Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tomorrow morning i plan to make a cup of tea with water heated by our compost…
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Having cut the grass yesterday, the decaying grass cuttings are kicking out so much heat that you can’t even place your hand in the compost without burning it. So, we’ve buried a plastic bottle of water into the compost to see if it can heat it enough for a cup of tea, tomorrow morning.

…what could possibly go wrong :/

Drac

Plastic water bottle in a enough heat to boil water, I wonder what could go wrong.

qwerty
    Free Member

Today, it was so hot it created wormicide, all the compost worms has come to the top centre of the compost and died a boiled death.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Put the dead worms in the bottle, then tomorrow you can have soup.

samuri
    Free Member

put some eggs in there, then you can have a proper breakfast

bearnecessities

we’ve buried a plastic bottle of water into the compost to see if it can heat it enough for a cup of tea

I am a psychic, and you will be using a kettle tomorrow morning.

put some eggs in there, then you can have a proper breakfast

Slightly warm raw eggs on toast warm bread?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Aluminium bottle?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/physics.html
    If you do get it hot enough to boil water (100c) then you will kill off all the good stuff.

Nothing to stop you using it as a water pre heater though as a method of regulating the temperature.

qwerty
    Free Member

IT WORKED!!! It made a cup of tea so hot you couldn’t neck it, had to be sipped. I couldn’t hold the bottle (which had gone soft) as it was so hot.

Just read that link above, will cool mine a bit. Does it make me a compost geek if I now want a temperature guage for each of my 3 composts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure it does mean you don’t know how to make a proper cup of tea which should be done with boiling water though not just hot 🙂

I may be off to patent my compost heap water preheat system as an alternative to Solar and dug in ground source.

bearnecessities

You’re kidding?! Fair play 😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Hurrah!

I have learned so much today already.

grum
    Free Member

Not sure it does mean you don’t know how to make a proper cup of tea which should be done with boiling water though not just hot

Incorrect.

Tom83

This needs to turn into a ‘will it blend?’ style web episode where you cook stuff and see if its edible or if you can melt toy soldiers etc using the power of your compost.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

are we doing not at 100c Grum or boiling isn’t 100c?
    All of the decent black tea I have here is 100c, so is the Chai. There are some of the more interesting white teas that I think are better done at 80 to avoid burning them which is still best done with boiling water added to cold. (http://www.t2tea.com/library/t2-experience/cherry-bomb/teas/silver-needles-2/ this being one of my exceptions)

dbcooper
    Free Member

There are no rules about making tea, to make a proper cup of tea, just means making it how we like.

I find unless the kettle has just boiled that very second my tea tastes yucky.

The rest of you can do it however you like, I embrace your individuality.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

For all of your tea brewing needs! Actually it pretty much says what dbcooper just said up there:

Clicky loose leaf tea brewing guide

Mind you there’s nowt there about tea bags or compost (heated) water!

Trimix
    Free Member

Brilliant, try slow cooking something next – Eggs ? Meat ? Caserole ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tomorrow morning i plan to make a cup of tea with water heated by our compost…’ is closed to new replies.