Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless Tyre patches (which Ones)
  • jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Can someone recommend some patches to repair a Nobby Nic snakeskin.

qtip

I use Rema Tip Top patches (for normal tubes) on my Maxxis UST tyres and they work extremely well – have even managed to fix cuts near the bead using them. Just make sure the inside of the tyre is clean and roughen the surface slightly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found they all struggled to stick to the wet inside of the tyre. Maybe if you were running without sealent they’d work.

I now just use patches of ductape and contact adhesive to cover the holes, it’s not airtight but slows down the air loss enough that the sealent can do it’s job. Superglue works just as well, but also sticks fingers togehther rather too well, and dries out quickly once opened so not much good leaving a tube in the car.

It’s rarely used though, sealent get’s 99% of the punctures, it’s usualy once it’s dried out, then punctured and your trying to re-inflate with fresh sealent before all the air pisses out.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Cheers I have one near the bead and a couple between the centre blocks, less than a week old as well. Cant say I’m that impressed, but to be fair I was in a slate quarry 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Normal inner tube patches work fine it is the GLUE that is rubbish!
    I did a bit of research and now use Tip Top special cement,
    works great, so much so I redone some patches that fixed with normal glue, it also glues the park tyre boot to the inside of a tyre nicely.

Got a few in stock if you get stuck, 😉

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice Patches and Cement ordered.

Northwind

I use normal patches and glue (halfords ones, they’re cheap), just wipe the sealant back.

But having said that, my Nic snakeskins were pretty puncturey, long term solution was a better tyre.

yetitony
    Free Member

I use this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4576
    Used a few times and run the tire loads without any further issues. very easy to fit as well.

mactheknife

Im the same as Northwind, i just clean the sealant then spray some disc brake cleaner to get it extra clean. Normal patch and glue.

Works as it should.

Scapegoat

jonnyb1972 – Member
    Cheers I have one near the bead and a couple between the centre blocks, less than a week old as well. Cant say I’m that impressed, but to be fair I was in a slate quarry

The tubeless equivalent of snakebite/pinchflats. My lad did exactly the same damage to his NN Snakeskin on Sat afternoon, on a big square edge step.

I was going to trust that the sealant had done its job …. should I be repairing the punctures?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Tyre patches (which Ones)’ is closed to new replies.