Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Those bikepack saddle bags – any good?
  • AlasdairMc

I’m attempting a LeJog this summer on my cross bike, and don’t have rack mounts. I’d like to do it without panniers if at all possible anyway so the bikepack bags seem like an idea. Are they any good? I’m torn between one of these or a Carradice SQR Trax but the bikepack one seems more versatile.

Once I’m done on the LeJog I’d use it for regular offroad touring on my MTB hence not going for a more road friendly solution.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve just put a deposit down for a seat pack and and handlebar pack from porcelainrocket. There’s a 6-week waiting list at the moment, so I’m really just booking my place in that queue. Revelate and bikepack.eu seem to have a bit of a backlog too.

d45yth
    Free Member

Scroll down to two of my posts on another thread from earlier today: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/revelate-tangle-frame-bag

Aidan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t plan on putting a lot of weight into a saddle-bag on a road bike. I’ve tried it with a Revelate bag and I had to be really careful not to swing the bike around when climbing as the wagging effect of the bag was making the frame bend in a frightening way.

It’ll probably be fine if you load it with bulky lightweight stuff.

I’m expecting to get my hands on a non-waggy rear bag to try soon, should be interesting.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m expecting to get my hands on a non-waggy rear bag to try soon, should be interesting.

After watching it for a weekend, the non wagging bag does what it says on the tin.
    I was very impressed at the non waggyness.

jonba
    Free Member

Have a look at bare bones or the really long thread on here (which I can’t remember the title of something like “sick as a dog show me your bivvy kit”). You could bike pack it using a drybag under the bars and one as a sadle bag. Alternatively you could try a post mounted rack, I think they can take 25kg.

Alpkit stuff always seems recommended and is cheap.

Nick

I’ve just ordered a bag from Pawel in Poland –

http://www.bikepack.eu/shop/uk/

It’s for use on the Welsh Ride Thing, seems well regarded for the price (£70 inc delivery), he’s promised to get it to me by the end of May 🙂

Flatfishy/Aiden/ is the new non-waggy one from Wildcat by any chance?

trail_rat
    Free Member

ask any audaxer what the bag to get is – its duck cotton carradice.

ive got a long flap camper + support rack for commuting and light touring on and off road. only critism is that off road its very wide and catches your thighs when you move your weight back.

if you dont have a brooks youll need the retro fit kit to give you loops to fit too.

cant say ive noticed it wagging even on my road bike when audaxing – certainly nothing like panniers.

– had a slight accident with a couple of friends tandems trailer on a long climb

druidh
    Free Member

I just got an email from Scott at PorcelainRocket – looks like late May / early June for them too.

Looks like all the usual suspects are overwhelmed by demand!

druidh
    Free Member

MSP

I just got an email from Scott at PorcelainRocket – looks like late May / early June for them too.

Looks like all the usual suspects are overwhelmed by demand!

Yep, I ordered a saddle pack from bikepack.eu at the beginning of the month, hope I get it in time for my first trip of the year in a couple of weeks.

I was going to order a frame pack from wildcat as well, but as I am intending to change my bike next winter, and with the 8 week turnaround, I don’t think it will be worth it.

I must be better organised for next year.

fasthaggis

LeJog set up 🙂

Using the bag and rack on the MTB for the coast2coast this weekend,so should make it easy for manualling over stuff 😉

AlasdairMc

trail_rat – I’ve got a Brooks, my one concern on the Longflap was stability offroad, even with a Bagman. The SQR Trax was tempting as well, but if I could get something slightly lighter and designed for offroad I’d be happy.

I suppose that having a Brooks I could stabilise the bikepack back with a strap through the bag loops as I could cinch it tighter than the ones the bag currently has.

MSP

Anyway if you can’t get a proper one in time, this is what I am currently using.

The fastenings come from an ortileb saddlebag, and a 6l exped drybag.

nedrapier

Ha!

I was about to suggest a similar thing. I reckon a drybag with some daisy chains sewn onto the outside and some webbing strap round the seatpost/saddle rails would give you a great solution, with as little wagging as you like, depending on load weight and how tight you cinched it. Not one for the work shirt, though!

Something a bit like this:

rudedog
    Free Member

Ha!

I was about to suggest a similar thing. I reckon a drybag with some daisy chains sewn onto the outside and some webbing strap round the seatpost/saddle rails would give you a great solution, with as little wagging as you like, depending on load weight and how tight you cinched it. Not one for the work shirt, though!

Something a bit like this:

Thats pretty much what I do with the Alpkit drybag but just use 3 luggage straps which keeps it pretty steady – I’ll post some pics when I get a chance.

nedrapier

is it grey, and do you use orange straps?

AlasdairMc

I’ve used one of them for my sleeping bag around the bars and it was perfect – might need to dig it out and see what I can bodge…

MSP

I have used one on the bars as well, but couldn’t get it to sit right under the saddle.

druidh
    Free Member

I was considering one if those as a bar bag, but lining it with foam mat to give it some shape and prevent it interfering with levers etc.

MSP

If you stuff it tightly with soft stuff, sleeping bag, clothes sct. Then no need for the foam

rudedog
    Free Member

Aye, the trick is to pack them really well – I put my sleeping bag and tent in the 13L alpkit which goes under/behind the seat.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Those bikepack saddle bags – any good?’ is closed to new replies.