Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The Times – 10 Best Forests For Cycling……erm.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Just reading the forests supplement that came with todays Times….

…..and noticed that number 5 in the top 10 forests/woods to cycle in was local to me. (Incidentally the Crown Inn is 8 miles away)

Bit surprisingly really…..anyways, this is the 5th best forest to cycle in the UK. Come along and bring a pack lunch, or even stay the night at the local hotel, as there is easy a days worth of riding on the .7 mile of track 8)

Oh and apologies for the shonky phone cam pictures. The Times is behind a paywall so cannot link to the online content.

MrSmith
    Free Member

lazy journalism.
    never believe anything you read in the press.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

half of it was probably ripped from mbr

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Looks amazing! I’m cancelling all my other holidays. i guess i’ll need some dual ply tyres and body armour?? will 150mm travel be ok or is it more suited to 160mm of travel? maybe i’ll email The Times. They could do a special feature.

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I guess that’s a copy of the “English and Welsh” Times then! North of the border is often forgotten in things like this. The forests in Scotland must be too far from civilisation for your southern cycling punter!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The usual badly researched journalism. Forget “don’t believe what you read in the paper”. Don’t believe anything you read in the paper!

Why did you buy a satan Murdoch paper anyway?

Jamie
    Free Member

Why did you buy a satan Murdoch paper anyway?

The Times was my mums.

As a foppish lefty liberal I only read the Guardian.

Could have been worse, I also picked up a copy of The Mail for me nan…..

fbk
    Free Member

More quality reporting 😕

meandyuk

Dalby has to be on there surely???

crazy-legs

To be fair to them they have to cater for everyone from families with kids who think that mountain biking is the sort of CentreParks experience – not really sure that a small minority of bikers on this forum is really The Times’ intended demographic.

If it gets people out and about on bikes then it’s a good thing, especially if they then go on to sign the petition against selling off the woodlands.

cinnamon_girl

How do they define best?

I shall read it later. Yes I buy The Times every Saturday and Sunday and am not apologising!

They frequently have interesting outdoorsy articles in Saturday’s edition, particularly details of walks.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair to them they have to cater for everyone from families with kids who think that mountain biking is the sort of CentreParks experience – not really sure that a small minority of bikers on this forum is really The Times’ intended demographic.

Oh I take this on board fully. The fact is they have linked to an area that people may well drive to or go and have a look if they are passing by that is 5 mins of path, no amenities, hidden access, behind a school and if you take a wrong turn you end up in some ‘interesting’ housing estates.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cannock chase at number one. 8)

mtbmatt
    Free Member

What is it they say about “Crychan Wood” (not a wood at all, it is a forest)?

That is on my doorstep, but they don’t make a point of advertising it to cyclists. Brechfa, Afan, Cwm Rhaeadr all better and very close.

Surprised to see Gwydyr there as well and no Coed yr Brenin. Strange.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Glad to see the New Forest in there!! Some very uninteresting gravel tracks is all you are legally allowed to ride…. 🙄

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The New Forest’s at number 9 and the recommended eatery is the Montague Arms in Beaulieu. They have their stndards there. Last time we went in there we saw three lads in their early twenties asked to leave for asking (politely) why such a popular drink as cider wasn’t sold there. We haven’t been back since.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh…I have been ninja edited it seems.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Glad to see the New Forest in there!! Some very uninteresting gravel tracks is all you are legally allowed to ride….

The cheeky stuff’s far better though and there are several pubs that do look after us very well.

40mpg

The new forest does come 2nd in the list for ‘riding’ on the right of that report though. Do you think they have found all the dogging car parks? 😯

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines @ 4 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Sherwood Pines @ 4

….to link back to what Crazy Legs said, Sherwood Pines is probably great for families, which is more than likely the articles intended audience.

crazy-legs

I’m surprised that somewhere like Swinley isn’t mentioned. Go-Ape for the kids, cafe, the Discovery Centre, everything from easy fireroad for the families right up to miles and miles of singletrack, jump spots etc – something for everyone.

I can see the point of it but it’s not really a very well thought out list… 🙄 At least they’re trying though, give them credit for that.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I should imagine that the journalistic budget for that piece was closer to “get it done this afternoon, you can use the internet and phone as much as you like” rather than “go buy yourself a nice bike, rent a van for as long as you need and make sure you’ve tried several menu options or rooms in all the establishments you recommend”.

What’s the chances that the pubs and hotels mentioned are owned by friends of the journalist and this article was just a way of getting them some publicity ?

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s the chances that the pubs and hotels mentioned are owned by friends of the journalist and this article was just a way of getting them some publicity ?

How can one with such a fine taste in denim cut-offs be so cynical?

….but yeah the first thing I thought was free meals and drinks have been had.

paul4stones

Crazylegs – it’s ‘centerparcs’ btw. Just in case you thought it was anything remotely ‘British’ 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The Times – 10 Best Forests For Cycling……erm.’ is closed to new replies.