• This topic has 51 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • These stove top fan thingies…
  • Harry_the_Spider

… do they work?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes

Stoner
    Free Member

Bin dun lots in here.

Def yes

househusband

Yup.

Unsettled the cats though.

Harry_the_Spider

Unsettled the cats though.

Over what sort of radius? There’s one that shits in my garden.

househusband

Over what sort of radius?

😆

LOL – Limited I’m afraid; one cat refused to return to the sheepskin rug in front of the stove.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m not convinced it makes a massive difference – but if you get the Stirling Engine one, it’s a beautiful thing to watch swishing away by itself using science and stuff 🙂

jp-t853

Got this cheap one thinking we could sell it if no good. Really happy and it makes a difference

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310637124702?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=610181838599&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

footflaps

We were low in headroom, so bought this work of art for £185. Does make a difference to how fast the room heats up:

Home

trail_rat
    Free Member

Really ? Well now we know they sold 1

Alphabet

We have one, I forget which, about £45 if I remember correctly. I think it helps but not as much as some people say theirs does. We probably need to run our stove hotter to get more benefit from it.

Yak

Yes – makes a huge difference. But our stove is recessed into a deep-ish fireplace. The warm air movement due to the fan makes the whole room warm, not just the bit in front of the stove and the ceiling.

But when we had a free-standing stove in a previous house, that did a perfectly good job of heating the room without a fan.

footflaps

Well now we know they sold 1

2; we were so impressed I ordered a second one.

vorlich
    Free Member

Just had our stove fitted today. 🙂

I’m intending on building one of those Zalman fans myself, looks pretty straightforward. Cost around £40-50 I reckon.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

No.

Wally

maybe

Wally

Maybe. (I like mine)

dashed
    Free Member

Yes, and rest of house warms up too if leave the living room door open now.

headfirst
    Free Member

Yes then very quickly for me no. It worked once then never again, the fan no longer turned. I believe it’s because it got too hot! On investigation the instructions did say not to go above a certain temperature, so watch out for this.

Drac

Ta for the reminder one ordered.

An Ebay special.

diz

Is there any to avoid or any that are recommended?

Stoner
    Free Member

This is my one. It works excellently.

An eBay special, bought last December for £50 delivered.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eco-Friendly-Heat-Powered-Stove-Fan-Warm-Air-Silent-Woodburning-NICKEL-BLACK-/350748358693?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Theyve dropped the price now to £45. Im just about to order a second one now I have a second stove fitted.

It says dont use over 345°C which is v v hot. I use a flue thermometer to make sure I burn between 200-250°C which is plenty ferociously hot enough. It would take some effort to get up to 345°C.

As you see, it comes with a bona fide “Chinese Export” sticker for complete peace of mind 😉

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BrUVRa-u3iw/VFCg1DXorrI/AAAAAAAAK3c/4wF5zI6cAxk/s400/IMG_20141029_080638.jpg[/img]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Headfirst , you must have bought a gas one (designed for lower temps) or a duff one.

My genuine calframo ecofan which is now 3 years old sits on top of my 7.5kw alberg and
    heats my whole house a peach.

When our eco fan was broke by a curious child dropping it we really missed it as the room , never mind the house took for ever to warm up.

Im tempted to try a valiant one as it looks just like my calframo and run them in tandem as the big stove gives out big heat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As stoner poined out the degrees c of 345 thats 600 f and on the flue thermometor thats almost 3/4s of the way into tooo hot bracket . Stove will be on the verge of melting 😉

Drac

Think that’s the one I’ve ordered Stoner. Worth a go as people claim they work on here everytime it’s asked. I seem to get a lot of heat trapped inside the alcove so if it pushes some of that out then that’ll be a bonus

sandwicheater

Been tempted by one for a while. Only one spot on our stove gets hot enough (right hand side is about 90-120c, left hand side 120-180c) according to some fancy laser doodad. Glad they’ve come down from the £80 bracket when I was looking last year.

That’s my Christmas pressie sorted.

EDIT: @ vorlich, the painting above your mantel is pants and sort your speaker cable out.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac – they work by initiating a more lateral circulation of air. Its not so much a “blower” as a mover. The graphic on the camaro (sp?) site is a good illustration.

You get a more even distribution of the heat. So rather than have a steep temp gradient across the room to the stove, say 17° rising to 23° at the stove you get a more dispersed 19-21° kind of gradient.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Are there any low profile ones? We don’t have much of a gap between the top of the stove and the fireplace

Stoner
    Free Member

james – see flaps post above ^

or that one below v 😉

footflaps

Are there any low profile ones? We don’t have much of a gap between the top of the stove and the fireplace

The only one I found, I posted above (much to Trail Rat’s shock). We have only 16cm headroom, so there wasn’t much choice.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have one that looks just like Stoners. It makes a worthwhile difference and if it broke I’d get another. It doesn’t blow hot air at you, I barely realise it is working, but without it the room doesn’t feel warm as quickly.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The only one I found, I posted above (much to Trail Rat’s shock). We have only 16cm headroom, so there wasn’t much choice.

Thanks to my choice of a stove with a wood box underneath I also had this problem, not quite enough room. I used a sheet of metal to attach the fan to so it could overhang the stove by a couple of centimeters, enough that it stands in front of the chimney breast in my case. Footflaps fan looks nice but I am only poor 🙁

Yak

I had a bit more room, but not enough for an ecofan style fan, so got a sirocco fan:

had to remove the metal carry loop to get a fit, but it works a treat.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the house I’m buying already has a stove installed, so I think one of those ebay jobs will be an essential house-warming present (see what i did there?)

Harry_the_Spider

Just ordered an ebay £45 job.

househusband

the house I’m buying already has a stove installed, so I think one of those ebay jobs will be an essential house-warming present (see what i did there?)

Yup – that’s a fantastic idea!

(See what I did there?)

vorlich
    Free Member

EDIT: @ vorlich, the painting above your mantel is pants and sort your speaker cable out.

Better? 🙂 cables will be done, I can’t stand them messy…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Been tempted by one for a while. Only one spot on our stove gets hot enough (right hand side is about 90-120c, left hand side 120-180c) according to some fancy laser doodad

I find that hard to believe…. If your stoves only that your flue gas temp must be near freezing ( ok an exageration but stil)

How bigs the stove and how bigs the room

Drac

Cheers Stoner kind of how I thought it would work.

Drac

Bollocks!

The it’s just a few mm to big for my stove the blades won’t spin without heating the stone above the burner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘These stove top fan thingies…’ is closed to new replies.