Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tuggnut installation question – Santa Cruz Chameleon '07
  • badfink
    Free Member

Hi all

I posted a while back about ongoing issues with my 07 SC Chameleon.

Basically, the rear axle/QR keeps slipping backwards in the non-drive side dropout. I swapped my external cam QRs for a steel Deore internal cam jobbie, but although it was much better, it still slipped when landing jumps. I also tried a Halo XL Hex key skewer, but that exploded on the first ride after I tried to tighten it a little too much.

Anyway, some chaps here recommended some chain tugs, so I got meself a Surly. The problem, however, is that I can't see how you can install it on the non-drive side. There's not enough QR skewer to cope with the extra width added by the Tuggnut, and the Tuggnut won't sit flush anyway due to the allen bolts which hold the Chameleon's dropout inserts in place.

Do I remove the dropout insert that is already there and replace it with the Tuggnut? Or do I need a longer skewer? Or am I more of a numpty than I ever believed possible?

Any words of wisdom/abuse most gratefully received. 🙂

nbt

I'd remove the non-drive side dropout, it's only really there to stop the axle moving which is what the tuggnut does? The driveside holds the rear mech

having said that, how is the non-drive-side moving if it's in one of the dropouts? Can you post a pic?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Tugg nutts only really stop the wheel shifting forwards due to pedaling, not backwards due to braking forces.

When i ran mine as singlespeed i just removed all the dropout inserts and used a deore skewer without any tuggnutts or anything, clamped as tightly as possible.

Seemed to work ok, though i didn't do any jumping really.

badfink
    Free Member

Bike's at home and I'm at work unfortunately, otherwise I'd gladly do some pics!

It's just shifting back a few mm in the non-drive dropout, while the other side seems to stay put. With the external cam QRs it shifted enough to leave the tyre rubbing against the frame, but while the Deore QR is better, it's still moving.

I was wondering whether poor brake setup could be the issue. There's no rubbing, and the brake (Juicy 7s) works fine, but could poor alignment be pulling the wheel out of whack?

scaredypants

probably wot horatio said – if the caliper is above the dropout, braking forces try to pull the wheel backwards

Could you try holding it forwards somehow? wire / bodged bracket of some sort /…?

badfink
    Free Member

Well, I'll install the Tuggnut without the non-drive insert and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it, well, then it's bodge time. thanks for the suggestions chaps! 🙂

badfink
    Free Member

I think, and I don't want to jinx myself here, it's worked!!! A whole ride without any slippage whatsover! Woohoo!

I bodged it a little, though, as you can see in the blurry pic below:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tuggnut installation question – Santa Cruz Chameleon '07’ is closed to new replies.