Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 379 total)
  • Tim Farron
  • aracer
    Free Member

Well JC has his own thread, and I thought it the most appropriate place to discuss his religious views amongst other stuff.

wallop

It’s a problem for me. I’m a Liberal, but he puts me off the Lib Dems.

devash
    Free Member

You won’t get many replies sadly, because the resident STW Tory trolls don’t see Farron or the Lib Dems as a threat (they were bedbuddies from 2010-2015 after all).

corroded
    Free Member

What bearing do his religious views have on Lib Dem policies?

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d like to try to push him through the eye of a needle. Ditto to Wallop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#FishFinger

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What bearing do his religious views have on Lib Dem policies?

http://www.libdems.org.uk/issues

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can’t Christians participate in our democracy?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

He’s my MP and he’s a good bloke. Not a natural lib Dems myself but I’ll be voting for him to keep the blue **** out of my constituency. I’ve met him a couple of times and he never once shoved a crucifix up my anus. He did (help) save our post office and commiserated me when my bike fell in half on Garburn pass.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Of course they can, as long as they promise to lay off on all that crusading lark..

Sandwich

His voting record on LGBT issues is exemplary and his religious beliefs do not appear to impair his ability to be a reasonable human being.
    There appears to be a concerted effort to embarrass him by professional excrement-stirrers in the media. Their efforts show more about them than about their target.

Edit to remove profanity that the swear filter missed due to a hyphen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not keen on his religious views. However, I think too much is being made of them by either anti-religionists or those with a beef with LibDems in general, as shown on the other thread.

Quite dismaying in that discussion is the anger in some men about their ever-weakening grip on what women do with their bodies. But that’s another discussion.

I’d consider voting LibDem as I agree with a lot of their policies and would do so if they were a serious threat to either a Tory or Labour candidate. I bet they wish they had Clegg back. He’d have made far more hay out of the febrile post-referendum atmosphere than Farron can.

Anyway, a vote for them in my constituency would do nothing more than increase the chance of a Tory winning and preventing that is the most important issue for me.

outofbreath
    Free Member

, as long as they promise to lay off on all that crusading lar

😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Well JC has his own thread, and I thought it the most appropriate place to discuss his religious views amongst other stuff.

About as appropriate as a Sadiq Khan thread in the same vien

wallop

DD+1.

Which constituency are you in, DD?

Edukator
    Free Member

It depends whether they put their faith before humanism and old testament bile before the universal declaration on human rights, Cynic-al. It would also be nice if they were remotely christian in their life style and behaviour. Have a read of the good book and you’ll come to the conclusion that Farron is going to have a hard time at the pearly gates.

onewheelgood

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jIASUokK08[/video]

Watch his conference speech from earlier this year and see what you think. As for his religion, it doesn’t seem to interfere with his liberal views. Contrary to the impression you might get from the press and social media his voting record on LGBT issues is pretty good.

loddrik
    Free Member

Religion is more of a ‘sin’ than any of the ‘sins’ they decry.

aracer
    Free Member

Should such discussion just hijack the thread about the election then (as it was/is)? Because it’s being discussed whether there’s a separate thread for it or not.

Not that I’m sure what would be so taboo about discussing Sadiq Khan’s religious beliefs if anybody was at all interested in discussing that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Brizzle East wallop – Kerry Mc Carthy.

(Guessing you’re South (Karin Smyth)?

zippykona

As one of the many people who have joined the party I shall of course be voting for him.
    There is no other choice.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve not quite gone that far, but as the originator of this thread I should declare (as I have elsewhere) that I will be voting Lib Dem – and not even having to cross my fingers or hold my nose to do so (assuming we don’t get a total arse like our last 2 Lib-Dem candidates have been, in which case such measures might be necessary).

wallop

Yep, south. But I know nothing about Karin Smyth!

Kerry McCarthy generally seems like a good egg though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surley the point of being a liberal is that you think it’s important for people to act according to their own moral judgement..?

In which case, he can very happily vote for LBGT rights whilst still having his own private opinion.

Along similar lines, I can’t stand mayonnaise, it’s bloody disgusting, but I wouldn’t vote for it to be banned if I was asked to. You lot can all eat it. As long as I’m not nearby.

Edukator
    Free Member

*checks e-mails* 🙁

tjagain

Sandwich – Member

His voting record on LGBT issues is exemplary and his religious beliefs do not appear to impair his ability to be a reasonable human being.

Neither of those are true

He has voted for registrars ( public employees remember) to be able to discriminate against homosexuals, he has voted to allow religious discrimination.

He has voted agaisnt party policy when it clashes with his religious views

Northwind

Sandwich – Member

His voting record on LGBT issues is exemplary

Well that really depends on what exemplary means to you, in the context of LGBT rights. If you think they should continue to be discriminated against then yes, probably.

tjagain

Surley the point of being a liberal is that you think it’s important for people to act according to their own moral judgement..?

Nope – because that takes you into the area of allowing religious or racial discrimination if you have a strong moral stance that you must

Tarnation – I have let myself get sucked into this

Laters peeps

jambalaya
    Free Member

What are all those Remainers going to do now ? There goes their saviour. Turns out he is just a very naughty boy 😉

aracer
    Free Member

You already were, way before I started this thread!

tjagain

Oh indeed. comment meant for both threads 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

What is this lib dem party about? 😆

hatter

Farron’s Christianity was actually one of the main reasons why I was so wary of the party but two things brought me round:

A: The more Lib Dems I meet the more I’m reassureed that if Farron’s faith lead to any attempt to enact any kind of homophobic policies he’d be out on his arse. The party at large would not wear it for a minute.

B: No political leader or party is going to be perfect, if you decide to wait for perfection you’ll be waiting forever, if the party is broadly inline with your beliefs then join it, then you can influence it.

So, yup, fully paid up Lib Dem now.

Garry_Lager

Was excuciating seeing him give that contorted answer to his ‘position’ on homosexuality – just the political incompetence of it. Interviewer ambles down the green, gently lobs a gentle, telegraphed, long hop down the wicket, and the batsman contrives to wallop himself in the bollox with his own bat.

Nick Clegg is in a different league – very able, to use a Toryism. But politics dictate he has no standing at the present time.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Nick Clegg is in a different league

Christ yeah, he’s accepted by everyone who’s worked with him as being seriously talented. When he was working as a researcher multiple political parties were fighting to get him to join them, and the liberals won. (I suspect because he realized he’d be a big fish in a small pond.)

He probably thought when he became leader he’d made the right call. I expect hes now wishing he’d joined the Tory party, he’d a least be a minister and who’s to say he wouldn’t be leader?

wallop

Yeah I’ve never understood the flak Clegg receives – I’ve always been impressed by him.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve never understood the flak Clegg receives – I’ve always been impressed by him.

Cos he’s an Oxbridge robot that could’ve played for any of the teams in his inexorable March to success and didn’t really give a shit which team that was? Rather than someone who found themselves? there due to some affinity with the policies of the party?

tjagain

Clegg would have made a good tory. He was an awful lib dem whos actions led to the parties collapse

mikey74
    Free Member

Cos he’s an Oxbridge robot that could’ve played for any of the teams in his inexorable March to success and didn’t really give a shit which team that was? Rather than someone who found themselves? there due to some affinity with the policies of the party?

Isn’t this the problem with politics these days? it would seem anyone with any conviction in their beliefs is ridiculed and doesn’t get anywhere. In order to get somewhere, you need to be somewhat of a policy/belief chameleon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Tim Farron’ is closed to new replies.