Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Touran Steering Column suspected failure after adjusting whilst driving??
  • brant
    Free Member

That’s what the RAC said to a mates wife… Adjusted driving position whilst going along. Now it’s gone tits up.

Coincidence?

I’ve adjusted steering wheels in loads of cars whilst driving and never had an issue.

zokes
    Free Member

I dunno, but just about every car I’ve driven has specifically said not to adjust the wheel whilst driving. I thought it was more to do with loss of control, rather than breaking it though

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That would explain the failure of Mrs Coolhandlukes steering column on her ex easy jet hire car at only 140,000 miles on a 9 year old car.

All those hire car drivers adjusting the steering column whilst driving along.

brant
    Free Member

It does sound like bolloxks to me.

edlong
    Free Member

Sounds feasible to me, the joint was subject to lateral forces while already under load from rotational forces, which it’s not designed to cope with.

Given the potential consequences and the likelihood that users will do this , you’d think manufacturers would over engineer to compensate. Still a stupid thing to do though.

Cougar

Sounds bobbins to me too. You’re only supposed to do it when stationary for the same reason you should set your seat position, mirrors, sat nav etc when stationary too. Driving with an unsecured steering wheel might just, y’know, be a slight bit hazardous.

Could be wrong, of course. But I can’t immediately see how it could cause damage, there’s not a lot of force going through a steering column when you’re driving in a straight line.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Touran Steering Column suspected failure after adjusting whilst driving??’ is closed to new replies.