Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The joys of B+ and Boost….
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Oh man, I’m awaiting the drop of a new mountain bike through my letter box, have been for the last couple of weeks.

However I’ve been crushed to find out that going slightly out of the norm is not without it’s own special joy.

Firstly, the rims that were ordered (scrapers) seems to have a troubled journey from Holland and were shy about turning up (apparently). Difficult to build a wheel without em though.

Today, however, I was told that the Reba Boost forks that were ordered turned up as normal instead (only discovered when tried to fit the Boost wheel in them). And that the distributor didn’t have any stock. And wouldn’t have in stock until mid Nov at the earliest.

Due to the tanking of the pound nobody seems to want to take in stock if they don’t know how it’ll sell. As far as I can tell the only boost 120mm 29er fork readily available is the Fox Factory 34 Float…. At the increase of a couple hundred quid to the build…. Still, not overly distraught at that particular upgrade though…

So, maybe next week…. sigh.

sambob
    Free Member

Buy a Pike and put a shorter air shaft in it?

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s pretty much a custom build via the bike company. Cost of Fox and Pike would end up similar to me so agreed on the Factory 34’s. Also looked at x-Fusion but nothing suitable in stock with distributors. Didn’t want to break the build and go internet shopping, this’ll be my first fully built mtb in probably 20 years.

scotroutes

Will you be riding it by next Friday?

metalheart
    Free Member

SR: debatable at present. They should get the forks by early next week and the build finished but then they have to ship it to Scotland which everybody knows is a third world country with only farm tracks so will take at least two days… But they know I have plans for that day.

Still have my Solaris (although I’ll need to slap back in the 29er wheels).

But hopefully, yeah :mrgreen:

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

How about Manitou Magnum Pro, CRC have stock, 29plus and 27.5plus, 120mm travel and 30% off too at the moment. Just waiting for mine to turn up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/manitou-magnum-pro-forks-15mm-2016/rp-prod134144

metalheart
    Free Member

@bug: as per previous post, this will be my first fully built bike I’ve bought in knocking on 20 years. With it being a bit out of the norm I decided to leave the hassle of ensuring everything was compatible, etc., to someone else. I’ve agreed the *upgrade* now so it’s also kind of academic.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

There’s a 120mm RS1 in the classifieds

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

What frame did you get?

metalheart
    Free Member

The new Sherpa.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Very nice frame, let us know how it rides once you build it.
    Did you check the new Tarn?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Why go for boost front when the rear isn’t?

weeksy

What’s boost?

oldnpastit

What’s boost?

A new hub standard. 148mm wide instead of the usual 135mm/142mm.

I can kind of see the rationale, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

weeksy

Thanks chap

metalheart
    Free Member

Why go for boost front when the rear isn’t?

Because my non boost Reba 29er fork doesn’t even take a 2.8″ NN without loosing paint at the bulge. I want to run up to 3″. I’m getting a new bike, might as well go with what seems to be the better option.

Frame is 142 bolt through and website says it takes 3″. That’s good enough for me. Other than custom, is there Boost rear hardtails out there?

scotroutes

Marin Pine Mountain

metalheart
    Free Member

Did you check the new Tarn?

No, I was doing the research when my folks were ill (I needed something completely different to take my mind off things). When I decided to go for it (end of June) the new Tarn wasn’t ‘out there’ and I’d already had several decent discussions with Stanton about the build which led me to believe the Sherpa was meeting my requirements….

The situation with my folks (they both passed in July) meant I wasn’t too motivated to rehashing my decision (and Dan had reserved a frame for me).

I would be surprised if I don’t post a thread (or revive an older one) especially if I get it for my planned outing next Friday. Albeit a bit muted due to the rib situation…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have X-Fusion McQueen on my plus Hardtail.. Work really well and think they still have stock at uk distributor.

metalheart
    Free Member

Aren’t mcqueens 140mm? Wanted 120mm….

