• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Traditional bike for someone 5ft tall
  • wwaswas

My wife loves the look of Pashley bikes but the smallest frame they do is 17″ which I think is going to be too big for her.

Anything out there that’s a similar vintage style and quality that’s available in smaller sizes?

scotroutes

I’d have thought that a small Pashley ladies bike might still fit – assuming that the designers took into account the smaller stature of their intended customers. I think the smallest go down to a 27″ inside leg (or thereabouts).

wwaswas

She’s about a 25″ inside leg, I think.

moniex
    Free Member

Get a Dutch one (called “oma fiets. “) and just get a kids one. Or just get a kids one here. Seen a few girls on my cycling courses with those kind of bikes. I’d say 5ft and 25” inside leg is definitely kids size….especially in Dutch bikes!

During my last visit home (holland) my mums neighbours 12 year old girl was 6ft tall!

moniex
    Free Member

Perhaps check inside leg again, even at 5ft, 25″ sounds really short, especially for a woman.

wwaswas

Will have a look round at kids Dutch bikes, thanks.

She’s taught 9 year olds taller than her so it makes sense.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Does it have to be new? What about an old dawes non folding kingpin?

Pretty
    Light
    Standard threads so easy to update.
    Small

Funky wheelsize but they can be swapped out.

robdob
    Free Member

My wife is 4’11” and has a 27″ inside leg. She rides a XS Specialized Vita and a 12.5″ GT MTB. I think it is possible you need to check that inside leg measurement again to be sure. Anyway I would recommend Specialized for very small bikes for women as they are the only company that does them well at a reasonable price AND imports them into the UK! I did look at a Scott for my wife and a couple of other brands but the UK importers said they didn’t bring the very small ones over.

As far as “traditional” bikes go, I think you will struggle. Things like Pashleys sell in very small numbers compared to the big companies and it may not be worth them making very small sizes unless it’s kids stuff.

Good luck anyway.

robdob
    Free Member

My wife’s road bike as mentioned above.

And her MTB on the right.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you really need to get her on a Princess before dismissing it. We’ve got a 17in Sonnet (same frame) here in the shop and it’s pretty small. Pashley bikes are also very free on the sizing, it’s quite common to go up a size just t get a more upright riding position for example.
    We’ve got lots of Pashleys in stock – West London based stores if you’re in the area.

wwaswas

We’ll find someone local with a Pashley and give it a go (Brighton). She has a 13″ specialized mtb currently.

wwaswas

Well we found an lbs with a Pashley and my wife now owns this:

Thanks everyone for your input.

scotroutes

JoeG
    Free Member

With the bars that high, can she see over the basket? 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Traditional bike for someone 5ft tall’ is closed to new replies.