Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Todays Top Tip – when 'speed chilling' beer it is best……….
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

to try and recall that you've already had 4, don't really need the 5th as you;re likely to fall asleep and forget where you put it……

The morning after……

Freezer 1 – Pernoni 0

cp

that'll teach you to drink it all in one sitting 🙂

i've done the same – six bottles of Speights (in NZ)… though they just popped the tops off and a frozen 'riser' of beer came out the top!

Shack
    Free Member

Makes very refreshing lolly the next day

marsdenman
    Free Member

Had crossed my mind to give it a try but too much glass about…..

TimP
    Free Member

Done it with white wine as a student

A real pain to clean up. Did not even feature in Flatmate of the Week for it. Came 4th out of 3 as my mate's bird did some washing up raising her above me in the rankings

Grimy
    Free Member

I Used to do that all the time, but never quite as spectactualy as that. Mine usually just push the lids off. Now I set the alarm on the cooker as soon as I put any beer in the freezer to remind me to take them back out after 40 minutes. Theres always far to much random shizzle floating round my head to remember otherwise. 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need some VacuVin chiller jackets!

allthepies
    Free Member

Been there, done that 🙂

midgebait
    Free Member

Got the t-shirt 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I've thought of doing this before; take the lid off, pour some out, stick a wooden spoon in it and then freeze. Once frozen smash the glass off somehow.

Olly
    Free Member

haha, excellent.

sometimes, you can get them to not freeze, as the bottle is clean, so there are new nucleae to start the crystals on, (i think it only works JUST past 0 degrees too), but the bottle comes out with liquid in it, and as soon as you release the pressure, it freezes in the bottle in a matter of moments.

never done it myself, but no reason not to believe the person who told me about it :s

GrahamS

smash the glass off somehow.

Silly question: but wouldn't it be easier to just pour the beer into a non-glass container to start with before you freeze it? Or does that ruin the artistic integrity of the piece? 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did that with a bottle of becks once. But only the water froze and the bottle didnt break. Popped the top off and drained off the neat alcohol. God tasted worse than tennents super lager. Never again.
    Coke is nice if it starts to get ice crystals in it when you freeze it.

funkynick

A friend of mine managed to slice through his fingers with a broken wine glass while washing up and while he was at the hospital getting his nerves and tendons sewn back together there was a woman in there with him who had far worse injuries than him, her whole hand wass sliced to bits, all tendons cut etc… she'd put a bottle of wine in the freezer to chill down, and then when she had reached in and picked the bottle up it exploded due to the thermal shock of her hand against it… the surgeon said it was one of the most common causes of that type of hand injury…

It certainly stopped me putting bottle in the freezer after that! So I think CapnFlashie's suggestion would be the one to go for!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it's a good way of improving the strength of cheap vodka

chvck
    Free Member

but wouldn't it be easier to just pour the beer into a non-glass container to start with before you freeze it?

haha sounds daft but I hadn't thought of that!

stumpy01

Normally when I have done this it's pushed the lid off.

Last time, I over-did the cooling it stayed liquid and then as I poured it into the glass, loads of frozen beer crystals formed. It was like slush puppy – beer flavoured! It was great!

Mister-P
    Free Member

You killed a Peroni? Bastard!

momentum
    Free Member

Slush puppy beer is good.

The frozen beer thing happened to me once while sleeping in a tent in Lapland – the beer was in the tent too, as was the champagne that froze solid. Luckily my sleeping bag was good!

mushrooms
    Free Member
    skidartist
    Free Member

What an invention – the savory coke float – swapping the coke for beer and the ice cream for mushy peas.

Genius

I think I felt myself evolve slightly just looking at the picture

marsdenman
    Free Member

mister p – yes, sorry, have since beaten myself with more than one empty bottle as penance …..

skidartist – i did look at the pic and think the only thing missing from it was a frozen pork pie !

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Shake the bottles first and they stay liquid longer…

… unfortunately they tend to freeze as you pour them

Bez

Oh my. I had no idea you could buy mushy peas by the frozen bagload.

This news is as good as when I found out you could by pork and pickle pies in a tube.

/runs to Google/

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

My missus did that with a magnum of champagne… I was apoplectic! And we had the most expensive ice cubes. I'm getting raged just thinking about it! 👿

MrNutt
    Free Member

bucket + ice + salt
    stir
    very very cold bottle of beer/wine/cans/etc very quick!

the salt does the trick

thomthumb
    Free Member

exploded due to the thermal shock

don't believe that for a minute. temp difference of 50degC?

CaptJon
    Free Member

freezer at -18ºC and hand at body temperature..?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Todays Top Tip – when 'speed chilling' beer it is best……….’ is closed to new replies.