not day after day of UK mud I suspect.

Completely opposite to my opinion.

2.5 year old DW 5 Spot, still as smooth as silk.

I think it’s safe to say bikes with brgs may have needed a replacement by now.

just keep the bushes lubed.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Had quite a positive response from Turner Bikes.
    Initially they offered to sell just the bushings at a very competitive price. However prior to order I stripped a few pivots down and the axle (for want of a better word) the aluminium tube on which the bushings run, were worn.
    I then went back to them and upped my order. They then suggested a full kit at a good price – which is on route I hope (paid for anyway).

The only slight issue is the design. I look after my bikes and service bike and bits regularly. I greased the bushings frequently taking note not to ‘purge’ as per Turner’s advice. They have lasted about 18 months – this bike wasn’t used that much, a hardtail was used in bad conditions.

I have read reports of the bushings lasting for ages, in my case (Peak District riding) they haven’t and compared with the Orange 5 I had before the fix is a lot more complex and expensive.

Swings and Roundabouts I suppose.

A great bike all round just slightly disappointed in the maintenance costs.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Hi Orangejohn,

Any chance I could buy a couple of second hand bits off you please?

I am in the middle of putting a frame together. I bought the rear triangle from ebay and the front triangle off a nice chap from this forum. Now I am looking for a couple of missings bits to get me going until I can afford a full rebuild kit ($100 plus $40 shipping plus import tax is a bit on the high side at the moment). I am looking for a main pivot kit (typical that Silverfish do not have any in stock,grrr), and two bushings and two rubber rings for the lower DW link. I am trying to find out the size of the bushings to try and source from Igus but nobody seems to know the required measurements.

P.S TF Tuned have UK stock of the PTX bushings…

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/PUSH/PUSH/PUSH-Parts/Turner-Pivot-Bushings-2

If anybody wants to sell/give me their old ones please shout 🙂

Thanks Neil

big_n_daft
    Free Member

thread revived!!

any latest thoughts?

emailing Turner tonight, need to sort out the DW link

Are the TFT PUSH bushings worth it?

Vortexracing

Are the TFT PUSH bushings worth it?

yes

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just about to order a set for my Horst link frame. The kit doesn’t include the HL bushes so I need to order those separately. LFI-0708-04 if anyone is interested. Known as WFI rather than LFI in the UK. Much cheaper from Turner than they are from Igus though. They wanted £5.66 +vat for each one plus £6.00 (+vat) for postage.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

any chance of elaborating on “yes”

Vortexracing

I had the standard Turner bushes I my 5 spot, and without the rear shock and no rear wheel in, the rear triangle would not ‘fall’ from full compression easily. It would stop at vary positions.

Now the PUSH bushes are in, the rear triangle movement is silky smooth and falls from full compression easily.

I have only ridden it twice since fitting them, but it does appear to help low small bump compliance (and yes I sound like MBR) 🙄

richmtb

I had the standard Turner bushes I my 5 spot, and without the rear shock and no rear wheel in, the rear triangle would not ‘fall’ from full compression easily. It would stop at vary positions.

Now the PUSH bushes are in, the rear triangle movement is silky smooth and falls from full compression easily.

Hmm interesting.

I’ve got a 2009 Turner 5 Spot, the frame was ex display and never ridden until bought buy me a couple of months ago.

I took the shock out to grease the bushes and noticed the same thing, I figured the bushes just need a while to bed in.

Can’t say I’ve really noticed much stiction while actually riding but silky smooth sounds good.

How much is the TF Tuned kit?

Vortexracing

I think they are £50

mactheknife

Vortex, i have just seen this thread, did the set from TFTuned come with absolutely everything needed for a full bushing replacement?

Cheers buddy

Vortexracing

yip, just push the old ones out and press the new ones in

renton
    Free Member

It comes with the plastic type bushes and not the metal pivots that go through !!

sam_underhill

Does it come with any new seals? I seem to have a tiny bit of play that cleaning and refitting won’t fix. Bushings seem to be the culprit. But, muck has got passed the seals and slightly worn the inside of my rockers! So new seals might be a good idea as well.

Vortexracing

nope, just bushes

rickon
    Free Member

The stiction problem is caused by slightly too thick pivots or slightly too narrow bushes. Make either uniformly a bit smaller and it’ll fix the problems.

Vwry fine Emery cloth (800) wrapped around a drill bit and a quick blast of the drill in the bushes will do the trick, then grease up with proper thin grease.

That’ll save you £50 for the same benefit.

I’ve been through this on two Turners last month.

Manufacturing tolerances on bushes and pivots is very tight, and a little too much anodising really affects performance.

Leaving them as they are may be fine and they’d wear down eventually to proper size, but it won’t be uniform wear.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

things must be busy Stateside, no response from Greg

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘TURNER – DW 2009+ Full Rebuild Bushing Kit Required’ is closed to new replies.