• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The new Freeride line at Llandegla
  • peachos
    Free Member

Went up to Llandegla yesterday and had a walk down the new freeride line that is due to open in a month or so apparently. I'm very excited at this. It's massive…some of the jumps are the size of a house. Has anyone else any more information on when it's going to be ready? Any other additions we're likely to see? I was expecting to see something along the lines of the GT Freeride park, which is good fun and all that, but relatively tame. This scares the shyt out of me, and I like it.

On another note…the pumptrack there. Has anyone managed to get over the berm to complete the figure of 8? Was playing on there for ages yesterday trying to get the right line but just never seemed to have enough speed to get over the crest. 150mm forks weren't helping much.

mtbfix

The new freeride trail looks scary to me. Even the table-tops are so designed that you really have to jump them. My skill and bottle deficiency will mean I never ride it.

If you look for the pump track on youtube there is footage of a guy doing the jump over the berm and into the other bit of the loop. Again, I failed in this and the pump track made a fool of my wheels-on-ground preferences.

afrothunder88

It's still not open? I was there 2.5 months ago and it looked pretty much finished and like it was just bedding in.

Rebuilt my FS to play on that and then promptly buggered my knee.

peachos
    Free Member

hmmm…i thought it was bedding in at the moment afrothunder88. can't be too far off though, it was ridable apart from the fencing that was placed at incovenient spots all along the track. no signage though.

jedi

i was in talks to build that 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its pretty all straight forward before the bridge-you do have to pedal like a loon tho,theres not much help from gravity going on!Got drafted as guinea pig.Squarely hitting the demographic ;0)!.
    Keep gettin spat off 270ing the berm gap on the pump track tho.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I have mixed feelings about the line, really excited to get on it but quietly s******g it at the prospect of getting on it. Really impressed llandegla have decided to build it. Has Anyone got any further information about when it will open? The shop staff must be bored of me asking them when it’s going to open. Sadly they don’t have any idea. I’ve asked what the problem is and there doesn’t seem to be a sensible answer. It’s not planning or h&s apparently so what is it!!! Patience I guess.

zx1200r
    Free Member

Hi guys, it’s open! They opened it last Friday. Reckon I’ll do some but that big log jump I don’t think I’ve got the cojones for just yet :p
    They did a demo day last Saturday too. They’re doing good things a Deggy been going a while now. I go with a couple of mates one of which prefers just to do the black get food n go which is fine most of the time. Reckon I’ll book a day off for some play time…

t_i_m
    Free Member

Any pictures or videos yet?

zx1200r
    Free Member

Not seen any videos yet. Some info here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-freeride-area-at-llandegla-opens-this-weekend-28406

with more links on right of the page.

GavinB

I was there for the first time in over a year, and rode it on Sunday. Together with the new ‘dirt jump’ section on the Black it makes a really fun blast.

You have to pedal like a loon on the Freeride park though, as from the start ramp you have about 30m or so, to get enough speed to clear a pretty large tabletop with rocks filling in the table area. The drops are fun though, and great for playing on as the landings are pretty smooth.

Looked to be a few ‘chicken lines’ appearing already though, which is a shame as it will make the track look messy really quick.

zx1200r
    Free Member

Nice one GavinB your the first I’ve read who’s done it, apart from the wrecking crew of course. Think I’ll be having a mooch.

AlexSimon

There was a thread a day or so ago.
    There’s some good photos from this guy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurence-ce/

Seggons
    Free Member

looks amazing. Top notch photos too!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmmm I can’t decide whether I’m over-optimistic or just plain stupid, but none of those images make it look too tough (though some of the jumps look like I’d have to roll them through) but it doesn’t look like any of the sections actually NEED a chicken run? I guess you have to go there in person!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Dont think thge pictures are giving you the overall idea of how big most of it is and after the first few pages they are of the new black route (which I really like).

I like to think of myself as an okay rider (dont we all), do a double and drop okay, not even going to try the new freeride run at Degla. Been trying to think of anything else that compares at another trail center and can’t (and I’ve ridden alot of them). It needs 100% from the first run, no chance of a couple of rolls to get the feel for it. It would be nice to have chicken runs as some of the bits look great fun.

To be honest (and I hope I’m wrong) but looks like an Ambulance magnet to me. Very brave of them to put it in, but my prediction, they’ll do something to make it more rideable for mortals.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Man up johnikgriff, you can borrow my bike..or send the tiny beared one down first as a guinea pig-what the worst that could happen? He’s still got one working arm 😀

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Even the beared one wont touch it…. were getting the deck chairs out and video camera’s. Going to sit by the first drop after berm and make a fortune on you’ve been framed, also put Badger on speed dial for the medics 😀

GavinB

its not too bad really – but needs to be hit with a bit of speed otherwise you’ll case everything and without actually landing on the transition will lose the vital speed for the next big jump. I’m keen to go back!

jedi

i’ll pop up and have a look see

AlexSimon

It’s a shame about the reported pedalling. That’s one of the things that frustrate me about going to BMX tracks. I like to have a moment of calm before jumping, not be having to honk on the bars.

jedi

my mate went this weekend and said it’s shite and too pedally. 🙁

Bumhands
    Free Member

150mm forks weren’t helping much

Try locking them out on pump tracks.

AlexSimon

That’s a shame Jedi – it could have been awesome. Not that I wont give it a go and see for myself. But I’ve taken a good look before it was open and feared the same.

Pedally courses are for races IMO – this should have just been about letting rip and making people more comfortable going bigger.

Doug
    Free Member

Maybe they are going to start hiring out 250’s in the near future.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The new Freeride line at Llandegla’ is closed to new replies.