• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless – Touring/road tyres
  • Rik
    Free Member

Im going to be putting some schwable marathon supreme tyres on my singular gryphon to do a bit of road touring. They ate going on a pair of Bontrager RXL 29er rims that have the bonty tubeless strip installed. I have tubeless on all my mtb bikes but not sure about using it with road tyres.

I know I’ll be able to get them to sit and inflate, but I’m a bit worried about the high psi of road tyres – up to 90-100 compared to 35 on the mtb. Stans do make a tubeless kit for road bikes but I think you need dedicated tubeless tyres rather than any tyre on mtb.

Has anybody tried it? It could be great if it does work.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother Rik. Not really the same advantage as there is off road, especially on a laden tourer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve asked this before – little is known though some have used regular tyres OK.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a Specialized Tricross with 32 mm 700c tyres which I converted using Stans and have run at 60 psi for a couple of years without issue. I’m now going to try the same trick with some Conti Gatorskins on Arch 700c rims. I’m just waiting for someone to make a 28mm tubeless tyre as the Hutchinson stuff only goes up to 25mm. Either that or they do some cross tubeless tyres at 34 mm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wouldn’t bother.

the risks are higher and the advantages lower. i seem to get a lot less punctures on road and when i do they seem to glass/ flint ones which sealant wouldn’t sort any way

traildog
    Free Member

Marathons are very puncture resistant so I see no point in even trying this. I certainly wouldn’t risk it myself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually echo that I wouldn’t bother with heavy tyres.

Rik
    Free Member

Cool, advice noted and idea thrown in bin.

Sam

Think it’s not a bad idea, worth a try. The Marathon Supremes roll very nicely with tubes, reckon they would be even nicer tubeless. I wouldn’t be using 90-100 psi in em either, more like 70-80 at the most. They are not especially heavy tyres either Al – 375g at 32mm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless – Touring/road tyres’ is closed to new replies.