Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trek Sawyer… Well, um, hmmm…
  • Northwind

Horrible or lovely? I can’t decide!

The cranks are totally wrong, and it’s got a nasty little bridge in the fork which I don’t like the look of… But I think I wants one.

Shmikuk
    Free Member

Looks great in real life. Looks like it rides pretty nice too from what I’ve seen.

Northwind

Aye, I was ogling one in Alpine yesterday. I think the new-style kit clashes with the old-style frame a bit- cranks especially but also the seatpost. But with those sorted…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at them, I like Cruiser styling, the new one is Bronze finish I believe, but not sure. Anyway, I can’t justify £1200 for that, overpriced IMO, but I guess it’s due to low niche sale numbers.

fisha
    Free Member

Forks look like an after thought

tazzymtb

would look lovely with a truss fork

finbar
    Free Member

I like the fact that they’ve made it, but i wouldn’t want to own it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

And as nice as it looks, if you want something a bit different would you really buy a Trek?

OCB
    Free Member

I saw a bronze one in the LBS last week and thought it looked great, one of very few ‘off-the-peg’ bikes that’s interested me for ages. It had kinda dark gold’ish coloured touches to the ‘finishing’ kit which worked surprisingly well.

Agreed that the little fork bridge looks … ‘unnecessary’ (at best).

Skinny stays, so I’d imagine it’d be a comfy ride too. I’m actually a little bit tempted (although I need to finish my current build first).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looks very familiar but no idea what it reminds me of. As said, those forks look wrong, but I’ve got some old skool XT cranks that’d look just the ticket on that.

gil_

Had mine for just coming up to a year and love it, feel in love with the looks when I first saw the pictures nearly 2 years ago and ordered on straight away, waited nearly a year and it finally arrived.

Run as a single speed with a nice Ti seat post and Jones Alloy bars, very comfortable and great fun with classic looks, currently battleship grey with Pink King highlights

Also has belt drive option which I’m looking into as the rear chaistays are split on the drive side

Thought they were a limited 1 year only run but guess they have re-coloured a second batch

Did know of a cheap Medium framed bike locally but think it’s been sold now

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Got mine about 4 months ago, I was looking for a steel 29er and when I saw the sawyer on the shop floor, loved the cruiser look, had a quick ride round the car park and it fit and rode great, just wasnt keen on the price for the level of kit on it, but got a bit of a discount.

Got a single ring up front, rides really good, just different from everything else without going down the custom frame route.

Northwind

Definately won’t be stumping up for a full build… But I think it just joined my idle ebay search list 😉

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Modern day warrior, mean mean stride………….

charliedontsurf

Look great inline but saw one a sswc Ireland and was disappointed. The owner said it was a bit hefty and was not gonna keep it.

But I do want a curvy one speed 29er.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i’ve had two for sale recently and a friend bought one, loves it and say’s it ride really well. Tried to get GF to buy the other but she felt it too long and too heavy.

the quality is very good and its also very balanced so in a SS set up, would make a lovely ride. The forks are nice and the wee bridge blends in nicely in the flesh. as stated above, the older Grey one’s looked nicer.

if anyone is intersted, i have the bars of one as my freind put on a flat bar, not sure if these are for sale from Trek, so £20 posted?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

love the look, but the weight? good grief!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nice to know another niche has been killed stone dead :mrgreen:

float
    Free Member

its the love child of a beach cruiser and a 29er. i like it 😀

singlespeedstu

float – Member

its the love child of a beach cruiser and a 29er.

That’s kind of what I had in mind when I had this built. 😉

100_1059 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2011_0314boatsanddaffs0023 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

emsz
    Free Member

Both v pretty bikes, like that it looks different to all the normal looking biks out there.

I’m a bit confused by the 29 thing though.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

i likey, but not with those handlebars

nickf
    Free Member

I don’t like the look of it – retro stuff never does much for me, if I’m honest – but more importantly, the frame weighs 7lb!

It looks like Ti, but it weighs like a boat anchor.

chakaping
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a Trek.

ss29er
    Free Member

I, too, have one of last years Sawyers – think I might even have been the owner Charlie spoke to at SSWC Ireland. As a SS I rode it across Wales and Ireland and back through a few trail centres.

With a 2.5″ front tyre to take the edge off the rigid fork it rode really well – stable enough to pull a Bob Yak no-handed, but quick enough steering to have to ride multiple runs on Cwm Rhyaedr (sp?) because I enjoyed it so much! The bars do look odd, but fit my wrist angle really well and just feel right with rigid forks. If I hadn’t just bought a better touring/bike packing option, I’d definitely be keeping it. If anyone is still looking for one, it’d go for £800.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If anyone is seriously interested in a 2010/2011? model (the grey framed version^), it appears that Wheelbase in Staveley, Nr Windemere have the 17.5 medium reduced to £899.

This is one of my favourite bikes from flamejob off here, sure he won’t mind.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

really like it, and if it upsets the nichesnobs simply because the brand is too mainstream then so much the better. Antiniche is the new niche. I’d ditch those bars (and gears) and shimano 475 hubs are anvils though.

Reminds me of the kona humu…. (made when kona were trendy/niche enough to be accepted)

as seen for sale here according to google search

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trek Sawyer… Well, um, hmmm…’ is closed to new replies.