Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tubeless, help needed.
  • endurokid
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m thinking of converting to tubeless and I’m a bit lost as to what kit I need, I’m running 26″ Flow EX rims and I’d be running either dual ply or EXO tyres, but I need help on the kit, would this work:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-standard-tubeless-kit-2014/rp-prod38835

I’m not sure if it’s a tad too narrow for my rims?

Any help would be appreciate,d.

Ta!

BoardinBob

If they’re Stans rim then you just need tape and valves. No need for the rim strips

endurokid
    Free Member

This is where I’m getting confused, they are Stans rims but there are nipple/spoke holes, would I not need rim tape to seal these?

davewalsh
    Free Member

For Flow EX’s you’re better off with the 29mm rim tape from superstar, the 25mm stans isn’t wide enough to seal the tiny holes at the edge of the rim near the bead hook. The yellow tape and valves is all you need.

Northwind

endurokid – Member

This is where I’m getting confused, they are Stans rims but there are nipple/spoke holes, would I not need rim tape to seal these?

Yup, but just tape, not a full on rim strip.

I found the Stans 25mm tape was fine btw but then I’ve never found any need to be precious with rim tape, most of mine have narrower Roval stuff on as I got loads when it was cheap. Superstar stuff doesn’t seem quite as stretchy as Stans so a wee bit harder to fit but works fine. a couple of wraps of good quality electrical tape was fine too though!

endurokid
    Free Member

This?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/tubeless-tape.htm

And when you mean valves do you mean just the valves like these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-universal-35mm-valve-stem-pair-mtb-2014/rp-prod68565

So, is this all I need?

Cheers

Scapegoat

You need to buy tubeless tape, either stans 24 mm or Superstar tape. You also need a pair of tubeless valves. Superstar ones are half the price of Stans, and are just as good. You do not need rim strips. You also need some sealant. Shop around for a half pint or pint of bottle of Stans, as you’ll need couple of ounces or so per tyre, and it needs replenishing over time, so its handy to have some in the garage. I also carry a small bottle of it in my riding pack.

Watch the video on the Stans site. It tells you exactly how to do it in very informative fashion, but more importantly tells you how to avoid pitfalls.

Northwind

Yup- there’s other parts you can use but that’ll do the job nicely. And sealant of course! Isopropyl alcohol and a scotchbrite/brillo pad or similiar are useful too for cleaning the rim- the better you clean the rim the better teh tape will stick, which makes things easier. Oh and a sharp knife to cut the tape, a scalpel is ideal ime.

endurokid
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ve found this on CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-tubeless-kit-for-hoops-on-stans-ztr/rp-prod49111

So think I’ll opt for this and give it a go.

One more question, do you pour the sealant straight in to the tyre or dies it have to go in through the valve?

jamj1974

If you have removable valve cores you can fill through the valve with a Stans syringe. Always make sure you can seal the bead to the rim before adding Stans.

ds3000
    Free Member

You’ll also need a decent track pump, or air compressor if the pump doesn’t work.

There’s also the ghetto tubeless inflator option.

Soapy water is your friend. Be liberal with the sealant. Don’t give up.

Welcome to the exciting, yet sometimes frustrating world of tubeless tyres.

passtherizla
    Free Member

A firm believer in gorilla tape and stans valves method. You’ll also need some stans fluid.

Home made tubeless inflator makes life very easy, as does a decent strap if the bead isn’t going on.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I didn’t use it but I watched some video and gorilla tape seemed like it worked just the same as stan’s tape and was a lot cheaper. You can put a tyre in initially to seat one side of the bead. When I put sealant in I pull off part of the tyre from the rim, pour some in and then rotate the wheel before putting the tyre back.

Northwind

ds3000 – Member

You’ll also need a decent track pump

And it’s worth saying here, that “decent” means different things to different people- I had a Joe Blow Sport that was a nice pump, well made etc, but not much use for tubeless because it didn’t shift that much air. Now I use an Air Tower which frankly is cheap rubbish, but has a bigger piston so moves a lot more air- which is what tubeless really needs.

endurokid
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

I’ll order the bits tonight and hopefully I’ll be tubeless by the end of the week!

ds3000
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on…

dartmoorgranite
    Free Member

I normally have a co2 on hand in case the tyre struggles to blow on to the rim – it’s an additional expense but works every time. Once a tyre has been on and sealed it will generally always go back with a pump 🙂

prawny

I’ve finally managed a decent ghetto tubeless conversion, with non tubeless wheels and non TR tyres, pumped up fine with a cheap track pump. The secret was many, many wraps of gaffer tape. I think 4, but could have been a bit more. Once I’d done that though, no issues at all. Went up easy and held air perfectly.

endurokid
    Free Member

Bits were ordered on Monday but haven’t arrived yet due to the tragic accident at CRC which has caused delays, but I’ll report back!!

endurokid
    Free Member

Ok. All done. Took about two hours all in but I got there.

Minion EXO 2.5 folding up front and Highroller DH dual ply 2.35 rear, both 60a compound.

Can’t wait to get out now and ride puncture free!!

Thanks for everyone’s help & advice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless, help needed.’ is closed to new replies.