Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tubeless Anchovies puncture fix thingys
  • spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

So had my first tubeless puncture that did not seal yesterday.

4mm cut across the top of the tread on my Schwalbe S Ones. Lots of Stans sprayed under the mudguard but to big for it to seal.

Had invested in the Genuine Innovations tubeless seal kit last year and chucked it in the commuter rucksack.

So on a coldish wet dark night it was going to be a good test of the practicalities of real world use.

Dug out the little fork tool thing and pulled an anchovie from the kit. This was a small challenge but managed to get it free. It then took a couple of minutes to thread it into the tool. I dare say with practice you would get faster (might be an idea to pre thread one and keep it in a wee bag to save time).

Jabbed the tool into the hole (takes a bit of pressure to get it in) gave it a quick twist and pulled. It came our easily leaving the anchovie in place. Pumped the tyre back up to 80 psi with no leaking. Puncture fixed without even having to take the wheel off!

Two days of riding on it now and no loss of pressure.

Overall pretty impressed, will be interesting to see if it holds up longer term but definitely takes the hassle out of fixing a puncture. Worth the £5 and couple of grams of weight.

jimdubleyou

My question is how do you get the anchovies off the plastic backing?

The ones in my kit seem to be completely stuck fast…

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

It was a bit of a challenge but it does come off with some brute strength and ignorance.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

If you lost alot of stans worth topping it up

jam-bo

with the weldite kit, I had to open the gap on the pronged tool up to get a anchovy through it.

but yeah, they’re great. even used two in a massive hole before.

legend
    Free Member

Overall pretty impressed, will be interesting to see if it holds up longer term

Best part of a year for the ones currently hangin out of my back tyre. Don’t seem them causing a problem before the tyre dies

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Top up of Stan’s on the to do list for tomorrow.

Stoner
    Free Member

if you can find them, these are great: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sahmurai-Sword-Tubeless-Tyre-Plugs_85836.htm

you could of bodge your own.

I have fitted them to my tubeless bike in France and means Ive got something to help out me or a friend if we cut a tyre in the Alps. This especially as I tend to ride with minimum kit.

whytesky
    Free Member

I’ve used, I think, the same ones as jam bo and also had to widen the little fork tool. it came with a little tube of lube stuff which I managed to get all over my hands. Turns out the lube helps bond the rubber strip. I ended up with melted / dissolved rubber all over my fingers.

Worked a treat though.

simondbarnes

It’s not lube, it’s vulcanising solution 🙂

whytesky
    Free Member

And I guess that would be why I had sticky rubbery stuff everywhere!

PMSL.

simondbarnes

🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Weldtite actually do TWO tubeless kits.

One is intended as an external repair kit, with said anchovies, whilst the other has a strip of rubber to cut from and a tube of rubber cement and internal patches.

orena45

Stoner – Member
    if you can find them, these are great: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sahmurai-Sword-Tubeless-Tyre-Plugs_85836.htm

you could of bodge your own.

I have fitted them to my tubeless bike in France and means Ive got something to help out me or a friend if we cut a tyre in the Alps. This especially as I tend to ride with minimum kit.

I got a set of these for Christmas but was a bit disappointed as they are too tight a fit in my bars. I reviewed them on my blog recently.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless Anchovies puncture fix thingys’ is closed to new replies.