Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • tips for taking up running without killing my legs
  • oblique
    Free Member

I have followed the advice in here but didn’t use any of the plans. Loads of stretches, run/walk etc. The first week i did three two mile run/walks and felt fine. Second week went up to three miles. the first run was ok but gave me a niggling ache in my knee 5 days later it was feeling better so did 3 miles in 30 mins and was quite happy but it has left my knee really painful. Gave it 5 days off but was still too painful to run this weekend. It is now painful to run and aches when walking. I guess i should i give myself more time off with ice and ibuprofen gel and go back to 2 miles but should i go out for bike rides in the mean time or will the hinder my knees recovery?

BigJohn

Recipe for Happiness: Find what you’re not cut out to do and stop doing it.
    Recipe for Misery: As above, but keep doing it.

franksinatra

This book changed my life. Totally inspiring and makes you want to run more

Born to Run

16stonepig
    Free Member

This one was quite good, but I’m also a fan of his normal books.

EDIT: As normal as he gets, anyway.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Sorry oblique for the hijack but I just thought I’d update my progress towards my first half marathon on 29th May.

I’m managing to get for 3 x training runs most weeks & I’m also off road riding, commuting & playing footie too to help out. Today I did my first 8 mile non-stop run & I’m currently running @ 10 min mile pace. Ok I’m not gonna set any records but I’m confident that I can complete the distance on the day albeit slowly.

I’m grateful for the tips on here from the regular runners you really have helped a newbie out. The best tips i’ve had are:

walk the first 400m & last 400m as a warm up/warm down
    do stretches before & after running
    don’t tie your laces too tight
    don’t increase your distance too much too soon
    don’t run too fast pace yourself
    don’t wear a T shirt under your running top in mild weather – Christ I also died running that day 😥
    build in rest days to recover
    I prefer to run first thing before breakfast & before it gets too hot

Thanks once again & only 5 weeks to the big one!

bassspine
    Free Member

DO NOT NOT WEAR A STOPWATCH.

I’m finding this confusing…

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Well today it was the big one for me at the Plymouth Half Marathon. I managed to complete the route in 2hrs 20mins which was about 30mins faster than I thought I’d do it in.

Many Thanks to all those who gave advice on running, training & clothes/shoes etc. It was very much appreciated.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well done, but what kept you? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice one. Never mind SBZ…he fails to comprehend how anyone could take any more than an hour to do it. I believe he’s probably the fastest runner here…whatever the distance 🙄

oopnorth
    Free Member

Good effort! I have taken up running to try and get fit, doing 5k 3 or 4 times a week in 30 mins, its killing me!! I don’t know how people manage to run 10k or more…it seems a long way off for me.

crispybacon
    Free Member

oop north – keep going mate & build up slowly. I’m 50 in a month & I was out running 2 or 3 times a week from February, starting with 1mile, then 2.5, then 4, then 5, then 7 & finally 8miles non-stop.

For me pacing myself was the key to running the 13.1 miles & was also for me a run into unknown territory but the people cheering me on seemed to help. Don’t give up mate & keep up the training runs. I’ve also noticed the benefits from running with more endurance on my bike rides too 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you run on your bike rides?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘tips for taking up running without killing my legs’ is closed to new replies.