Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Trailcentres and their nearest A&E – is there a list?
  • waspfactory191
    Free Member

I broke my collar bone at Glentress on Sunday. I was with fiends and we were advised to go to the A&E at Galashiels. We used a roadmap and then when that became too difficult, we randomly followed ambulances until we found it.

This got me thinking. Whenever we go to a trailcentre, we usually make a note of the directions and post code, so maybe it would make sense to also note the nearest A&E location and postcode.

So, rather than start a list from scratch, I was wondering if such a parallel list of Trailcen tres and their local A&E’s already exits.

What do you think?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good on you for not callina n ambulance. Unfortunately Borders General is nearer Melrose than Galasheils.

waspfactory191
    Free Member

Yes, that’s where we ended up. Bit of a drive passed Galashiels.

Good service.

The first nurse I saw suggested they should close Glentress down. It sounded a bit harsh. But then she went on to tell me I was the fifth mountain biker, with a fracture that she had seen over the weekend.

WTF
    Free Member

Friend dislocated his shoulder (which wasn`t clear to start with) at GT and the ranger advised us to go to our local A+E (Glasgow btw) rather than local one as they were less equipped to deal with the situation according to him.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I too broke my collar bone last Sunday but at Innerleithen. Ambulance called and taken off to Borders hospital. Great service all in all! Have everything crossed that I’ll be able to ride soon! Any idea when you’ll be back on the bike wasp?

Drac

But then she went on to tell me I was the fifth mountain biker, with a fracture that she had seen over the weekend.

A fraction of those with injuries after fighting when drunk I’d say.

imnotverygood

I have it on good authority that GT is known as ‘That Awful Place’ in the Borders General.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

let’s start one, let me do the S. Wales ones

Cwmcarn – Royal Gwent NP20 2UB

Afan (both) – Morriston SA6 6NL (minor injuries unit at Port Talbot Hosp SA12 7BX)

Brechfa – West Wales General (SA31 2AF)

The Gap/Black MOuntains/Brecon Beacons – possible either Nevill Hall NP7 7EG or Prince Charles CF47 9DT depending where you are

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have heard anecdotes about he number of MTBers in Borders general.

Half a dozen fractures every weekend is about eh norm – local ambulance service have had to buy a 4×4 ambulance as well mainly for the MTBers

Drac – I doubt there is a huge number of drunks with fighting injuries. Its only a series of small towns. No big cities in BGH catchment.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think most sat navs have a “take me to the nearest…” thing and hospitals are included afaik. I don’t know how I’d get anywhere without mine 😆

hels
    Free Member

I have had that kind of attitude off NHS before too. This is as much of a direct quote as I can remember, but apparantely the mountain bikers are taking up space in ambulances that should be for local people (you know, those couch potatos and smokers that need ferried to the wards when they have heart attacks). A real inability to see the connection between places like Glentress and the ongoing economic viability of the region. And god help any foreigners that need the service.

TJ – you have clearly never been to Gala on a saturday night !

ratadog

Dalby regulars can form an orderly queue at Scarborough General, YO12 6QL

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hels – I was there last weekend actually 🙂 Not saying none but its not the same as Edinburgh in scale by any means

backhander
    Free Member

Ambulances at mendips (burrington combe) yesterday and cwmcarn today. Hope everyone was OK.

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Broke my wrist and ring finger at whinlater 4 weeks ago. Cottage hospital at keswick open for xray and plaster, however had to go to fracture clinic next day at cumberland infirmary in carlisle, then was admitted from there for an op! Was a little put out they all kept asking me if I had done it at ctr parks! Only 2 more weeks in plaster, hopefully …

CaptJon
    Free Member

We used a roadmap and then when that became too difficult…

Ummm, what?

mustard
    Free Member

I met a doc riding at Inners once who suggested that if we ever had to go to the Borders General that it might be an idea to say you fell off a horse – help with the stats and that 😆

Anyway is Little France not as close to GT as BGH? or at least as quick to get to?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ambulances at mendips (burrington combe) yesterday

The chap was in Bad Ass Bikes looking poorly. Box said the chap thought he’d had a heart attack 🙁

project
    Free Member

Just ring nhs direct and ask them for directions,if in doubt ring an ambulance, drunks and idiots do, just for fun.But just ask for directions unless seriously hurt.

backhander
    Free Member

Buzz, I’d heard his oppo on the mobile saying cardio-something or other. I think he was talking to the poor chaps mrs. Again, I hope he is OK.

Drac

Drac – I doubt there is a huge number of drunks with fighting injuries. Its only a series of small towns. No big cities in BGH catchment.

I’ve been there at the weekends, you’ll be surprised.

