Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tubeless advice DT 5.1 set up
  • puffnutts
    Free Member

Anyone had any joy using the standard no tubes website advice?

I have set up a couple of tubeless sets (dif rims/tyres) now no problems but these are leaking ++.

I am using 17mm Velox tape + standard no tubes rim strip
    Maxxis Minnions and wheel milk.

After putting it in the kiddies paddling pool the air is coming out mainly around valve hole even after tightening valve nut thing with pliers a bit.

I note that the JRA website advises using the special DT conversion kit rather than the no tubes standard strip. I wonder if this means it is a fiddly/unreliable combo.

I am about to take it all apart and add some more tape below the Velox stuff but think I might be wasting my time. Any good tips for this set up would be really appreciated.

Off to Mega on Wednesday.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just did my DT 5.1D – notubes.com std kit – use plenty of suds on both tyres as directed as it helps cure the sealant. I used i layer of rim tape – velox and then put the tube ontop – all doing well…. Also make sure you start pumping whilst forcing the side walls out at the valve site – I think this helps. I had very porous side walls on my mountain king protection 2.2’s but after riding ont them for a white and re-shaking the front tyre they are now all sealed – prob better with new tyres?

I asked STW forum the same questions about 3 weeks ago. Got a mixed responce about the more costly DT Swiss conversion kit and the no tubes. no tubes for me as cheaper and teh sealant is better apparently? – I also had a big hole in my tyre Sat towards the end of the ride – bit of air escapes and some sealant came out – Sharp stone/glass – pumped it back up a little and sealed fine – result! No pinches in the last 3 weeks asa well!

Vortexracing

I use the DT swiss strips.

You could look to make a seal/washer out of an old inner tube (about 10mm dia) and put it between the valve nut and the rim, also use a 6mm washer between the inner tube and the valve nut to compress this rubber washer.

you could also add another innertube washer inside the rim.

This will give more chance of sealing.

firestarter
    Free Member

mine were a mare ive done a fair few wheels but there were terrible. I ended up using dt strips valves and bits cut from old tubes. Still leaked tho so i changed from jra wheelmilk to stans and its now sealed and holding air well. I put the sealant into my other wheels too and that holds air much better too

Dango
    Free Member

I used the rhyno lite kit together with high rollers on my 5.1’s, no probs at all

iDrew
    Free Member

I had to use 2 layers of 17mm Velox per wheel to get mine to seal; this was with 2.25″ ADvantage on std No Tubes on 5.1d

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless advice DT 5.1 set up’ is closed to new replies.