• This topic has 22 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by BFITH.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • They said there'll be snow at Christmas. They said there'll be peace on earth.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But instead it just kept on raining.

#RIPGregLake

neilthewheel

Oof, sad news. That sour little song was the best Christmas record ever.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Shocked, ELP fan. Best live concert I ever attended was ELP at the Albert Hall in the late 70s.

C’est la vie.

cinnamon_girl

😯

Was very much a fan of ELP, had seen them live a few times where he used to play whilst standing on a Persian rug.

So that leaves Carl Palmer then?

footflaps

That sour little song was the best Christmas record ever.

+1

slowoldman

Oh blimey! I see the Beeb have him as “King Crimson”s Greg Lake”.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Looks like “the show that never ends” is ending

I was also an ELP fan in the 70s but never managed to see them live.

I like that “I Believe in Father Christmas” is such a subversive song and it always amuses me that so many people say they like it without obviously having listened to the lyrics.

Nico
    Free Member

He just sneaked in to 2016.

plumber
    Free Member

That sour little song was the best Christmas record ever.

+1

The second best pop song ever written.

gordimhor

A lot of ELP passed me by but I really enjoyed Pictures from an Exhibition and the above sour wee song said more to me about Christmas than all the “festive hits” RIP Greg Lake

trail_rat
    Free Member

Be nice if it was xmas number one again instead of talent factor…..

tenfoot

It’s always been my favourite Christmas song, taking me back to being a kid again, every time I hear it.

Bless you Greg

kcal

likewise transported back to idyllic Christmases. And King Crimson and ELP obviously.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really sad about this. Massive fan of Keith Emerson and now Greg.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So that leaves Carl Palmer then?

and then it’ll be the FULL SET!! 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sour?

It’s my favorite Xmas song, I see it as a lament for a more innocent time (childhood) when Xmas was still a magical time, before the inevitable stripping away of the romance.
    It ends on both a hopeful note and a warning, that you only get out of Xmas what you put into it, it’s not about you but the people around you etc.
    That’s my interpretation anyway, and I’m quite saddened by his death.

CountZero

slowoldman – Member
    Oh blimey! I see the Beeb have him as “King Crimson”s Greg Lake”.

Well, he was on King Crimson’s first, and best known album, as bass player and singer.

I like that “I Believe in Father Christmas” is such a subversive song and it always amuses me that so many people say they like it without obviously having listened to the lyrics.

Precisely the reason I love it, it’s one of my three favourite Christmas songs, the others being ‘Fairytale…’ And ‘Stop The Cavalry’.
    It certainly looks like 2016 isn’t giving up gracefully, with only bare weeks to go, who else are we going to lose?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another one gone. RIP.

darrell
    Free Member

We are all getting old, especially on this forum

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pictures at an Exhibition was my favourite especially considering it was recorded live at Newcastle City Hall & the opening bars were on It’s organ which was made by Harrison & Harrison from my home city of Durham!

RIP Greg.

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I saw ELP a few times in the early 70s. The wardrobes I was making today got a few drips on them when
    Radmac played Lucky Man.

sweepy
    Free Member

‘Eyes full of tinsel and fire’

If that was the only song he’d ever done it would be enough.

BFITH
    Free Member

It’s my favorite Xmas song, I see it as a lament for a more innocent time (childhood) when Xmas was still a magical time, before the inevitable stripping away of the romance.
    It ends on both a hopeful note and a warning, that you only get out of Xmas what you put into it, it’s not about you but the people around you etc.

^I concur….sad loss. 🙁

Might as well have the tune…..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘They said there'll be snow at Christmas. They said there'll be peace on earth.’ is closed to new replies.