Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Trail centre litter
  • bensales
    Free Member

Boils my piss. The tally from Cannock today… several gel wrappers, an empty Jelly Babies bag, two mineral water bottles.

And an inner tube.

A sodding inner tube. Artfully draped over the way marker at the end of the Monkey Trail. Because obviously that’s where the inner tube fairies go to collect them from. FFS.

phatstanley
    Free Member

indeed.
    ditto.
    you picked it up, though…right?

bensales
    Free Member

I did indeed. And still got under 40 mins for the Dog 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more. I spend half the time picking up the tear off tabs from the gels packets scattered all over the trails. Put them in your bloody pocket for christ’s sakes. At Inners today and the car park is littered with bottles, crisp packets, sweet wrappers. What is wrong with people, bin it or take it home and bin it. Idiots.

coogan
    Free Member

Although the oddest thing I saw left behind yesterday at GT was a wheel. I complete wheel with the rotor and tyre still on it. Round the corner a glove. Was half expecting to find and arm or leg next.

bigjim

Goggle tear offs really boil my piss, if you aren’t racing, why why why? #soendooro

matt_outandabout

Trail wheres?

superfli
    Free Member

TBH I see more turds in a bag than anything else around my local trail centre. The gel wrappers I see are generally on the road, so I’m confident our local MTB’ers are well brought up chaps and chapeses 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

People still timing them selves around the Dog 🙄

bensales
    Free Member

Given it’s only the second time I’ve ridden it in 8 years, I felt entitled to time it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Although the oddest thing I saw left behind yesterday at GT was a wheel. I complete wheel with the rotor and tyre still on it. Round the corner a glove. Was half expecting to find and arm or leg next.

He’s out!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567410/Man-who-had-sex-with-bike-in-court.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

did you time the 200 rich 😉

poly
    Free Member

A sodding inner tube. Artfully draped over the way marker at the end of the Monkey Trail. Because obviously that’s where the inner tube fairies go to collect them from. FFS.

you picked it up, though…right?

I did indeed. And still got under 40 mins for the Dog

you do realise that makes you an inner tube fairy right?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Main stuff I see is around jump areas.

phatstanley
    Free Member

I did indeed. And still got under 40 mins for the Dog

nice. 😀

flip456
    Free Member

Hadn’t ridden a trail center for about 5 years until a recent trip to Llandegla and I was amazed at how much litter there was on the red trail. I’d have needed a coulpe of bin sacks to even make a start at clearing it up 🙁 . I came away feeling really pissed off that like minded people have no respect for the hills we ride in.

asbrooks

It’s not just trail centers. Was up at cut gate earlier this year, came down with more than I went up with.
    Just a general lack of respect.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Should add, photo I posted wasn’t a trail centre, but it’s the same all over. Swinley for example is terrible for litter around jump spots.

The gel packs around areas does bug me also, especially places where access is contentious.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cannock was bad today for litter.

I was in Swinnertons a while ago and a chap was asking what to do with his litter as there were no bins…I couldn’t believe it. If you’ve put full bars / gels / packets of whatever in your pack/pockets, you can put them back where they came from. Tools.

duncancallum

llandgela I have commented about before. theres some on the 7 stains too but not as much.

you go there to enjoy the Nice country side and the trails but yet you spread shite all around why?

It doesn’t do the sports image any favours.

bensales
    Free Member

poly – Member

you do realise that makes you an inner tube fairy right?

Everyone’s gotta have a fetish.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Take only photos / videos
    Leave only tyre tracks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The local groms tend to litter the local jumps, that’s true.

However, the worst I’ve seen recently has been the detritus left by the numerous Raphaites and Sportivistes on their

charity ridesraces, no really, I’m like almost a pro, I’m so serious about it

Grrr.

ajt123
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more. Revolting.

