Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • TJ, George, any other Edinburghians.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Can you suggest to me a nice restaurant to take the wife for lunch on a Saturday. City Centre somewhere. Not fussy what style/speciality, just somewhere nice. Thanks.

fatmax

Oloroso, Centotre, Room in the Town – all pretty central…i’ll have a think and i’m sure you’ll get other suggestions…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not been for lunch in the city for years and I tend to eat in leith. I am told the museum restaurant is good but I have not been.

Sorry = can’t help more

http://www.list.co.uk/place/100345-tower-restaurant/

druidh
    Free Member

Hendersons Bistro in Thistle Street?
    http://www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/bistro.php

fatmax

Henderson’s is veggie – is that right? My bro was up recently and liked the seafood at the Mussel Inn and Fishers…

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – all veggie. I’m not a veggie myself, but the food here is so good I don’t care.

geoffj

The Witchery on the high street is nice

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers, those look just the job. Might have to have more than one lunch.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s been years since I had lunch out in Edinburgh.

TheFlyingOx

That Petit Folie on one if the roads between George Street and Queen Street is quite nice

hels
    Free Member

Hmm, the Tower is a bit over-priced I reckon if you are paying for it yourself !

Do you mean nice as in good food and relaxing, or as in Big White Plates and snooty Sommelier ?

Agree Room in the Town, although Room in the West End is more central, and Teuchters above it good bar.

I would go French – Petite Folie in the West End, with a nice wine bar in the old Polish Church behind it.

Mother India good too – Indian Tapas so lunch sized.

Tiger Lily food surprisingly good, if you can ignore the clientele.

(realising I lunch too much !)

beinbhan

The Dome bottom of George st food nothing special except the price but the xmas decorations are worth seeing

fatmax

Agree with positive comments for Teuchters for beer and La Petit Folie on Frederick street too…

thegreatape
    Free Member

As in good food and relaxing.

hels
    Free Member

There is a good French place in the grassmarket, most places there are rubbish but have had a few good lunches there. Mussel Inn has gone downhill I have heard, which is a shame.

And if you like wine – take her here:

http://www.divinoedinburgh.com/ the restaurant upstairs is bog standard Italian but the wine place is dead cosy and they do big sample plates of nice cheese and ham and bread and general Italian snackiness. Then you can pop next door for a cocktail at Under the Stairs (which also does good lunch but has a more Boho type feel)

Mike-E
    whatnobeer
    Free Member

La Garrigue, Jeffrey Street

http://www.lagarrigue.co.uk/lagarrigue/index.htm

+1

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Home

light lunches and wine

Stu_N

Plenty of places do a prix fixee for lunch

+2 for La Garrigue, the lunch menu is exceptionally good value. (Also L’escargot blanc and l’escargot bleu on a french trip if La Garrigue is full).

Of places not mentioned above, Harvey Nics Fourth Floor Bistro also good value for lunch IIRC.

Centotre for Italian but they are “all day” menu so no lunchtime value bargains.

If you’re looking for really fancy, Castle Terrace Restaurant and The Kitchin both do a good value lunch (Castle Terrace is jawdroppingly amazing, less impressed by Kitchin). You’ll be looking at phoning on Thurs or Fri and getting lucky with a cancellation for them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘TJ, George, any other Edinburghians.’ is closed to new replies.