Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,486 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Prompted in part by this;

Tom B – Member
    Err are you starting it or what flashy? Don’t make me come down to that London and wee in your Salomons

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Let’s do it all again, shall we? Who’s going where and when? What new toys are you buying? What fresh new threads will you be rocking? Etc!

Also, a carry over from last season, an interesting opener;

taka – Member
    has anyone had any experience of whitedot preacher ski’s? are they any good on piste? as i do a mix of both on/off piste looking at getting a set for this next season

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

I’ve not tried Whitedot, I’m afraid. They are awfully nice looking skis, though, and seem to get good press. I’m still a fan of Movement or White Doctor though. (And yes, I know the stick that Bob and the team get over on SH from Whitedot lovers…!)

We’re hoping to get back to Serre Che with Little Miss CFH in mid to late January. Not sure she’s old enough to shred teh gnat yet, so we’re either going with friends who have a similar age sprog to share the childcare, or else calling in a few favours from some friends out there to see what we can do. Anyone got any good tips on skiing with a one year old then?

Might need a new jacket. Have been wearing out my lovely Eider Tahoe by using it as a general winter jacket. That was rather why I got one though (Thanks to the nice people at Eider!)
    It’s one of these.

Stealthy, well vented and good pockets. Above all, though, really plain. It’s all about stealth jackets and LOUD trousers if you ask me! So, anyone got any suggestions on nice, light, breathable, black or dark grey jackets that look suitably stealthy to wear off the slopes?

igm

1. Ski Famille, Flashy, you’ve been told once already.

2. Some Now IPO bindings – well I’d been interested in them and with 40%,off the 2013s…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They don’t go to Serre Che. 🙁 Look ace, though!

Have friends out there, and love skiing there, so don’t really want to ‘change resorts’ just because of Little Miss CFH. Am selfish like that!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well hopefully I’ll be doing my first non indoor boarding at some point….maybe Scotland for Xmas, Serre Che or Tignes through ucpa in Feb, maybe Jansa over Easter.

New kit….I need a helmet and goggles and a decent jacket to hit the slopes in. Tried some Burton Mission bindings at the weekend, much preferred them to my K2 indies…hmm…!

Doing my first freestyle session this Friday 😯

mikezer0
    Free Member

Never ever call snowboarding ‘boarding’. 😉
    http://whitelines.mpora.com/features/debate/dont_call_it_boarding.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

Snow & Rock have a massive sale on Ski wear at the mo..

shifter
    Free Member

I’m booked for Solden mid January with the boys plus need another one, maybe new-year, with the girls. Just bought a new board and really going to try to not spend any more “this season”, though I’ve been thinking about a ‘sponder…

cobrakai

You have good taste in jackets CFH. Love how light it is.

Snow and rock at port solent has a sale on at the moment but not a massive amount in it I thought. Did get a half decent set of poles though with 40% off.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s all about stealth jackets and LOUD trousers if you ask me!

This is the look I was ‘rocking’ last season. Black jacket and two pairs of trousers one Kelly green one bright blue.

We should be going back to Morzine in Feb for the third year in a row. I just have to not hire horrible Salomon boots and to not bugger up my ankle again.

wallop

Hmmmmmm….. I want more lessons with Darren Turner in Serre Che next year but I love Austria. Decisions, decisions!

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

I have a pair of 188 Whitedot Directors (they’re actually prototypes…) When I first skied them (on piste, on the way to the good stuff) I thought they were a massive mistake. They’re terrible on piste, as in really bad. Then I tried them in deep snow and never looked back. I just have to make I don’t get them out if I’m only skiing with the family… Also, the guys at Whitedot are very friendly and know their stuff. The new carbon skis looks great!

andytherocketeer

Yay! Summer solstice has been and gone. Winter’s on its way 🙂 \o/

New gear for this year will be a new jacket I think. And some more base layers probably. Quite tempted to do an N+1 (well N+2 I guess?) on skis.

Played about on Whitedot One’s and Movement Jam last yr. Like the latter, but really wanted to play some more on them. Too similar to my Rictors though.

Also had a play on a pair of Stöckli FIS Slalom skis for a day. Something along those lines is now very much on my “I really need a pair of them” list. Pricey, but I might just say sod it and order a pair. Ace on piste, and didn’t kill me.

Where to go…? Dolomites again probably. Austria for some weekends again (drive down after work and back on Sunday pm). Then either Meribel, or Tignes, or Folgarida for a potential week of skills enhancement. Oh and maybe somewhere for Christmas.

Got withdrawal symptoms now.

Kahurangi

I’ve just had my first weekend skiing of the season 8)

Mt Hutt on Saturday, Broken River on Sunday.

Where to go next weekend??

Aaaaahhhhhh.

the_lecht_rocks

Cairngorm for the season, Lecht and Glenshee, probably with a couple of trips to the Alps, Austrian in variety methinks 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We should be going back to Morzine in Feb for the third year in a row. I just have to not hire horrible Salomon boots and to not bugger up my ankle again.

3rd year in a row? Time to be buying your own boots, I’d say! Get thee to a decent shop and buy some!

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree with Flashy, worth buying boots for next season.

