Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • This South Peaks /Sheffield route starting at Eyam-Bakewell, is it any good?
  • jekkyl

This route starts at Eyam and goes round Stoney Middleton and almost into bakewell.
    http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district/12-eyam-a-bakewell.html

Thinking of doing this route next saturday afternoon, new area to me. Just wondering if anyone reckons it’s any good or if they have tips to make easier to navigate or bits to extend it by about 5 miles or so?
    Thanks

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Loads of bits I’d change about that route – you’re essentially doing all the stuff that DCC has f***ed up over the last few years, and there seems to be a lot of road.

Between 1 & 2 I’d go up past the Riley Graves – all offroad and a nice little descent, especially if you take the FP option that finishes a bit further north along the road.

Coombs Dale is technically a footpath, but I think it’s tolerated for bikes these days.

I would do the loop of 4 and 7 the other way round – the climb from 3 to High Rake is a steep grasy slog, the one to 7 is much nicer. Then from 7 I’d go straight to 4, although bear in mind that all the descents into Rowland have either been tarmacced or covered in scalpings.

From Pilsey, I’d head to Edensor and do the offroad climb up past the church.

The golfcourse descent into Bakewell is lovely, but I heard something recently about it being closed? Could be wrong, or its happening in the future.

Rather than taking the Monsal trail, head through Baekwell (there’s a really nice deli on the RHS just past the island on the N. leg of the A6, then do the b/way climb up and over Eweclose. Much more interesting.

When you get back up to Deep Rake, persoanlly I’d say that the Peak Pasture descent into Calver is far more fun than slogging up Black Harry Gate (steep loose gravel) and Eyam Quarry isn’t the most exciting descent. You could go back up Coombs Dale and do both if you’re so inclined.

If you do end up in Calver, then you can go back up to Eyam off road via the “Cliff” track from Stoney.

jekkyl

Great, excellent detailed reply Jon, really appreciate that. I’ll now spend a while trying to work out what you said against a map and rewrite the directions. 🙂
    Would you be free to join me at all? hopefully starting between 12 & 1 sat 28th.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘This South Peaks /Sheffield route starting at Eyam-Bakewell, is it any good?’ is closed to new replies.