Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • the trans cambrian way
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

Has anyone done this ride from knighton to mach. I’m going to do it first week in may and wildcamp it, I’m thinkin about dragging my bob trailer around is it doable with a trailer or would it be to hard terrain. Oh and is it worth the hard work…..thanks

gingerman69

rode it last year and very good ride, good mix of terrain and trails – we B&B’ed which worked great. BOB should be ok – someone else was using one when we did it – but a lot harder work than a day pack!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Wicked I can’t wait, how long did u in

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Whoops meant to say how long did it take you as I was planning maybe three nights out

large418
    Free Member

It’s a great wilderness ride – I rode it last year, but did it in 1 day, then camped at Mach and rode back on the road the next day. Excellent day out – you will go for miles without seeing anyone. Loads of spots for wild camping, and plenty of water etc etc. You will enjoy it!

Bob trailer – it is doable with one, there will be some pushing though. Nothing too technical that a trailer would struggle with – I took a rucksack, but went super lightweight.

simondbarnes

Twinklydave and mrterrahawk did it last year

Trans-Cambrian Way (take 2…)

Took just under 10 hours.

chipps

Yes!
    It was the subject of an extensive feature in a certain glossy mountain bike magazine. http://www.singletrackworld.com/magarchive/issue-51/

Sheesh! I don’t know why we bother…
    I bet you don’t buy the magazine because there’s nothing in it of interest to you, eh? 🙂

Er, anyway, it was a great trip. We did it in three days, staying at a bunkhouse one night and a B&B with campsite the next. You could wildcamp it, but if it pours with rain (as it did with us in May) then it’s a little more fun if you can at least dry your clothes.

I’d recommend taking a GPS, as it’s really badly marked and there are a few turnings you’ll definitely miss if you you’re not paying attention. The IMBA UK site has a .gpx download on it.

The first two days are easily doable on a ‘cross bike or similar, but there are a couple of descents on the last day where some bigger tyres might make things a little more fun.

grtdkad

Just did this Friday to Sunday, stopping in pubs on a night time – thankfully as the rain was biblical! Just re-read issue 51, Chipps’ advice re using the tarmac stretch that runs parallel to the trail up to the dam on Day-2 is worth bearing in mind. It took us over an hour to cover about a mile ! Knee deep in the peat in places….memorable though.

grtdkad

Large418, you’re mental mate!

boblo
    Free Member

Getting back to Knighton is the trick as the last train leaves quite early. I did it in December over a 3 day bogfest. I camped at Rhayader and Tyllwd just outside Cwmystwyth. I have the GPX files if you want them.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Did over 7 days with the trailer was awesome 3 days to do TCW wildcamped it then headed south to Nant did the trails there and then to devils bridge where theres a great bothy stop, then onto aber and borth. Fantastic weather made this an unforgetable trip. recommend it to anyone the trails are great views spot on…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘the trans cambrian way’ is closed to new replies.