Especially energy gels, for some reason. Infuriating.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Symptomatic of lazy society I’m afraid, some people I’m guessing don’t like sticky gel packs in their shorts pockets……does it matter you inbreeds, your kits going to go through the washing machine anyway!
    Probably the same sorts of lazy bar stewards that can’t walk five metres to a bin at Mcadonalds etc……
    Or is it just stravaist types all in Lycra too fast and important to reach back and stick the gel wrapper into their back jersey pocket that they took it from?

kimbers

Gel wrappers at trail centres I just don’t get

1st of all its littering and that’s just fcking lazy

But its just the mindset of the strava hero pro smashing it round a nicely baby bottom smooth Sorrelesque red route, casually tossing aside his used wrappers with the self certainty of lance that really grinds my gears

bigdean

Worst i’ve seen was a “boil in the bag” meal packet shoved into the dry stone wall at hope cross.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Groms? Dear oh dear flashy…. 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

Picked up loads of rubbish at Ditchling after the Tour yesterday, took the shine off somewhat.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Just a general lack of respect

this

wrightyson
    Free Member

How many of these apparent mtb’ers who actually need to consume these “gel packs” is more of a question to me. Cannock 2 hrs on a bad day even for a newbie, surely the odd swig of water is enough, no?

jamj1974

OP – I pick up rubbish regularly at Cannock and other trail centres. You are not on your own in doing it or being disgusted.

wrightyson – Member
    How many of these apparent mtb’ers who actually need to consume these “gel packs” is more of a question to me. Cannock 2 hrs on a bad day even for a newbie, surely the odd swig of water is enough, no?

Usually I agree – today however recovering from a virus and a migraine I was dying on my arse and shite I needed a gel today!

milky1980
    Free Member

All the popular places suffer with litter, even if there are bins provided. If you ride a busy trail at night your lights pick up every bit of gel wrapper/reflector/crisp packet!!

The end stile on the black option on White’s at Afan seems to breed inner tubes. I counted over thirty on it at one point!! Whenever I see a fat rider squeezing through it, the combination of a tight fit and sweat against rubber makes some interesting sounds 😆

justatheory
    Free Member

Littering in general really pisses me off. I’m ashamed to say the UK is really bad for it. Selfishness, stupidity and a lack of respect.

ontor
    Free Member

Did a litter-pick after the “tidy up” following an XC race recently and still came away with 2 bin bags full…

njee20
    Free Member

Or is it just stravaist types all in Lycra too fast and important to reach back and stick the gel wrapper into their back jersey pocket that they took it from?

Reckon that’s unfair, gels for weekend rides are really the preserve of the fat weekend warrior IMO, if we’re going to single out a group!

No excuse for it whatsoever, tying tubes to trees and what not, just ridiculous.

jameso

Gel wrappers use at trail centres I just don’t get

Gels – rubbish for non-racers, packaged badly and resulting in more trail litter than anything else. It’s not just cyclists either, a local charity 1/2 marathon means gel wrappers every 5 yards along one of the nicest roads in the area.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Glad to hear others are picking the rubbish up on the Chase. I try to do a litter pick on the Dog once a week and the Monkey every two weeks. Usually end up with a bin bag of rubbish each time. More Lucozade bottles than any other bottle followed by Red Bull. Gel sachets and their tabs are found all round the trails, more time must be wasted drinking the stuff than time gained!
    Sandwich packs, chocolate bar wrappers, in particular Boost wrappers and someone drops his cigarette packets on a regular basis usually at the top of Cardiac Hill or the top of Lower Cliff.

jameso

A lot of appreciation for litter-picker-uppers here. But .. If you pick up other peoples’ litter does the issue stay hidden? Do litterbugs get into a ‘ah f-it it all gets cleared in a few weeks by someone..’ mentality?
    I leave it for others to see and be disgusted by too. Eventually people see the level of the problem in some areas.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I think the opposite. If people see rubbish they may think its ok to throw theirs.
    Unfortunately it seems to be younger riders who don’t have the respect for the countryside or trails, ive told off a good few teenagers dropping stuff on my travels, some pic it back up, others just ignore me or tell me where to go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Trail centre litter’ is closed to new replies.