Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The "jumps" on the energy section on whites level
  • nickc

Has anyone actually ever got airborne over them? Is it just me or are they the most badly designed jumps ever. I reckon you'd need a jetpack to get any near close

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I hate that section – it's like it's there to show you what could be a brilliant trail but just doesn't work.

I do know some people who can air them consistently (eg not just one of them which would be easy enough) but they're either silly fast or silly fit – fair enough for them but frustrating to everyone else I've seen ride it.

carriegold
    Free Member

not been here so just checked them out on uTube.

Yep reckon I could get air time on them – sadly with my skill level this would be withOUT the bike 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

I couldn't get anything off the first couple just too big were more like hills than jumps but it was my first ever go on that section, did get abit off a couple of the ones after that.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yep. I've cleared them. You have to hit the first one REALLY quick to carry enough speed through to do the entire set. Even so I only just made the last one. Absolutely bolloxed by the end of them

None of them have proper lips on (to stop numpties getting punted OTB I presume), so you do really have to work if you want air.

it's like it's there to show you what could be a brilliant trail but just doesn't work

Pretty much my feeling about the whole energy section. It almost works, but not quite, and as such is really annoying. And just when you've got into the jumps they throw an uphill section at you, which is crippling when you have your saddle low enough to jump. Then you get the nice whizzy bit through the trees. Then another climb. It mostly seems to be an excercise in increasing your lactic acid threshold.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yeah doable 😉

JPcapel
    Free Member

have always been disappointed by this section, which I'd guess had the most money thrown at it when it was made(?) given the sponsor(?).
    THe fact it also has some bits that go uphill makes it complete gash! summer lightning in Surrey is better by miles! (IMHO).
    I do like the rest of Whites level though.
    And agree the table top style jumps just aren't easy to ride and get air, you've got to commit some serious speed to clear them.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I've cleaned them on my SS, you just have to pedal fast into them. I agree that they're not exactly the best jumps ever!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was not impressed with all the climbing. Just when I was getting into Whoop Whoop mode on the downs they throw another climb at you, worst one of the lot was after the Boardwalk section, totally pointless and a right pain in the arse. I felt that the 6k climb I'd started with was enough climbing for one trail.

Think the first one could do with being around two foot lower which would make the rest work a lot better too.

nickc

Right more speed then. I was going pretty rapidly mind… 😕 Could get the first one, but the others…

Oh and the lower sections of the trail have been surfaced with what looks suspiciously like tarmac…all that little elf trail through the wood?..Tarmac, all the berms and drops after that? Tarmac…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yeah that grey stuff looks weird I think it's rock dust grippy though!

Keva
    Free Member

rather blurry pick of a mate of mine hoiking his bike into the air !

K

Keva
    Free Member

ps.. I really like the Energy section, it's all good.

K

Straightliner

I agree with you as well, that section really doesn't work well for me. I can force a few inches of air if I give it some welly, but I'm not talented enough to get big air through it, it all seems a little too uphill at times.

I also struggle with the general flow of that section – I love a lot of the White's route, and the Wall is great too, but the Energy trail just doesn't work as well as the others.

llama

it is better than the fireroad it replaced by a looooong way

you all moan too much

and even I can get air and even _almost_ clear some of them. So you must all be crap riders too 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's true, I'm shite, a bad workman and all that….

mooman
    Free Member

lol at the pix of people getting air of them…..i can bunny-hop higher than that – riding up hill lol

i totally agree with the majority feeling that the energy trail promises more than it really delivers. Its one of those trails you cant really decide if its a seat up or seat down section..

Keva
    Free Member

i totally agree with the majority feeling that the energy trail promises more than it really delivers.

What has it promised you ?

K

clubber
    Free Member

Fame and fortune. It fell a long way short.

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm… Are we talking about the same bit?

On my XC race bike I have a hard time keeping it on the floor. Just a tiny flick and I get flung way higher in the air than I want to be on that bike.

Plenty of air for me!

clubber
    Free Member

You're obviously an XC/air god 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Air, check!

clubber
    Free Member

That's the final descent isn't it? Not Energy

GaryLake
    Free Member

No it is Energy.

clubber
    Free Member

Even so, as I said, it's not an issue getting air on one or a few of the jumps but rather actually doing it right along them as it's constantly robbing your speed.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

This is the first table on the energy section from a video still:

they don't deliver much height, I really had to work the bike to clear them

mooman
    Free Member

its not just getting 4 or 5inches of air off them. Its getting enough to clear the top and take you down the other side. And not one of the pix yet shows the rider getting enough air …or the rider in the correct position to do it.

Take the table-tops at cwmcarn. There you have to be carefull not to get too much air. Energy trail is a big let-down in comparison.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Moaningtrackworld™

GaryLake
    Free Member

In all seriousness though, I do fail to understand how much people hate the energy section.

Massive fireroad descents that lead you to massive fireroad climbs are the sort of things I hate…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

its not just getting 4 or 5inches of air off them. Its getting enough to clear the top and take you down the other side. And not one of the pix yet shows the rider getting enough air …or the rider in the correct position to do it.

that's a rubbish troll. My pic is from this video of me clearing them….

llama

they are not as difficult as the massive one on the black run at brechfa

toys19
    Free Member

I like it, but you do have to work hard. And as for the bottom section/climb, that appears to be just a trail builders screw up..

mooman
    Free Member

leggyblonde – I didnt look at the vid. Ok, so you cleared it…

but how exactly did you have to work the bike as you say? you rolled into it..lol

sheldona
    Free Member

Both my pics show us clearing them with ease.

molgrips
    Free Member

Take the table-tops at cwmcarn. There you have to be carefull not to get too much air.

On the freeride section? I have trouble getting any air at all on them, I huck for all I'm worth but nothing.

Having said that, I am not usually going very fast at this point…

showerman
    Free Member

maybe it was designed so you do not get too much air so avoiding the broken bodys that come with it so having it all closed down by the legal leeches

nickc

they are not as difficult as the massive one on the black run at brechfa

But at least with the ones at Brechfa they look like they at least been designed with jumping in mind.

I don't 'hate' the Energy section GaryLake, those jumps are just frustrating is all.

donks
    Free Member

I think they're good, i like going fast here anyhow and you manual them off the lip as well which is quite fun also.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I try to brake/suck-up just enough to avoid airtime, but find that makes it hard to really flow through them – maybe the last one is a bit tall. I'd like to be able to get air without crashing; having to slow down for jumps is a bit dull.

DT78
    Free Member

I've only been through that section twice and I found that despite trying hard with the first two jumps and hitting them fast I stayed pretty much on the ground and then on the third jump it properly launched me and I nearly lost it as I dropped into the dip rather than landing on the downslope, scared me so much I haven't been back!

The other niggle I have there is there are some really nice little steps to pop off in the narrow woody bit, but they have put bloody turns straight after them so if you do jump them properly with any sort of air/distance you end up disappearing off the actual trail.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The "jumps" on the energy section on whites level’ is closed to new replies.