Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Trails near Basel, Switzerland
  • zi99y
    Free Member

Hello everyone! Does anybody have any knowledge of trails in the Basel area of Switzerland?

big_scot_nanny

A bit, we ride around here. What are you looking for? Ash from these parts also a Basler, buti haven’t ridden with him yet as I am scared of his skills and fitness! I am fat and mince-core.

I think I read that you are moving out this way?

trails are pretty good, and there are plenty more within striking distance.

kev

ir12daveor
    Free Member

From Gempen down to Basle is quite fun. Flowy and not very tech but deffinitely puts a smile on your face. Across the border in Vosges is ace. I had the pleasure of riding there with Ash last year and it was top. I think he posted some photos of that weekend here somewhere.

Found them:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/vosges-endless-buff-singletrack-photos

I think there are a few other trails in and around the city and the Jura is also pretty close. Most of what I’ve discovered in the Jura so far though might involve a wee bit of a hike-a-bike.

big_scot_nanny

Just for some photographic interest, here is 2 from the Blauen ridge, which I think Dave had pointed out is technically the Jura! In which case, I agree is more tech than Gempen (sorry for shite photos!), but still brilliant fun!

I’m the, ahem, large gentleman making gang signs on the left.

We were up Gempen on Sunday, and it was absolutely brilliant fun, agree the swoopy rooty, rcoky downhill is completely worth it. Great fun. We had been guided towards some more trails from the summit (turn right off the road down from the cafe about 100m from the car park) that were more tech, great fun, and with added exposure 😯 , bit of a steep winch on fire road back to the summit though. I lugged the big camera up for some scenic shots, but the weather was not playing!

Happy to hook up.

Kev

ir12daveor
    Free Member

The epic hike a bike I experienced last Saturday was the Lindenburg ridge. It’s marked as a red single track on the map and I figured it would be a 40min hike a bike up and then ridable. Turned into a 2hr hike-a-bike and a descent on fire road. 🙁 It looks very similar to your photos though.

We hoped to make it from Delemont to Basle but had to bail out at Grellingen (sp?) due to making too slow progress.

That trail might be rideable the other way but it’s quite techy. I’ve ridden a few other ridgelines in the area that were more rideable but all have similar terrain, narrow rooty roky trail. If you have momentum it’s doable going uphill requires alot of effort. It;s easier to hike.

Zurioberland this weekend and the weather is going to be smashing. 🙂

big_scot_nanny

😆

We made that mistake thie first time we attacked blauen, using single track map we look at the dotted red in planning and thought, yep, that looks like a great trail. Did about three pedal strokes and walked up for half an hour! The ridge is rideable for most of it, but like you say, momentum really helps, which is really awfully unfair considering it is uphill as well. 😀

have fun at the weekend! Not sure where we are heading, but if you hear a noise like a train about to cark-it, that’ll be me riding uphil.

Kev

zi99y
    Free Member

Thanks for the local intelligence chaps, very useful. The photos look great! I’m moving there at the beginning of April and really looking forward to it, so would be up for getting involved in whatever is going on locally. Am just looking to get fit in the first instance, but have a quiet ambition to get on some big mountains in due course. We’ll see! My girlfriend thinks the immediate priority is buying furniture, it’s actually finding some trails, so this is a great help! Thanks again!

Richard

gusamc
    Free Member
    nordofjura
    Free Member

funny, seeing pictures of the trails i’m riding on a british website …

appart from the trails to the nearest jura hills gempen and blauen, you might want to buy this map in a bookshop in basel:

swiss singletrail map basel area

or have a look at this website:
    traildevils.ch

appart from that, i think ash is the one to ask. i have to hook up with him too for some riding in the black forest, that starts just about 15 min. away (north) of basel.

zi99y
    Free Member

Hello! Have relocated to Basel this week. Nice and sunny over here, isn’t it? Anyone up for a relatively chilled (I’m knackered) ride this weekend?

ash

Hi Zi99y,
    I’ve lived in Basel for 6 years or so now. There’s some fairly decent (bit boring after a while!) riding from the city if you have 2-3 hours spare. If you have half-a-day or more and are prepared to drive 30-40 minutes each way there’s some ACE stuff (e.g. in the Black Forest and Vosges).
    Happy to show you around although a tad busy at the minute… might be able to sneak a quick on in on Sat morning. Where are you living?
    Cheers
    Ash

zi99y
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply Ash. I’m living around 4054, just off Wanderstrasse. If you do get time for a quick ride, would definitely like to tag along. Although, I’m probably a bit slow at the moment. Otherwise, technically, I’m around for good, so would be happy to get a longer ride in when you have more time.
    Cheers!
    Richard

DoctorRad
    Free Member
    big_scot_nanny

Hi Richard,

At least a couple of us are heading for the Blauen ridge on Sunday morning (meet 8.05am at Ettingen tram stop). Prob a 2-3hr ride. if you fancy joining, pop me an email.

Hope the move went well, and your are figuring everything out!

Kev

Schweiz
    Free Member

Quite a little Basel community forming here!

I’m down the road in Aargau and was planning a ride with Ash in the next couple of weeks. Looks like we may have some company!

big_scot_nanny

Schweiz, I have some friends in Aargau, Lupfig-ish area. They are riders also. I don’t know you do I? 🙂

Kev

ash

WOW! Nordwestschweiz posse in da howse 😉
    I’m going to have a bit of time on Saturday to go out and play.
    Thinking Chrischona for about 3 hours. The best trail on Chrischona is almost always too muddy to enjoy but after all this dryness, it’ll be great on Saturday.

Meet at Wettsteinplatz at 10:00. Ride until about 13:00 and finish up back at Wettsteinplatz. Everyone welcome.
    Email me if you’re coming… sapaudia AT gmail DOT com

Schweiz
    Free Member

Kev,

Don’t think we know each other although I might know the aargauers you ride with. If they live in Lupfig then it’s likely they work for Alstom or ABB.

I won’t make it out this weekend as I have a ride planned on the road but next weekend I’d be keen for an early doors BL or Schwarzwald pootle

Cheers
    Jasper

big_scot_nanny

Schweiz – aye, all Alstom folk. Hope to bump into you soon.

Ash – I would love to join, but Sunday is my family approved riding day so I canna dae Saturday. Gutted! Do you happen to have a gpx of the route so I can explore? Or even point at google maps to the trail head?

Rich, have a great ride on Saturday, hope to join soon.

Gutted I can’t join the STW ex-pat NW Schweiz sic-to-the-power-of-rad boy-eez, I’ll post up next rides and if anyone wants to join would be great. Night rides also frequent, so maybe do that also.

Bis Bald!

Kev

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Trails near Basel, Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.