Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • trans cambrian way – map advice please
  • peterich
    Free Member

Hi ive read many a post on this and im hoping to do it late march
    has anyone done it using the A3 maps you can buy from the IMBA site or do I need to buy a GPS (hope not as funds wont stretch to this.
    Even better if anyone has used them and wants to sell them on id be very interested
    Any other advice very appreciated
    thanks Pete

drovercycles
    Free Member

You can hire a GPS (Edge 800) with the route on, from us, if that helps.

Don’t know about the imba map but I’d probably take gps plus 1:25000 scale os maps, which we also have.

hegdehog
    Free Member

The IMBA maps + guide are very good & have a lot of additional info on them. Imo well worth the £9.50 if you’re not familiar with the area..

http://www.comecyclingledbury.com/bike-maps.html#TransCambrian

peterich
    Free Member

thanks for the advice

benman
    Free Member

I’ve got jpegs of the OS maps split over 3 days with the route on if that helps? Also GPX files of the route? If you send me an email I can forward them on (my email address is in my profile).

Its a cracking route to do, but the first day of navigation is VERY vague. Across fields with no signs / paths, and over locked gates. GPS would be a massive help.

smitghga34
    Free Member

I bikepacked the route last autumn and didn’t have a GPS as such, I used ViewRanger on my phone with the route marked out to help route find when I needed to. Also had maps. The gps/ViewRanger was very handy as some parts of the route are pretty vague for sure.

gasyz
    Free Member

Deffo try and get hold of a GPS.I did it last year,it took 14 hours and I was using GPS,still got slightly lost now and then.some tracks are vague and you have to keep questioning yourself as to whether you are on course.It’s no problem with paper maps,just more time consuming and over a long distance it can sure add up.
    I did notice some of the gates along the route have been marked with yellow insulation tape.
    GPS and back up paper maps is my advise

Clink

Ditto above. I did it last summer – GPS mapping made it so much easier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘trans cambrian way – map advice please’ is closed to new replies.