Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Great Saddle Conspiracy Theory
  • toronte
    Free Member

Don’t know how known this is but here it goes:
    I was looking for a comfy saddle as I realised how good the stock saddle on my Defy felt after sitting on it from a Fizik Gobi on my Zesty. I began searching for for a Giant saddle for my Zesty too. I found out that the stock Giant saddle is a Velo make, type: VL-1205. So I knew what to look for from now on. As I was searching for VL-1205 saddles I found so many but from different brands. The Charge Spoon is also a VL-1205, but I could name Velo Endzone, Bikefun Granada, an also stock Merida X-mission and supposedly many more. Go on, see it for yourself, do the search for vl-1205 saddles. It also resembles the Ritchey Marathon but I’m not sure about that one. If you do your research in the subject you’ll find many more similarities between differently branded saddles too. I suspect that the platform comes from Velo for many.

Just wanted to share my find and hear about your experiences and opinions.

BTW the 1205 saddles are light around 230-260g,comfy and brilliant VFM. I suppose they come with different padding, different rails and obviously different trim.

Here are a few pics for comparison:

Not sure about this guy:

Look for the sticker:

toronte
    Free Member

Another lessen learned after weighing the stock Giant carbon seatpost: diameter:30,9 length: 350mm weight: 300g.
    Replaced with Thomson Elite 0 setback: diameter:30,9, length:410mm weight: 260g.
    Carbon doesn’t mean it’s lighter.
    Our life is a lie 🙂

tomhoward

I really hope you didn’t spend too much time researching all that. Not so much a conspiracy as brands using pattern parts for budget products….

Wait,

I suppose they come with different padding, different rails and obviously different trim.

So whats the same again?

Heres a fun one for you, notice how some superstar pedals look a bit like nukeproof ones?

EDIT OEM seatpost not being as good as the best aftermarket kit? 🙄

lemonysam
    Free Member

go on…

jameso

VL-1205 is one of the most universally comfy Velo saddles. I’ve used / specced it a lot, since 2007-2008 maybe. Never been a great secret that so many brands use it. You can choose top cover, rail and padding material but the basics are the same.
    There’s other saddles I find much comfier, but there’s not many that so many people are ok with for at least a couple of hours.

daveh
    Free Member

You can add the Madison flux to your list too.

uwe-r
    Free Member

In the world of Windsurfing 95% of the boards you can buy across all the brands come from one single factory!

toronte
    Free Member

Like I said I do not know how common knowledge is this for others, it was a new find for me. The Gobi was recommended by many others but they give me numbness after really short time. I was happy to find a cheap alternative.

Northwind

And Gusset R series (in brilliant colours)

bigblackshed

I like that Gusset saddle. Reet classy that. Right up my alley. 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Right up my alley

You’re sitting on it wrong then 😉

smett72

Right up my alley

You’re sitting on it wrong then

😆

Cheezpleez

Evans also do a saddle based on the same blank

Pieface

Newsflash – Merida make most bike frames.

Ford focus is the platform for mist cars on the road.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ford focus is the platform for mist cars on the road.

Presuming you mean “most” cars on the road, no they aren’t. Quite a lot are (some Mazda and a fair few Volvo.) but far from most.

And the platform was a joint venture between the three companies, so it’s not like ford are making all the cars is it ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Great Saddle Conspiracy Theory’ is closed to new replies.