Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • To Everyone Who Scraped Me Off The Floor at FoD Yesterday…
  • mintimperial

…thank you! Especially the Scottish chap who talked me back into consciousness, I can’t recall your name but you’re an absolute star. Thanks also to the first-aiders from the shop and everyone else who helped with getting me into the ambulance in one piece. For the record, I didn’t sustain any major injuries and I’m pretty much fine, just cuts, bruises, a very stiff neck, and fifteen or so stitches in my face.

Top tip: don’t take an unfamiliar demo bike to trails you’ve never ridden before when you’re not feeling very well. You’ll end up ballsing up a jump and then using your head as a brake, which will knock you out cold and result in you spending the day in Gloucester A and E getting your spine checked out and your face stitched back together. I have to say the NHS is bloody marvellous, the paramedics, doctors, radiographers and nurses who dealt with me did a top-notch job, every one of them.

I’m still not entirely sure what went wrong on that jump, all I can recall is parting company with the bike, looking down at the surprisingly distant floor from a very alarming angle and thinking “This is going to hurt…” It did.

Taped to the trolley for a few hours before getting the all-clear from the docs:

Full-facer looks like it did it’s job:

A complete and utter idiot earlier today:

backtothetop
    Free Member

ouch,glad your ok, what jump was it on?

matt_outandabout

oooof, glad you are ok(ish)!
    Strangers can be ace, eh?

fubar
    Free Member

so now we’ve established you are going to be okay – how is the bike, did it sustain any damage ?

shakers
    Free Member

Was the trail okay?

mintimperial

what jump was it on?

The jump-berm combination sequence thingy at the bottom of Endo, I think? Just before you get back to the uplift pick-up. I honestly can’t recall which exact bit or which trail I came in on, it’s all very hazy.

so now we’ve established you are going to be okay – how is the bike, did it sustain any damage ?

[quote]Was the trail okay?[/quote]

It was a Patriot on demo, and it’s fine. Actually I should mention that I got it from Wheelspin in Huddersfield and once they’d stopped laughing at me they very kindly waived the demo fee, bless ’em.

I left a noticeable dent in the trail, apparently, and quite a bit of the red stuff…

grum
    Free Member

Ouch, glad you are (mostly) ok. 🙂

I take it you were on the DH trails – can you remember which one?

Edit: oh, too slow!

nbt

Oh dear. chicks dig scars and all that, better tell the missus to be ready to fight to keep you now 🙂

franksinatra

The medical staff appear to have attached one of those comedy plastic nose and glasses sets to your face.

br
    Free Member

Good job the bike was undamaged, it not been yours’. 😉

My son managed to split his lip, tongue and chin-bone while wearing a full-facer – as you say, good job you were wearing one.

And presumably you’ve added the ‘idiot’ tag as your concussion meant that you’d worn your Dad’s cardie by ,mistake 🙂

Bunnyhop

Tom – so glad you’re o.k.
    See if you don’t go out riding with us pootlers look what happens.

Mend soon.

STATO
    Free Member

Ouch, looks like you were saved from a fair bit of damage by the helmet but its quite obviously split/snapped around the mouth piece. Having seen a mate take a chin guard to the teeth this summer due to ‘mtb’ style fitting system on his mtb-fullface and now this im starting to think of using my MX helmet again for DH. Sure its hotter but a mtb-fullface is still sweaty as makes no difference and the protection is much stronger/better fitting.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Awwwww mate, looks like you did a good job there!! Glad you’re ok and back out soon.
    Nathan.

wobbem
    Free Member

Would seem your nose is longer than your helmet 🙂 Heal soon and get a nose job….. 8)

cnud
    Free Member

Think I counted 4 ambulances at the FOD today, none for me though. Healing vibes to all those in need

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Saw a young lad riding a DH rig up from the Dilke today with his arm in a sling , must be the season for it.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Must be the season for it :wink:I think its been the year for it.Best they get an ambulance based down there.In reallyness.

r17anm
    Free Member

Wow thats with the full face on ! Wouldnt like to see the results with an open face

mintimperial

Cheers for the kind wishes all. On the mend now I think.

Best they get an ambulance based down there.

I asked the paramedic if they got a lot of MTBers in from FoD but she didn’t seem to think that they did, she said she was more used to dealing with people who’d fallen off their horses and that. One of the doctors was a rider too, but he didn’t say that cyclists take up lots of his time. It even turned out that the chap in charge of the A and E bit I was in had provided medical cover for races on the side in the past – he reeled off quite a list of names that he’d encountered over the years, both in XC and DH, but he seemed quite pleased to meet some riders he could talk to for a change. So on balance I don’t think Gloucester Royal is clogged up with plonkers like me every weekend.

presumably you’ve added the ‘idiot’ tag as your concussion meant that you’d worn your Dad’s cardie

DO NOT DIS THE CARDIE.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Glad they were nice to you.Back in eighties they use to get very off with people when they came in there with motorcross racing injuries.Glad they have lighten up now.Hope your soon jumping a bike again.

brakes
    Free Member

did you have an op on your head? why did they shave your forehead?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Those are some big glasses.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Just got from there myself, at least 4 or 5 riders getting patched up. Take easy out there it hurts…. RTC – FTW!

Oh and thanks to Gloucester Ambulance service for being awesome, Gloucester Royal Emergency for being super nice and patching my head back together!

mrphil
    Free Member

Ouch!

Get well soon.

Here’s hoping for a discount on your next helmet.

greegz
    Free Member

Hi Tom, just picked up the chat re. last friday at FOD when our paths crossed at the bottom of Endo – not the best of circumstances mind you !! – anyways, glad to read that you were patched up … assume the photos are well out of date by now and the blood and bruises have vanished ….. it was your helmet I recognised !!!
    Only too glad to help out at the time.

Hope you get back on your bike again soon ….. try taking the stabilisers off before you do a DH route again !!

Gregor … the “Scottish chap” !

mintimperial

Aha! Hi Gregor, thanks for sorting me out last week, very much appreciated! I definitely owe you a pint or something if we meet again.

Most of the scabs have fallen off now, and the physio says my neck will mend by itself, so just got to have the stitches out next week. Then time to take the stabilisers off, but maybe on some smaller jumps… 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘To Everyone Who Scraped Me Off The Floor at FoD Yesterday…’ is closed to new replies.