Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The World's End
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

New Wright/Pegg/Frost!

I have tickets booked for tonight, best [standard] seats in the house – who’s going to go see, and has anyone seen a preview?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

frack – forum error – sorry I don’t start many threads and am a creature of habit. Can this be moved please

kimbers

there are a few spoilers here

but the trailer at the end gives away more

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6SupkSg6Rg[/video]

I really want to see it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

Simon’s gone all hipster.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^Not watching that until after tonight

No – really? Oh maaan….

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have also tickets booked for tonight, in chi gate. Nando first & beer after, happy days!!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Happy Daiz you mean 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bloody awesome film.

The pace is a little uneven, perhaps, and perhaps it could have been 10 minutes shorter without really cutting anything, but the amount of work in it is amazing, astonishing, even.

The setup is pretty funny – with Pegg playing an obnoxious ass with more flaws than a cracked pint glass. His mates have all moved on and grown up, but he surely hasn’t. But, they start to go along with him anyway to see the train wreck in action. Oh, and because he’s twisted their arms, he’s not very nice really.

The pub crawl, well it’s quite the challenge isn’t it? 12 Pubs, 12 [or maybe more] pints and that’s without any shots, or funny business. They’ve got a lot to talk through, and the more you drink the more fluid the boundaries of social acceptability become – we are the self-repressed Brits, after all.

The love is there, as it always should be – Simon4Nik4eva, but the roles are a little adjusted from what we saw before – Nik’s straight man lines delivered with damn good skillz [though I swear I saw him smiling at the wrong moment al-la Spaced], yet the Tubby one still has a given talent for comedy which elude 99% of the comedy acting troupe worldwide. There is also some romance of a sort [oh I’ll never look at the disabled toilets the same] and a hundred well-observed lines on the perils of growing up, and the nostalgia of looking back from a very different view point.

Simon/Gary – oh frack he’s painful to watch. Nifty with his fists though. In fact the choreography is great, and the fighting gripping. I really noticed some difference in “flavour” in the fight scenes to Hollywood fare, I can’t put my finger on it maybe a different shot composition somehow? Edgar’s tough I think as it’s evident in Scott Pilgrim too. Oh, and we finally get to see Nick Frost really, really kicking ass – Hooray!

The other characters are all brilliantly acted, with conviction and good timing – these films never suffer from the perils of being un-funny when they think they are funny [lookin’ at you Burn After Reading]. I don’t know about you lot but I really think there was a strong resemblance between Jess Hynes and the main female character – Sam. It was a bit of a surprise, and I really wish she’d been in it…. 🙁

The end sequences had the whole audience snorting and laughing like buffoons, contains some killer lines and will probably NOT be what you’re expecting.

There are, of course, cameos [Michael Smiley 🙂 🙂 ], nods-to the other Cornetto films and, puzzlingly – no red on anyone AFAIK!

Highly recommended, and a bloody big relief to be able to say it. To have waited 9 years for a film, and then be able to say “Awesome” is a rare treat.

Go see it.

GfS

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Turns out Back To Earth is pretty good too 🙂

LardLover
    Free Member

Cracking soundtrack.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The World's End’ is closed to new replies.