And I’ve gone with the Factory 34’s….

papercutout
    Free Member

Metalheart – from memory these hardtail frames are boost and fit 650b+: (obviously all 2016 models, not earlier)
    Specialized Fuse
    Trek Stache

142×12:
    DMR Trailstar
    Ragley Bigwig

I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t get a Manitou 650b+ fork, if that’s the tyre size you want.

benpinnick

Stick a 120 Yari in there or McQueens (you’ll need to convert them down to 120). Both will work well (and better than a Reba). If you buy the McQueens off an actual shop then the 120 conversion is free from the distro. That said neither distro has either Yaris or McQueen HLRs in stock for a few weeks, but they are easily found online.

Captain_Sponge

I got some Boosted 120mm Pikes from Merlin last week, decent price and 29er/650plus compatible so happy I can run a 3.0 tyre in there.

frood
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people keep ignoring metalheart when he says he’s happy with the fork he’s ordered and doesn’t want to get something else when the fox meets his requirements. Sounds like a nice build and looking forward to hearing how you get on with the bike once it arrives metalheart! Enjoy

metalheart
    Free Member

C’mon frood, this is STW, not reading the OP is to be expected… :mrgreen:

As is recommending what you’ve got regardless.

It might help someone else though. I’ve given up saying thanks, but I’ve ordered my fork already….

Just the waiting now.

metalheart
    Free Member

To answer the question of why boost at the front:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JTjUHi]Nobby Nic 2.8" & Reba RL #1[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JA7vwy]Tyre rub[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

scotroutes

You want to get some Boost forks on there mate.

metalheart
    Free Member

😆

metalheart
    Free Member

Just for you Scotroutes:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MHRTfb]Boost….[/url]

After many trials and tribulations…

andytheadequate
    Free Member

You can’t tease us with that picture, post a few more of the whole bike! I’m looking at getting a Stanton with plus tyres next year so very interested to see how it looks and your opinions on how it rides

metalheart
    Free Member

@Andy, check my bandwagon thread (or follow the link).

Not had the chance to test it (only got it Tuesday night and its been raining/dark here. Will get out on it sometime in the next week though, I’ll post my thoughts no doubt.

Running 2×11 SLX and chain clearance is pretty much non-existant at 26×42 with the 3″ Trail Boss. It’s either 2.8″ or 1x I think.

scotroutes

Told ya so.

Tra, la la, la la

metalheart
    Free Member

Told ya so.

Just as well that I’ll never need a gear that low (unless I’m climbing trees)… <we really need a whistling emoji or whatever you call em>

You’ll be callin me fat next…

scotroutes

Chubby.

3″ is chubby. 4″ is fat 😉

Still, if you need a home for that Trail Boss…

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, I need to get it properly sealed first…

You have problems sealing on the scrapers?

andytheadequate
    Free Member

That’s a stunning bike, just found the rest of the pictures! The green frame doesn’t look all that good on the website but looks lovely there.

metalheart
    Free Member

@andy: its a little washed out in the photos due to taking the photos at after 5pm tonight on a grey day. But, yeah, I reckon its pertty nice lookn myself…

This is probably the most representative of it:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N3vdND]Down tube[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

scotroutes

Only running one tubless at the moment but it was a doddle. WTB rims seem to be fairly “tight” so once the bead is in it’s a good fit. I’d try inflating it with a tube first, leave it a couple of days to straighten out, then break the bead at one side, remove the tube, pour in some sealant and pump like fury. Mine went up OK with a standard trackpump.

Northwind

That green is lovely.

Just been testing my 3 inch nic/ron combo in the remedy with non-boost, tbh there’s bugger all spare clearance- sticky mud’s going to be iffy. Main thing is- it looks frikkin awesome. If it doesn’t work out in the remedy, I might find a hardtail frame for them or I might just give up but it’s been fun so far

psycorp
    Free Member

That green is lovely.

Just been testing my 3 inch nic/ron combo in the remedy with non-boost, tbh there’s bugger all spare clearance- sticky mud’s going to be iffy. Main thing is- it looks frikkin awesome. If it doesn’t work out in the remedy, I might find a hardtail frame for them or I might just give up but it’s been fun so far

I can thoroughly recommend the Dartmoor Primal Plus if you’re after a cheap boost hardtail frame to try. Service from Slam69 was good too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The joys of B+ and Boost….’ is closed to new replies.