• This topic has 52 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Toddler dies after being left in car.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

An Italian toddler has died after being left in a hot car by her father who had forgotten to drop her off at day care.

Doctors in the city of Ancona declared the 22-month-old dead, three days after the father returned from work to find her barely breathing in his car.

The man, a professor of veterinary medicine, told investigators that he had inexplicably thought he had left her at a nursery on the way to work.

Prosecutors are due to decide whether to charge him with manslaughter.

The mother appealed for understanding for her partner, named as Lucio Petrizzi.

She told Italian media that what had happened to him “could have happened to anyone”.

“I want to shout to the entire world how much my companion loved his daughter. He is an exemplary father,” said the mother.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13493266

Poor guy must be absolutely devastated.

molgrips
    Free Member

How awful 🙁

In fact I wish I’d never read this or seen the title 🙁

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s unfortunately a once a summer headline here in France.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont want to troll on this as if it is genuine how dreadful however

Doctors in the city of Ancona declared the 22-month-old dead, three days after the father returned from work to find her barely breathing in his car.

The man, a professor of veterinary medicine, told investigators that he had inexplicably thought he had left her at a nursery on the way to work.
    she was mean to to be in day care for three days and no one noticed she was missing … I am suspicious tbh

thegreatape
    Free Member

I read it as she was declared dead 3 days after the day of the incident, not that she was in the car for 3 days.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Junkyard – read it again and you’ll find that she was left in the car for the day and died three days later.

Edukator
    Free Member

Would you be equally suspicious if it were the mother, Junkyard?

Edit:

“Elle n’a pas déposé la fillette chez la nourrice comme elle le faisait habituellement.”

“She didn’t leave drop the little girl off at the nanny as she normmaly did.”

There have been cases of people going on holiday and forgetting a kid in sevice areas only to phone the gendarmes panic stricken a few hours later.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😳
    sorry in that case how **** awful [ not just my reading]

project
    Free Member

Sadly as said above it does happen, every year, but it cant help the family or the child to know that.

Its just a very sad story.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Don’t really understand what you hope to achieve from posting this.

yunki
    Free Member

brings a tear to your eye that one..

DrP

I’m with Molgrips – not a very nice time for anyone there.

DrP

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s one of those rare cases where a tragic headline might save another child’s life, Foxychick. The publicity cases like this have got mean people just call the gendarmes if they see a kid alone in a car on a hot day – not to do so being an offence, “non-assistance à personne en danger”. So post away, Zulus.

rustler
    Free Member

Remember an identical case on tv, but in the US. Truly awful. Poor thing.

grahamh
    Free Member

Tragic for the family as this was.
    Was this not a story line on CSI..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I read it like that too Junkyard ……I thought they were saying that the father hadn’t realised that the child had been left in the car for three days. It didn’t make any sense to me, but I didn’t think it sounded suspicious, just confusing. I didn’t want to dwell on the story and didn’t want to read the full article, so I let it go.

EDIT : btw I’m not wanting to argue Edukator, but do you really think publicity is an issue here ? Without knowing the full details of the case, I don’t get the impression that the child died because the father, or any potential passer byers, hadn’t realised how dangerous it is to leave a 22 month child on its own locked in a car.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FoxyChick – Member

Don’t really understand what you hope to achieve from posting this.

I am with you on this – its rubbernecking again.

Edukator
    Free Member

A child saved. Now would the person have felt happy about breaking the window if there hadn’t been two deaths very much in the media in June 08?

We slag off the media but it can play a useful pedagogical role.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your link’s not working for me Edukator, but fair enough – I’m just surprised that people need educating on the subject. I can understand that some people might not realise just how quickly a dog can die in a hot car, so that needs plenty of publicity, but I would have thought that most people realised that no baby/toddler should ever be left in a car.

cbike
    Free Member

I concur, These threads serve no useful purpose.

As do “helicopter at Swinley etc. I hope they are all right Threads.”

Give people a bit of respect and privacy and don’t gossip about them. If the person invloved wishes to divulge a disaster that’s up to them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

link works if you can read French…..now if olyn I knew what any of the words meant

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cbike – Member

I concur, These threads serve no useful purpose.

As do “helicopter at Swinley etc. I hope they are all right Threads.”

Give people a bit of respect and privacy and don’t gossip about them. If the person invloved wishes to divulge a disaster that’s up to them.

Yup – I got flamed for suggesting it tho

Edukator
    Free Member

Well the link shows a photo of a car with a broken window and the story in as few words as possible:

A grandfather left a kid in a car in Avignon in August and went shopping. 35°C and the car parked in the shade. The sun moved around onto the car, the car got hot and after half an hour somebody noticed the kid in distress. The person broke the window and handed the kid over to supermarket security. The granfather came back after an hour to be charged by the procureur. He was eventullay let off though.

