Home Forums Bike Forum This is what riding in The Lakes is all about.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • This is what riding in The Lakes is all about.
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I grew up in the Lakes, so I guess I’ve always measured everywhere else against it. This is especially true as a mountain biker. Just seen this video posted up “elsewhere”, but to me it encapsulated everything the riding in the Lake District is all about.

There has been far,far too much petty bickering around here lately, and it sometimes seems like we can forget why we do all this bike riding stuff in the first place. Well, if you find yourself getting a bit tired of all the usual guff that can float around forums like this, then close down the laptop, pack the car, and head North up the M6.

By the end of the weekend, you’ll have forgotten what you were arguing about.

Have a great weekend folks.

(oh, remember to pack the gore-tex though)

philfive
    Free Member

Grizedale forest?

flatfish
    Free Member

Great wee vid that was.

radoggair
    Free Member

nice vid but totally missed the essence of lakes riding. Lakes riding includes steep steep climbs, tricky off camber rooty x-country sections but unfortunatley like most videos, showing the downs is the only thing to do, although it did show them climbing with their bikes on their backs which happens as well

paulevans
    Free Member

I’d welcome any one with knowledge of where that lot was shot. The fell section – was that coming down off Helvellyn, or was thinking Gates Garth or Nan Bield, but couldn’t see Kentmere reservoir or Haweswater in the background.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

postierich
    Free Member

Gatesgarth apparantly! has it been sanatised,bit of a false impression seeing that both parts are miles apart!!!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Fell section, deff. coming down gatesgarth. Although it could be misleading because ( I think) the bike carrying beforehand looks like its nan bield. As for the forrest, that’s where I’m going on Sunday 😀

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Nice but tame

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I still haven’t worked out where “The Black” is in Grizedale! Any pointers 😉

faz083
    Free Member

3 riders with no kit or water climb a mountain and ride down? great role models.

flatfish
    Free Member

faz083 – Member
    3 riders with no kit or water climb a mountain and ride down? great role models.

Glad it wasn’t just me that thought that.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Capt. Kronos – Member
    I still haven’t worked out where “The Black” is in Grizedale! Any pointers
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Sounds strange but its best to start at the end rather than the beginning :

So, to get to the finish, climb up the fireroad from the visitor center, go 180 degrees round the bend and up the hill. You’ll see the start of the North Face Traill on the left, carry on another 150 yards and the finish is on the left hand side.
    To get to start, just before the finish you’ll see a bridleway heading up the hill, go all the way up to the top and then turn right and carry on up the hill. You’ll see the start on the right hand side. You can’t miss it as there 3 big steps to get down / jump over to start.
    That’s the area ill be in on Sunday, strava look out ! 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Aaaah – cheers. I was assuming it came off the North Face Trail somewhere along the way and couldn’t work out why I wasn’t finding it!

Tomorrow I must fix the bike though. Assuming my bits arrive! And get to Wheelbase to discuss an impending purchase 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Glad I could help 😉 As for the new purchase, you do know pics are compulsory 😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

I enjoyed it visually, but had to watch with the sound down, could be so much better with a change of soundtrack.

rickmeister

The M6 ends a fair few miles south of me… he said in pedant mode…

theblackmount
    Free Member

>pack the car, and head North up the M6.,<

Yeah it looks ok – for England 😉

I’ll stick to heading North up the A9 😉

boxelder

They’ve got plenty of kit on and are surrounded by water. You don’t need loads of kit if you know what you’re doing. Hundreds ride the Christalp etc in shorts/race clothing.

righog
    Free Member

Bagstard – Member
    I enjoyed it visually, but had to watch with the sound down, could be so much better with a change of soundtrack.

Funny old world. I had never heard the soundtrack before and absolutely loved it, a quick google revealing it to be…The Builders and the Butchers..Black Dresses.

The video ( do people still say that ?) was great as well.

jamj1974

I think you might be missing the point watching this for “role models”…? Surely a promotional film is about advertising first and as a result is meant to be inspirational rather than instructive!

grum
    Free Member

Well me and my gf really enjoyed it. Nicely filmed and edited. Certainly encapsulated the usual Lake District weather/riding, nice and wet. 🙂

There are some moany buggers on here aren’t there.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Pictures of whatever I get will be forthcoming! May be a few weeks yet though 🙁

For the Scottish contingent – the riding here is pretty damn good. I emigrated from Stirling a few years back, but even then would travel south for a weekend in the Lakes every now and again (few times a year). As well as the Dales and the Peaks. It’s all riding, and it is all good!

chakaping

Nice little film, cheers for sharing.

Getting me stoked for my impending visit to Lakes.

(Cameraman probably had the water, btw)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hey chakaping, let me know when you’re up and I’ll show around Grizedale if you like. Pretty sure you’ve got my email address ?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Nice vid – didn’t mind the soundtrack. Trails look a bit tame though – especially the ‘fell’ bit. Surely there’s much better to go at in the Lakes.

d45yth
    Free Member

Trails look a bit tame though – especially the ‘fell’ bit. Surely there’s much better to go at in the Lakes.

+1, I’d be sick if I’d hike-a-biked and ended up riding down something as smooth as that! It is nicely shot though.

colournoise

Was the forest stuff Grizedale?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Suitably equipped or not, it’s a beautifully shot film, just makes me want to get out there!

_tom_
    Free Member

The forest stuff looked fun. Rest of it not really my kind of riding but still a nice video 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

Was the forest stuff Grizedale?

Yes, it’s already been mentioned that it’s the black route, some bits are the bridleways in there too.

Drac

I don’t ride my bike enough, loved that.

ampthill

Well shot video. Altura officialy endorsing trail erosion…

alpin
    Free Member

Not sure what to make of the shortcuts taken….

And the first mountainy section looked quite boring to ride; wide open bridal way. Meh. And trail centres don’t really get my blood pumping.

Nice scenery, mind.

scuzz
    Free Member

I’m a bit cynical about the things you like, because I am better than you…

tomaso
    Free Member

The Fell ride is down Gatesgarth to Haweswater and while its fun in a smooth loose fast way its not really something to justify the climb up the other side of Gatesgarth from Sadgill. IMO Nan Bield is better if you going to go up Gategarth. But it is a very scenic backdrop for what was a nicely edited vid.

chakaping

I’m a bit cynical about the things you like, because I am better than you…

Innit, ironic given the OP’s reason for posting it.

globalti
    Free Member

Nice intense colours.

Sanny
    Free Member

Nice film. The lack of gear with them doesn’t concern me in the slightest. It’s a film, that’s all! Nicely filmed and I quite liked the soundtrack. As for it being typical Lakes riding, if those are the trails you ride regularly then clearly it is. I’m not convinced watching folk riding up hill makes for a good film but it’s definitely a big part of classic Lakeland riding for me.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘This is what riding in The Lakes is all about.’ is closed to new replies.