Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The Lakes…. advice please, weeks holiday in May…
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Planning to go to the lake district end of may, never been before so can anybody adivse on the following please (looked on the web and its a minefield of choice)…

Me the wife and our then 2 year old daughter.

Where to base ourselves for a week (remote self catering cottage/lodge preferable)but possibly near village with nice pub 😉

Possible activities, good weather and bad weather options!

I know there are lots of trails there but is there a good bike shop i can hire a half decent bike and do a trail for a day?

cheers for any pointers!

theteaboy
    Free Member

This must be the broadest question ever!

Start here: http://www.golakes.co.uk/

warton
    Free Member

when we stay in the lakes we always stay in boot. a little bit out of the way of the hoardes, but some good walking very close by, the minuature railway is great, two great pubs in the village. only downside is bit of a drive for supplies, and bit of a journey to ambleside, keswick etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkey_boy
    Free Member

This must be the broadest question ever!

I know sorry!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

As for bike hire have a look at Biketreks in Ambleside
    http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/Lake-district-bike-hire.aspx

surfer
    Free Member

My kids (much older than yours) love this place. Lakeland Zoo

totalshell

we ve a house in windermere.. its where you want to be restaurants pubs b and b cottages lake boat rides walks bike routes close top main road rail links etc etc.. yes its not a twee cottage high on the fell miles from anywhere but then with a two year old that aint your bag.. if you want tpo push the envelope.. Coniston BEST place in the world.. smaller, lots of facilities, quieter.. steam yachts rowing boats etc on coniston water and the highlight.. my family plot in the church yard!!

djglover
    Free Member

I love the lakes but with a young family I learned a couple of things holidaying there.

1 – They’d rather have someone to play with
    2 – They prefer the beach.

We have a much better time on the Llyn Peninsula than in the lakes. Sometimes we let the gradparents have the twins whilst we escape to the lakes

Trekster
    squiff
    Free Member

We stay when we go to the Lakes, great for the whole family

Home

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers for the replies!

sparksmcguff

Stavely and Kentmere are lovely, great riding, lovely beer. Windermere is not my favourite place, much prefer Ambleside. Elterwater isn’t too far from Ambleside and there’s some lovely riding(including Iron Keld) and an ace pub (Britannia Inn http://britinn.net/). Hawkshead has a playground, a pub and is close to Grizedale.

kendalcottages
    Free Member

Hello from the edge of the Lake District (Kendal to be precise).

I wouldn’t have thought you want to be out in the sticks either, not with a 2 year old. But, if you did want to be somewhere remote, there are endless opportunities as the first respondent suggests. The outskirts of the ‘honeypot’ villages of Windermere, Bowness, Ambleside, Coniston, Hawkshead, Grasmere and Keswick are all places you could look.

We have a holiday place also that you might like to look at but it certainly wouldn’t qualify as remote: http://www.kendalcottages.com – it’s a town centre location so near all amenities but peaceful, too, because it’s on the river. Possibly not what you’re looking for, but Kendal does have a soft play centre, a cinema (and other events) at the Brewery Arts Centre, and the World of Beatrix Potter Attraction / South Lakes Wild Animal Park / Lakes Aquarium / etc. are all within easy reach and great for little ones for those wet weather days.

Kendal also has an Evans Cycles and Askew Cycles hire bikes at a competitive rate. Plus Wheelbase mentioned above is just up the road.

Whatever you decide on, I hope you enjoy your visit to this beautiful county. 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes…. advice please, weeks holiday in May…’ is closed to new replies.