Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail/XC FS 29ers
  • pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I’m looking for a 29er to replace my slightly too small Giant Trance 26. To be used for everything from the occasional XC race to the occasional trip to the Alps/Scotland, but mostly around Swinley/Surrey Hills.

I guess my dream checklist would be: Lightweight, Carbon, 100/120mm rear travel, 120/140 front, 68/69 head angle, Shimano groupset and available in XL to suit someone 6’3″. Unfortunately my budget is around £2k, so something will have to give.

I’ve looked at the Salsa Horsethief, but a bit concerned about weight and climbing ability, Scott Genius looks good, but apparently shocks are a bit dodgy. Whyte 109/129 seem to have a few cracking issues and aren’t available in XL. Meta AM 29, like the Horsethief, perhaps a bit too much bike for the uphills. I had a look at a Felt Edict Nine 3, which with a slacker HA and a longer fork would be ideal, but as is its way too racy for me. Giant Anthem/Trance 29ers look reasonable, but are very ugly.

Has anyone got any of the above and want to persuade me of their brilliance, or alternatively got any other suggestions before I make up my mind?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Not sure your going to get carbon under 2k but just brought a Trek Fuel EX6 29ER £1700 and so far proving to be a good bike(only had 4days) the next model up is about £2100 i think! good luck and enjoy making your mind up 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Look at the Orbea Occam if you can. I really liked it. The Commencal is fantastic but it’s too much bike for what you are asking about.

Gee76
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering the same. BH Lynx 4.8 29er carbon fits the bill but not the budget sadly. Used Devinci Atlas looks good too!.

Geo on the new Kona Process 111 looks spot on but I expect at least a years wait to see if the do a carbon one!!

z1ppy

Dear god a couple of pic’s of broken Whyte’s and all of sudden there a death trap! Get a grip, all manufactures.. that right all manufacturers, suffer failures. It’s how well the manufacturer deal with it, that counts.
    If were going to talk about brands with bad records for broken frames, why the hell are you looking at Commencal’s?

The Whyte M109 (though not as slack at 100m as you’d like) would seemingly fit you requirments, but not budget for a the carbon frame version. There are also numerous ppl running the large that are 6″3′, without complaint.
    The Process looks great but has a PF92 BB, which since buying a PF frame I won’t be rushing to buy another (U/S POS).

timb34
    Free Member

Might be slightly on the racy side, but the Titus Rockstar will take a 120mm fork (according to the on-one website). If you can transfer groupset from the Trance then a self build could squeeze in under your budget.

There’s the BMC fourstroke as well, which comes in cheaper alloy or alloy/carbon versions.

Or sell a kidney and get an Ibis Ripley.

edit – sorry, just realised that the Rockstar only goes up to Large
    double edit – the BMC only goes up to large as well, but BMC say it’s for a rider up to 195 cm tall (about 6ft 4)

swavis

Transition Bandit 29?

trusty

Camber Evo?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Titus Rockstar.

timb34 – Member

edit – sorry, just realised that the Rockstar only goes up to Large

but it’s a large-large : 21.5″

Kryton57

Sant Cruz superlight 29?

vondally
    Free Member

Turner Sultan

Rocky Element

(admission own both)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Whyte isn’t ruled out, nor is anything not available in XL, I’ll just have to check that L is big enough, as it often isn’t. A lot of suggestions that I hadn’t thought of, thanks guys!

Also, has anyone tried a Ghost AMR 29er at all?

Clink

Sant Cruz superlight 29

I wouldn’t at your height. I owned one and suspension was good with the CTD shock and perfect geo with 120mm fork, but bendy at the back.

Or sell a kidney and get an Ibis Ripley.

Same here – ideal for what you want.

TooTall
    Free Member

Turner Sultan here too. More than big enough and capable enough for what you want to ride.

thegerminator
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for a 2nd hand bargain
    bagged a rocky mountain element 999rsl
    140 talas 34 kashima, full xt, stealth
    reverb,carbon bars, thomson stem, sun
    ringle tubeless wheelset with new wtb
    vigilante tyres, 2k,off pink bike canada
    including shipping 😀

chopchop
    Free Member

Yeti SB95, you’d have to go for a used frame to manage a build under 2k though. Deeply impressed with mine for all sorts of riding including the Brecon Beast and S Wales trail centres. The Trek Rumblefish is another very decent bike to consider.

Wally

Superlight 29er are really bendy when you push the back wheel side by side – but when riding you never notice any untoward bend.

harrison916
    Free Member

My first 29er… Yeti SB95 as per chopchop…. Great climber..good XC and just as competent DH as many more focused bits of kit….go for used frame to get in budget… Just check history to make sure you’re not buying something nicked..

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Just got myself a TranceX 29 frame from JE James for £729′ fitted a 120mm X-fusion Trace £560 and a pair of Hope hoops with Arch EX rims. Loving it. Orange 5 now hanging up unused!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Clink

Just got myself a TranceX 29 frame from JE James for £729′ fitted a 120mm X-fusion Trace £560 and a pair of Hope hoops with Arch EX rims. Loving it. Orange 5 now hanging up unused!

Does it come with a normal headset for tapered forks?

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Clink – Yes it comes with a headset fitted for a normal taper (1.5″- 1″1/8) fork. Also has adapator crown race in bag for fitting straight 1″1/8 steerers. So dont worry about it being Overdrive specific forks only.

cheers

CB

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trail/XC FS 29ers’ is closed to new replies.