Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes that is so dark. awful to see

jambalaya
    Free Member

when I saw THM wearing just a bandan

Collar turned up as well I hope 😉 ?

Rachell is having fun. I am a bit surprised she risks skiing (or is allowed to under contract ?)

https://www.facebook.com/226293040769869/videos/1274092762656553/

On a serious note thoughts with those affected by the Italian Avalanche. Friends of friends where killed by the avalanche which came into part of the town around Chamonix many years ago. Died inside their apartment. 😐

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 Jamba.
    I drove through the debris field that year on my way up to Le Tour, a scene of destruction the likes of which I have never seen.
    My thoughts are with those affected and the rescuers involved in trying to help.

GrahamS

My thoughts are with those affected and the rescuers involved in trying to help.

I was a little bemused by the footage taken from the news helicopter of rescuers on the ground struggling to reach the rescue area. 😕

igm

News says they found 6 more alive. No comment on fatalities.

igm

Fatalities still 4.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d just like to say that…….I’m going skiing in the morning! 6.10am flight, should be Courchevel by 11.30 and on the slopes by 12.45. 😀 😀 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Have a good one rockape!

piemonster

I’d also like to say my flight departs at 7:45

I won’t be posting photos as you proved to be ungrateful **** last year once I’d got past photo No. 275 of blue skies and excellent piste condition.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No pictures = instant banhammer.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

have a good one piemonster!

anyone else?

GrahamS

Couple of weeks yet. Just sent the missus to Snow+Rock for some Grangers: proofing gear and waxing boards this weekend I think.

oliverracing

Still a few weeks till I’m in switzerland for me, can’t wait and it’s not helped by the fact that my brother keeps sending me photos as he’s working out in the Dolomites at the moment. 😥

Still got a bit of skiing done on wednesday :D… shame it was in Milton Keynes 🙁

Bunnyhop

What’s happened to that woman’s head?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Milton Keynes, Bunny.

Standard issue bag on the head. Some are two baggers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have a good one Rockape. I think if you see a mogul in Courcheval they refund your ski pass 🙂

CFH 🙂

Some good news from Italy, 10 survivors including children. I fear there will be some terrible stories of survivors vs perished. Those alive seem to have been very lucky to be in an air pocket and not crushed as the building collpased.

Bunnyhop

Snigger at flashy.

Yes great news about the Avalanche survivors, however as time goes on…… Fingers are crossed that the rescuers can get the others out alive and in one piece.

hammerite
    Free Member

That’s my usual weekly view Oliveracing!

smokey_jo

Courchevel for me too this weekend

GrahamS

Minor PSA: Grangers Xtreme Repel is only £5 at Snow+Rock, everywhere else seems to want £8 or 9 for the same size.

Also has anyone got any thoughts on how to repair a rip in breathable waterproof trousers?

It’s a very clean slice about 5cms long, just below the knee (caused by the edge of an out of control snowboard) it goes right through all the liners (to match the scar on my leg) so I can get access to the back of it.

I’m thinking something like tent repair tape on the back then sew it from the front, but the stitches would let in water. Any better ideas?

(They are brand new breeks so really don’t want to chuck them)

shifter
    Free Member

Put a zip in, then it’s a vent.

Stoner
    Free Member

from 15s in

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNmsq_FBiU[/video]

Digby

I’m thinking something like tent repair tape on the back then sew it from the front, but the stitches would let in water. Any better ideas?

Snow & Rock and others sell a ‘GoreTex Repair kit’ with 2 patches – you might need both of them to cover a 5cm tear.

GoreTex Repair Kit

Some of the big brand manufacturers offer a repair service – is this worth investigating?

When I was in Greenland last year the crotch ripped on my snowboard trousers.

I sewed it back up and then repaired it with a mixture of fabric sealant (Seamgrip Glue)and Thermarest Repair kit patches – one of these on the outside and one on the inside(to reinforce it):

Thermarest Repair Kit

It worked a treat! 😉

But for that ‘dirt-bag-authentic-seasonaire-thrift-store’ look it’s got to be a strip of duct-tape! 😉

GrahamS

Yeah it’s duct-taped at the moment. 😀
    I always carry a roll with me when we go away – comes in handy remarkably often.

Thanks all, some good ideas there. Think I’ll try sewing from the front then patching from behind.

Digby

These guys do repairs:

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/

GrahamS

Cheers Digby.

piemonster

Settling into a really quite pleasant…. well I guess youd call it a micro chalet in Serre Che. Glass of something called Pelforth in hand and a wood fire lit.

igm

Mmmm Pelforth. Brown or blonde?

piemonster

Brown, seems a nice beer but not one to guzzle by the gallon

wallop

Brun for me too. Very warming when partaking in alfresco apres!

singletrackmind

Moi aussi
    Pelorth Brune is the best French beer thats readily available. Sort of a better Newcastle Brown Ale and at 6.5% one to savour rather than guzzle.
    Enjoy Serre Che , its OK and if you can get into Briancon and have a walk around the old fortress ( take a rucksack and some hiking boots ) its 20min ish from the Prorel lift base station

igm

Seems we are in agreement.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

McNetts Tenacious Tape. Available from Cotswold and other similar shops

hammerite
    Free Member

A week in Schladders booked for half term. I was worried that Jnr’s exams this year might mean only a week skiing this season, thankfully not.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

2018 is here

2017-2018 Snowboard Product Preview From Avant Premiere

Might have to pre-order the michi throwback skeleton key…

TheDTs
    Free Member

Didn’t think i heard that right but yes I did.
    Dave Ryding in 1st after 1st run..
    Storming!
    Go Dave!.

http://www.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/events-and-places/results/

TheDTs
    Free Member

Difficult to get the strategy, effort and mind right for the second run, flat out for the win or stay safe for a top three?

Bunnyhop

Come on Dave 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

DTs I think it’s flat out when you are at the top end. Hirscher pulled out a storming 2nd run.

TheDTs
    Free Member

hammerite, Yes, thats the idea but difficult to do mentally.

Seen the result, not the race, no spoilers, please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.