Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trail running in Hertfordshire?
  • englishbob
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m going to be in Hertfordshire for a few days and unfortunatly will not have access to a bike. I do a fair bit of running, is there anyware there that’s good for an off-road run of round 15k?

regards
    Rob

qwerty
    Free Member

easiest bet would be 7.5km along the River Lee canal tow path and return, just keep your gob shut or you’ll eat loadsa flies

englishbob
    Free Member

Ideally I’d like to run something with hills. I live in Holland and don’t get the chance that often 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

where in “Hertfordshire” ? its pretty big

englishbob
    Free Member

Around St. Albans

IanMunro
    Free Member

I live just to the north of St. Albans, and run pretty much exclusively on the local trails. I can sort you a loop if you want?
    Might be a slight delay though as the shadow line has just started on bbc2

englishbob
    Free Member

Sounds good,

Another good episode! Manic characters, who the hell is Gatehouse???

I’ll be staying in Harpenden. Was wondering about Ashridge forest and/or Dunstable Downs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You could try this from Ashridge (I’ve run about 80% of it, but can’t vouch for the entire route)

10.8 miles and about 1500 feet of hills, with some great views.

englishbob
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for that, looks good!
    Is it available anyware as a GPS file download and any thoughts about running it clockwise versus anti-clockwise?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve just tried exporting it from Anquet, but anquet seems to produce gpx files with extra crap that nothing else understands so haven’t found anything else that reads it directly. I think both directions should be fine, but if you do it anti-clockwise you’ll get better views towards then end.

englishbob
    Free Member

I’ve put my e-mail address up in my profile. If you’d like to send me the GPX file I’ll see if I can fix it.

Thanks for your time!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If you need a bike & are staying in Harpenden then I can lend you one whilst your here, I live close to the town centre.
    Ian would be better at showing you about or giving you routes though, even if he is a bit strange.

Enjoy Billy’s 😉 (PS it’s shite, go to the Silver cup or The Arms)

Cheers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Only a bit?

englishbob
    Free Member

Yes I know the pubs. I grew up there.

If I visit I drink the arms or the cross keys. Havn’t been in the cup since I was 20!

Many thanks for the file Ian!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    Only a bit?

I am nothing if not polite 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trail running in Hertfordshire?’ is closed to new replies.