• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, why not, eh? It was a good one last year, so let’s do it all again, shall we?

So, who’s going where and when? What new toys are you buying? What fresh new threads will you be rocking? 😉

andytherocketeer

Dec – the Alps (somewhere – Tignes? Meribel? tbd)
    Jan – Austria (cheeky weekend – St.Anton or Zillertal probably)
    Feb – Dolomites (again)

Trying to suss out how to fit a few days in Slovakia in there somewhere.

Only new kit this season is a replacement pair of goggles.

GrahamS

Good God man, it’s only August! 😀

Ah well.. umm.. planning a trip to Braehead Sno!Zone Snow Factor next weekend.

And.. umm.. will be going to the Big Bang Snowboard Show there at the start of October.

Trips: Looking like somewhere in Italy for a family week, and Slovakia for a boys week.

Trying to suss out how to fit a few days in Slovakia in there somewhere.

Speak to Dan and Clare at http://www.chaletslovakia.com/ – tell them I sent you 😀

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m going to saalbach on the 16th of March.

Since its also 2013, I’ve booked two weeks over Christmas 2013 too, as the place gets booked up pretty well a year in advance

I’ll also be buying my first pair of shoes and skis + poles so I can take the weekend snow train before march

Stuey01
    Free Member

Nothing booked yet 🙁 Need to get on the case.

Probably no new gear. The only thing I might consider is some ski boots, as I am finding myself enjoying splitting my time between board and skis.
    No new snowboard kit though, oh no, I definitely don’t need anything new, not even bindings. Oh no siree. Or a jacket, definitely don’t need a new one of those.

ianpinder
    Free Member

It’s not about need

sandwicheater

Darn it! Possible baby arrival in the middle of ski season so no fun for me. Les Duex Alps last year and first spin on some twin tips, man they are fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good God man, it’s only August!

No time like the present! Especially to resurrect what was, in my humble opinion, one of the finest STW threads of recent times!

🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Hoping to get a support contact in Munich covering Autumn and Winter so I can get some weekend snowboarding done 🙂

Then I want a trip to Austria, or maybe group chalet trip to France, sometime next year.

GrahamS

No time like the present!

Absolutely, but I’m still waiting for Summer to show up.

Stuey01
    Free Member

It’s not about need

Tell that to my wife… Apparently I don’t “need” 5 bikes either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hoping to get a support contact in Munich covering Autumn and Winter so I can get some weekend snowboarding done

I’m still angling for a Japan trip to get a cheeky weekend in! 🙂

nbt

Booked for Val Despair, last week of January in a rather flash looking place. Hoping to book a day or two with a guide and get some off-piste action if conditions permit.

Also hoping to get another trip in but will depend on finances more than anything, the constant media barrage of recession-related doom and despair means that Mrs NBT’s business is dead as a doornail: too many people are believing the hype, not spending money and thus making things worse.

freeridenick
    Free Member
    andytherocketeer

Speak to Dan and Clare at http://www.chaletslovakia.com/ – tell them I sent you

already bookmarked. think I had that one on the list for MTBing too (or might have been the other place nearby).

nbt

I’m still angling for a Japan trip

It’s on my list too. Maybe not this year though 🙁

rkk01
    Free Member

Good thread – last year’s was great…!

More than a little depressed about skiing this year 😥

Kids and mrsrkk01 do not share the same school hols 😐

Mortgage Co keeps putting up their standard variable rate, in their words, “because they can” 👿

So, skiing – on the highly desired list, but right at the top of the what can we cut back list

GrahamS

already bookmarked. think I had that one on the list for MTBing too

Yeah I gather Dan does a fair bit of cycling (MTB and road) during the summer too.

The other place, Propaganda, looked okay too – but seemed to be a younger hip crowd (which I’m not) and they’re not in the main town so can’t just walk to the pub.

jam-bo

not unless dartmoor gets a decent dump of snow.

nedrapier

[Url=http://www.iceaxe.tv/]something a little different? If anyone fancies pushing the boat out, lol[/url]

m1kea
    Free Member

Nothing booked yet but 98% likely to be back to North Conway in New Hampshire for the something like 8th time.

Would like to go back to Banff in BC but NH is much cheaper and more convenient.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

We’ll (hopefully!) have a stand at the ski show in either london or birmingham (hopefully both), ready to sell lots of awesome ski holidays.

am off to nepal for the trans nepal mtb race, which means i’ll probably only get chance for 1 ski trip this winter.

by the time winter rolls around, i reckon we’ll be gutted about relocating from the Alps to the UK!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Planned trips include scotland and cham.

new kit is taking shape in the form of union contact pro, Signal OG 157, some more westbeach longhorn troos, and I’m keeping current goggles, jacket and boots. Also keeping my current rod for scotland duties.