Hels – I was there last weekend actually Not saying none but its not the same as Edinburgh in scale by any means

Well you’d hope not.

project
    Free Member

paramedic car heading towards llandegla today, also ambulace coming the other way

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe.

waspfactory191
    Free Member

valleydaddy and ratadog – Thanks for the postcode details. I’ll add them to a list. Is there a way of uploading an MS Word doc, with the details, or do I have to cut and paste the details and post them on the forum in a thread? Happy to do that, if it’s the preferred way.

nsbikescore1 – Was your Innerliethen fall somewhere near the top of the red route? What time did you leave Borders after they let you go? (we may have met…).

Anyway, the consultant told me not to drive for three weeks and he’ll have another look at it then. I hope to be on the bike by then (probably just the hybrid at first).

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Wasp were you staying at the glentress hotel? And has your pal just got an alpine 160? If so our paths crossed! I’m off to the fracture clinic tomorrow and tentatively considering laser therapy for a speedier recovery. Good luck with your recovery!

fivespot
    Free Member

Coed Llandegla’s nearest A&E is Wrexham Mealor, only about 15 mins away. Judging by how many times I have seen their ambulance up there, it may be worth calling there before you venture up to Llandegla to ask them where the high risk areas are 😉

br
    Free Member

TJ – not been out in Gala/Hawick then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was out in Gala last Saturday night

ChrisL

The first time I broke my collarbone I was treated by a keen mountain biker, the second time the nurses wanted to know what trail section at Glentress I’d crashed on and didn’t sound hostile to mountain biking at all. Both times I was seen at ERI rather than Borders General, though.

From what I gather 5-a-side football causes a lot more injuries than mountain biking does.

highclimber
    Free Member

Lee quarry nearest A&E is blackburn Queens Park I believe. BB2 3HH

ampthill

I would genuinley love to know, over a life time who costs the NHS more

1. Couch potatoe.

2. MTBer, climber or footballer. Who are more likely to brake something and likely to need physio at soem point….

Thats a bit too simple but you know what I mean….

highclimber
    Free Member

I have never injured myself in 10 years of climbing (other than a few bruises here and there). in two years of MTB I have been in a&e twice.

chvck
    Free Member

Is there a way of uploading an MS Word doc, with the details, or do I have to cut and paste the details and post them on the forum in a thread? Happy to do that, if it’s the preferred way.

If you have a google account then just make a google docs spreadsheet and make it public so that everyone can access it.
    If you don’t have a google account then make one and do the above.

Gary_C

Lee quarry nearest A&E is blackburn Queens Park I believe. BB2 3HH

Know known as Royal Blackburn Hospital.

andyl
    Free Member

backhander – Member
    Ambulances at mendips (burrington combe) yesterday and cwmcarn today. Hope everyone was OK.

what time was that? I was up there late afternoon.

Was lucky to escape with superficial cuts (all over me and lots of ripped clothing) when I ended up impaled on a barbed wire fence. Was having a bad day that started with dropping a tree stump on my foot and then breaking my chain on the 1st climb.

Klunk
    Free Member

the nearest to penmachno & the marin is Bangor A&E, a truly depressing place.

boxelder

For whinlatter try MTFU01.

Air amb are often up there.

franksinatra

Friend dislocated his shoulder (which wasn`t clear to start with) at GT and the ranger advised us to go to our local A+E (Glasgow btw) rather than local one as they were less equipped to deal with the situation according to him.

People in the Borders have been injuring themselves playing rugby an awful lot longer than mountain biking, the BGH cen deal with a dislocated shoulder! It is not some minor injuries cottage hospital!

I asked my wife about how mountain bikers are recieved at the BGH, she is a Dr there and works in A+E. She just shrugged her shoulders and said it really isn’t a big deal, in her words ‘that is what A+E is for.’ A+E is a magnet for local losers, the staff generally welcome healthy but injured, polite, active and appreciative bikers.

ART

Having accompanied a badly injured friend to A&E at Borders general, I would say that the service received was excellent. Yes there were a couple of comments about the relationship between GT/inners etc and volume of incoming, but nothing significant.

hels
    Free Member

I can’t vouch for the BGH have never been there (touch wood etc) the attitude I got was from the Scottish Ambulance Service, which I believe is run as a separate entity. They believe they should have more cover because of places like Glentress and I see their point and absolutely agree, will go to any public meetings and show support etc, but threatening to refuse to attend as somebody is a biker not a local ned who got pissed and fell over was not really the way to go about it. Not to mention a bit illegal. Sorry bit of a sore point !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Trailcentres and their nearest A&E – is there a list?’ is closed to new replies.