Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tour de Cairngorms – photos from weekend.
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just back from a good 200km weekender. Started in Blair Atholl on Saturday morning and rode to Tomintoul via A9 Sustrans, Gaick Pass, Glen Tromie, Inschriach, Rothiemurchus, Glenmore and Glen Brown. Brilliant B&B and a great meal last night and back via Glen Avon, Loch Builg, Culardoch, Braemar, White Bridge, Glen Tilt today. Great weather, some brilliant riding and a very sore arse (too much weight on the back and a rather sparse saddle).

Twins

Loch an Duin, Gaick Pass

Heading to Loch an Eilein

In Glen Avon

Loch Builg trails

Bedford Memorial Bridge

(Click here for full set)

fizzer
    Free Member

Falls of Tarf April ’09

Wonderful country, sir

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Good effort.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sartie, I rode up Glen Tilt and camped at the fall of Tarf a couple of weekends ago. I went up to Feelar (sp?) Lodge.

Is the trail at that fork bob trailable to Braemar?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Is the trail at that fork bob trailable to Braemar?

It would test your patience I think. Quite a few kms of narrow, rocky singletrack interspersed with burn crossings and some boggy bits and some hairy drops to the river in places. If you managed it to Bynack Lodge, you’d be home and dry but it’d be very hard work I think (though I’ve never ridden with a trailer).

You out Wednesday?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Should be. The guy that does my books is meeting me for a ride on Wednesday afternoon at GT. So if can get back in one piece I’ll come back via Dunfermline. Where are you meeting? A postcode would be good for the sat nav. I dont know the town that well.

radoggair
    Free Member

stuart c, is it time for a summer STW meet and ride yet. Would love to try west highland way but would prefer with someone who has knowledge of the trail???

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Radoggair, I think you’d find the WYW a bit to tame for someone of your ability. Think about the Cairan Path from the Blackwater Dam to Kinlochleven if you are in Glencoe

NZCol

hijack – Hello, i’ll be in St Andrews from this Saturday for 10 days and will have bike + car and keen for a ride either near St Andrews or Dalgety Bay where my sis lives. I’ll probably ride from St Andrews down to the Bay again (did it before) using the coast path from Crail area. Anyhoo, will be around and not doing much other than parent visiting 🙂

NZCol

oh and reasonably fit (semi-pro adv racer) and happy to ride anything really…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Good stuff guys.

McM. – I’ll email you GPS location tonight.

Radoggair – I’ll be on for some big days in the near future but will be away for two weeks 15th – 29th July. How about sowing the seed on here and see if there is sufficient interest?

NZCol – evening rides? Email in profile if you want a night out in the Lomonds or at Pitmedden.

Cheers,
    SC

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Radoggair – you on for starting a thread for a summer ride?

cuckoo
    Free Member

great pics 8)

radoggair
    Free Member

bugger it lets start a thread on here for a summer stw scotland meet (welcome to all countries origins and sexies – that includes Jojo)

First – where?
    second – when?
    Thirdly – no crashing on road at beginning of day!!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Torridon? Never been there. Ben A Bhuird & Ben Avon near Braemar? End of July? Camping possibly?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’d be well up for that. Would vote for Ben a Bhuird and also a circuit of Loch Muick from Easter Balmoral, up to Lochnagar round Carn a Choire Bhoidheach then Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn – Stuart I bet you’ve already done it. Both easily rideable from Braemar.

The midges in Torridon in July would be truly awful, and are apparently especially viscious this year

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d be up up for that Captain. I got eaten alive by the midgies on the west coast recently. There is a new bunkhouse in Ballater with plasma screens in the bedrooms. I’ll try and find it a post it up here.

messiah
    Free Member

I love the Cairngorms, here are A few pics from an Epic Cairngorm trip a few of us maniacs did in April 2009. Braemar – Aviemore – Braemar

We did not do a circuit of the Cairngorms but went right through the middle and then back over the top. It’s been a few years since we last did this… you need good weather. We lucked in with the snow, it was awesome.

Special thanks to Fox Europe and Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen… I had a problem with my Fox shorts on this trip and Fox supplied me with a new set. Excellent shorts and excellent service, Cheers!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

mcmoonter, would you be up for doing the Lochnagar circuit to try it out? Should be confirmed this week that I am redundant, so have plenty of time, and can get to Braemar reasonably easily. Mail in profile

messiah – that looks stunning. What was the route?

notlocal
    Free Member

The bunkhouse is called Habitat, and is next door to a VERY tasty Italian restaurant. Order the Steak or Chicken Spiedino (spelling?). Cooked on a skewer with spicy sausage, mmmnnammamam.

notlocal
    Free Member

http://www.habitat-at-ballater.com for details. Sorry, couldn’t post the link as I’m at work and my computer is taking ages to load the full thread.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks notlocal. Looks amazing for a bunkhouse. YGM

AndyP
    Free Member

‘de’?
    ‘Cairngorms’ is a plural, is it not?
    That’s almost as bad as ‘Etape du Dales’.

Now write it out a thousand times. and if it’s not done by sunrise, I’ll cut your balls off.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring YGM

Cheers Notlocal.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

AndyP, are you bored by any chance?

AndyP
    Free Member

Far from it. A spot of pedantry livens up any morning.

Ace pics btw

messiah
    Free Member

Route? Hmmm, I make a habit of not posting these things on open forums after something that happened a few years ago.
    Feel free to mail me if you want.

There are some good route’s around Lochnagar and Ben a Bhuird. I was up both last month :o)

Lochnagar routes depend if you want to ride as much as possible, or are looking for “interesting” descents ;o)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pedants unite!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tour de Cairngorms – photos from weekend.’ is closed to new replies.