Happy days…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’ll (hopefully!) have a stand at the ski show in either london or birmingham (hopefully both),

I’m hoping to snag myself a freebie trade ticket. Might have to come and find you! 🙂 I did the show a couple of years ago, utterly exhausting, but great fun!

legend
    Free Member

Currently whatever the wedding budget will allow.
    Kit, however, is not a problem – Mrs Legend works for Nordica, sorted 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

– Mrs Legend works for Nordica, sorted

And of course, in honour of me starting this thread, she will now send me a pair of FireArrows. Thanks.

😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

no doubt i’ll post on here if we get a stand! 😉

Kaprun for new year with the family

Another family trip to Italy in Feb

Lofoton Islands in Norway in April

Possible kashmir trip in Feb as well.

Home range in scotland as much as possible.

New mamut transceiver bagged in a summer sale, got a new splitter last year so I’m pretty kitted out. Wouldn’t mind a Jones Mountain twin or NDK minimal if I can find a good deal though.

Can’t wait.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Hmmm. Not sure yet, sorta saving up for 6 months in the Alps 2013-14. But hoping for lotsa snow in the Peaks and maybe a couple of breaks to Scotland if the snow is good this year. Might do Chamonix in the new year.

cobrakai

Last minute booking for middle of Jan, prob France but after the nonsense they spouted I’m thinking of taking my money back to Austria! Mate going to japan for the season as a mountain guide so might crash on his floor for a couple of weeks.

As for kit, I’m happy as Larry (whoever he is) but the b2’s are looking a bit done in so might invest in some k2’s. Going to tryout some ntn bindings. Got an old 7tm set up with toured attatchment but can be a bit of a faff.

Got a cousin who is a contracts manager who is living Cham so may pay him a visit.

And NO, I will not buy a TNF sleavless puffa!!!! 👿

AlexSimon

Just looked at http://www.chaletslovakia.com

Particularly interested in how high the treeline is in the piste map.
    But flights might be a problem – from Manchester/liverpool there are no Saturday flights to Krakov of Bratislava.

Really fancy trees though.

Can anybody recommend another option?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Really fancy trees though.

Can anybody recommend another option?

Check out Serre Che. Much treelined fun to be had!

Beagleboy

Going back to Bansko in Feb for the 3rd time in 4yrs. Even better is the fact that because we booked the flights as soon as they became available, we’re going for around £100 cheaper than last time!

Flights: £200 return from Manchester (poop as it’s a long drive down)

2 bedroom apartment, 5 minute walk away from the Gondola: €240, so with the four of us going it works out at £50 each for the 6 days. Awesome, as the price hasn’t changed since the 1st time.

Transfers: £70 split between the four of us, and again the price hasn’t risen.

Lift Pass: Last time it was around £95 for the 6 day pass

Food and drink hardly costs anything. One night I had a superb two course meal with four beers for £6. Awesome!

The resort itself is geared up for beginners to intermmediates, it’s clean and as long as you remember it’s a budget destination I can’t see how you could complain. Especially as we had chest deep powder last time. It was fabulous.

B. 🙂

GrahamS

Particularly interested in how high the treeline is in the piste map.

Yep, plenty of tree runs there. Lots of slackcountry to be had.

But flights might be a problem – from Manchester/liverpool there are no Saturday flights to Krakov of Bratislava.

We flew from Liverpool on a Saturday last season. 1pm RyanAir flight got us into Bratislava in time for the 5:50pm train to Liptovsky.

Bear in mind it is still on a summer timetable right now, so flight times may be different during winter season.

I posted a review of Jasná on Snowboard Club UK if you are interested.

dafoxster
    Free Member

The wife and I moved to Villach, Austria in June, so we are excitedly looking forward to a season of weekends and cheeky mornings. Nearest slope is 10 minutes from us and also we’ll get a season ticket for Carinthia so we can head to the best snow.

When I got the job I got myself an Arbor Roundhouse RX. Really excited to ride it for the first time.

Arbor Roundhouse

Also we may look into getting some splitboards because Ski touring here is meant to be good. Any tips?

brakes
    Free Member

I wish I could contribute but I hung up my boots in March when I moved house – I literally skipped my board and kit in disgust as it hadn’t been used for over 3 years.

It’s hard enough to get time/ permission to go on biking trips nowadays…
    wwaaaaah, wwaaaaahh 😥

RustyMac

AlexSimon

There is another airport in Slovakia in Kosice. Liptovský Mikuláš is closer to Kosice than Bratislava. You may find flights from Manchaester to there instead.

AlexSimon

Rusty Mac – Member

AlexSimon

There is another airport in Slovakia in Kosice. Liptovský Mikuláš is closer to Kosice than Bratislava. You may find flights from Manchaester to there instead.
    Thanks Rusty – but nothing showing at the moment. Maybe things change later, as Graham mentions. I’ll keep an eye on it.

GrahamS

Just tried SkyScanner and it is showing direct flights from Liverpool to Bratislava in Feb.
    http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/uk/bts/cheapest-flights-from-united-kingdom-to-bratislava.html

RustyMac

That is a fair range of prices there GrahamS 6 fligts at under £65 then the small jump up to £2K

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.