Edukator
    Free Member

“Helicoptr at Swinley” and “helicopter at so and so cliff” are ghoul threads highly unlikely to save anyone else form a similar fate – I didn’t reply to either. This one I mulled over, decided it might raise awareness for anyone reading and decided to contribute to as it was obviously going to get a similar reaction to the helico threads and I thought it might be amusing to see how I got on defending the OP.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Can you save the petty bickering for another thread please. I posted this thread to point out that these things do happen and hoped that it might make people think a wee bit more about leaving their kids in cars or forgetting to drop them at nursery. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edukator
    Free Member

Hopefully it’s done more than that Zulus. Hopefully not only will people be more careful with their own kids but they’ll also just smash a window and get the kid out if they notice a child apparently “sleeping” or clearly distressed in a car in the sun on a hot day.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and hoped that it might make people think a wee bit more about leaving their kids in cars or forgetting to drop them at nursery.

Yeah I’m sure people won’t ‘forget to drop their kids at the nursery’ now, as a result of this thread. Good call.

toppers3933
    Free Member

that is absolutely dreadful. that poor kid. made me cry. i wish i had not read it to be honest.

crikey
    Free Member

STW, where no tragedy is too important to bitch about.

Coyote
    Free Member

Much as this is a tragic event, and it is, I am firmly with TJ and Foxy here.

that is absolutely dreadful. that poor kid. made me cry. i wish i had not read it to be honest.

How is this story in the public interest other than to provoke responses like this?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just another thread brought to you by SBZ meant to get a rise.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m intrigued. Have TJ, Ernie, Foxy, Coyote and Steve Austin read my posts? If you have guys and girl, challenge my logic rather than slag off Zulus.

They make no reference to my impecable logic and evidence that the French at least are now confident to smash windows and save kids rather than walk by. How many people saw that Italian child in the car but didn’t do anything? Perhaps because they didn’t feel obliged or simply because they feared being charged with criminal damage and kidnapping. After the medai coverage in France no-one is afraid to save a child.

oddjob
    Free Member

There was a similar case here in Denmark a couple of years ago but it was a baby and he/she was dead when the Dad got back to the car at the end of the day.

Truly dreadful

GrahamS

Read this story last night – I really feel for the poor parents, they must be in bits. 🙁

Strikes a chord with me as it is exactly the kind of stupid thing I worry about doing myself.

Some days the missus drops off our little one at nursery, some days I do. It’s on the way to work for both of us. It would be all too easy to slip into half-asleep autopilot, drive past the nursery and straight to work.

I checked the empty car seat twice before I got out the car this morning 😳

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m intrigued. Have TJ, Ernie, Foxy, Coyote and Steve Austin read my posts? If you have guys and girl, challenge my logic rather than slag off Zulus.

They make no reference to my impecable logic

I did – I referred to your “impeccable logic” more then once. I even asked you a direct question with regards to it, which you answered – so I can’t really accuse you of not reading my posts. Tell me therefore, what was the purpose of that remark …….apart from perhaps stoking the thread for more argument ?

And btw, I have no desire to “slag off Zulus”. If wants to claim that he only posted this thread because he had, quote, “hoped that it might make people think a wee bit more about leaving their kids in cars or forgetting to drop them at nursery”, then that comment speaks for itself – people can decide for themselves whether this tragic incident could have been avoided, if only had the professor of veterinary medicine been reminded by someone that forgetting to drop your kid off at the nursery and leaving them in the car is dangerous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes I have read your posts. I refute your logic, you are clearly trolling, I think this sort of post is distasteful rubbernecking, I see no educational value in it.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ernie, you and the others I named keep ignoring the bit about public awareness will mean that passers by will save kids. Public awareness is therefore a good thing.

Edukator
    Free Member

I haven’t been trolling, I now will.

Would TJ, Ernie, Foxy, Coyote and Steve Austin clearly state that they do not believe public awareness that children die in hot cars will never lead to a child being saved.

And that despite evidence that children are now saved rather than left to die in France.

GrahamS

Bickering over this topic is tasteless – lets just leave it eh?

Edukator
    Free Member

No, Graham I won’t leave leave it. This thread isn’t tasteless or rubbernecking as some would have it, it’s a case of learning from the mistakes of others rather than your own. It’s in the same category as road safty campaigns that include leaving wrecks at the side of the road and putting up black silhouettes at fatal accident sites.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Toddler dies after being left in car.’ is closed to new replies.