There’ll be no new kit purchases and I’m faced with the possibility of no ski trip this year too 🙁

Got fed up with work so from the end of the month I’ll be jobless. However, I’m hoping that I’ll be a student for just one year and will start to have a lot more annual leave than I’ve ever had!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Serre Chev……went there in 1986, never found anywhere better since!

I just booked a cheeky 4.5 days skiing between christmas and new year taking my 13 yr old daughter. We fly BA to munich £300, pick up a car £120 drive 1hr to Neiderau, stay 4 nights in a Hotel £350 and have the whole area to choose from….Soll, Westendorf, Kitsbuhel. Ski passes about £120 for adults. Food and drink is cheaper than at home!

Just a little warm up before my Boys trip end of Feb to the same area.

hammerite
    Free Member

Rockape – Hotel Staffler and a Salzburger Superski pass?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love to buy some boots but unfortunately because of my knackered ankle (I broke it on my first ever day of skiing). I don’t know if or when it will be fixed properly so I don’t want to commit to boots until it is better. At the moment skiing hurts quite a lot and it is difficult to turn right because of the force I have to use on my left ankle. This year should be better as long as I don’t have a silly crash again.

Either way I think I am going to get a new helmet and possibly goggles for this season.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

We’ve booked flights and accomodation for Feb half term.
    Same as last year.
    Fly LH Manchester-Munich.
    Pick up a hire car and over the Brenner to Kronplatz.
    Brilliant little family run Gasthof outside of Bruneck that we’ve used about half a dozen times over the years. http://www.neunhaeusern.com/

My 14yo daughter will need new skis this year too. She’s got her heart set on Volkl Race Tigers but she’s probably a bit light to get the best out of them. Any suggestions for other 80%+ piste ski for a light but very fast & capable intermediate? (not looking for a full-on GS ski)

Rockape63
    Free Member

Rockape – Hotel Staffler and a Salzburger Superski pass?

Correct Hammerite! well almost…I’ll be there in Feb/march but couldn’t get in in December so found a place just up the road that will do the job.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Regarding boots, I nearly bought some last year as I went twice. However I didn’t, but hired in Norway and Austria and both were great!

Meanwhile my pal who spent a LOT of money on his, had all the inserts etc struggled with them.

so I’m sticking to hiring again this year.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any suggestions for other 80%+ piste ski for a light but very fast & capable intermediate? (not looking for a full-on GS ski)

I tried some Nordica Spitfires a while back and was very, very, very impressed. Well worth a look. (Not sure what their 2014 range looks like yet, though)

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ecky….is it really worth buying ski’s for a 14 yr old? I’m finding the quality of hire ski’s in the better shops is very good. What are the maths?

nedrapier

Not got any buying plans. I bought my first solid board for 13 years at the end of last season, a Dupraz D1 5’5. Beatiful thing, and more fun than any snowboard I’ve ridden for a long time.

I might get a new set of bindings, though. Old Salomon Relays are getting a bit tired.

No plans so far other than to go back to the Lyngen Alps in northern Norway, hopefully for two weeks.

Two days this year just whetted the appetite!

hammerite
    Free Member

Thought it might be. I was looking at the Staffler last week as a budget possibility just in case we can manage to get away next season.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It is a bit cheap and cheerful (staffler) and you all have to sit down to eat at 6.30pm which is a bit early. But great skiing all around.

boblo
    Free Member

One of my chums has just bought an apartment in Bourg St Maurice so we’ll be going there for some touring in Jan. I did a gearfreaks overdose at the end of last season and bought a complete touring set up. No more piste for me….

Edukator
    Free Member

#adds to favourites#

I hope to get over to the Alps this year, there was so much snow last year that a) the local stuff was great b) the roads were awful and I didn’t fancy being stuck for days.

No more piste for me

Nothing like a lift pass and a set of giant skis for getting your ski legs back at the start of each season.

hammerite
    Free Member

We get by quite nicely on cheap and cheerful Rockape, so long as there’s a bed and the food is edible we’re not too fussy! The skiing is much more important.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ecky….is it really worth buying ski’s for a 14 yr old? …
    … What are the maths?

In purely financial terms, probably not.

Being the first on the slopes in the morning – priceless. 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ah well fair enough….I’m arriving midday so a quick detour via the hire shop will be okay. Plus none of the hassle with dragging them out there…….

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve decided not to go this year

I’ve done 1-3 trips a year since 2000 and I’m getting jaded with all the powder in Canada

1st world problems and all that

Just need a fresh challenge

igm

Time to go skiing in Scotland then plumber (in an average season that is)

Tom-B
    Free Member

Did my first freestyle session tonight…..not as easy as it looks is it 😯 plenty of spills but my ego bore the brunt of them 🙂

Coaching is definitely required!

cobrakai

Going up to Hemel for a midday play on monday if anyone’s around? Need to cool down! New forest nearly ended me today!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ahhh, the Fridge! Love a bit of a play there! Used to session it silly when testing skis. OK, so not exactly shredding the gnat, but great fun all the same.

cobrakai

Used to work in the Glasgow one so I don’t mind them at all. They’ve got a deal of £60 for the whole month. Mon to thurs only though I think.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ll be at the Cfe for a few hours tomorrow night attempting some more freestyle!

Tom-B
    Free Member

😳 I managed 20 mins before Mrs B had to drive me home! Initially thought that I’d broken my wrist-hopefully just a sprain though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,486 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season’ is closed to new replies.