Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The Great Merino Myth
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

Merino socks are lovely (but washed daily), merino tops on the other hand are horrible itchy, scratchy sweaty things things, I only wear mine when it's well below freezing.

That said my sweat doesn't really smell wet or dry, so normal man made fabrics suit me fine.

crikey
    Free Member

The Great Merino Myth is that it performs as a technical fabric; as people have already pointed out, it doesn't deal with moisture as well as manmade stuff. I bought one on the strength of recommendations from here and was very disappointed, ending rides wet when using manmade tops I would be dry.
    It's also very expensive and fragile compared to things like hellys lifa; I've got a 16 year old one still going strong..

miketually
    Free Member

The Great Merino Myth is that it performs as a technical fabric; as people have already pointed out, it doesn't deal with moisture as well as manmade stuff. I bought one on the strength of recommendations from here and was very disappointed, ending rides wet when using manmade tops I would be dry.

I think it just deals with moisture differently. Man-made stuff lets the water through without absorbing it, while merino soaks it up.

I got soaked on a ride when my waterproof failed, but I didn't notice until I got home because the merino base layer I was wearing was still warm. In fact, merino actually gets warmer when it gets wet.

They are fragile though. My Howies long sleeve base layer has some holes in the hem from being washed with shorts that had a velcro closure and my Swobo shortsleeve ride top has a hole in the arm from where I tried taking it off with a race number still pinned through it and into the layer beneath.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I think this must be the problem I have with merino too, although I'd never realised quite why. Every time I go out for a ride in merino it feels almost as if I'm sweating out a fever. Hence, the definite need to wash my merino after every ride. Still, it's 2010 now and automatic washing machines have been invented for at least the last oh, 80 years or so… 😉

mudsux
    Free Member

…please – for the love of god – tell me why you've never washed your socks for 'years'?!

because they're my lucky socks. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

coating of fatty acids/lanolins.

How does this survive washing?

because they're my lucky socks

Your special salty sock?

james-o
    Free Member

i don't think it does survive extended machine washing. i just rinse mine in lukewarm water from time to time and dry properly after a ride. i've worn the same top every day for 3 weeks plus and it didn't smell sweaty, brilliant stuff for trips when you're out for days on end in mixed conditons. it's no myth, natural fibres end to work better than man-made.

clubber
    Free Member

it's no myth, natural fibres end to work better than man-made.

Define 'works better'.

For me, in summer, other than smell, it works less well.

james-o
    Free Member

fair point – feels more comfy, works across a wider range of temperatures and dryness.
    i've used the same top in warm conditions as well as cold and it's a wider-ranging item than others i have. but i'd agree in dry, warm conditons polyester's at least as good and faster drying, feels cooler, but get to the top of a high hill in summer where it's cooler and windy and your top is damp – then i'd still rather be wearing wool.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Merino / synthetic. They both have their pros and cons. Merino is a perfectly good technical fabric, it just has different properties to synthetics, which in themselves have a wide range of different properties.

I love merino, but apart from synthetic/merino mix socks, I wouldn't wear it all the time in all conditions.

FOG

what ever works for your particular personal ecosystem! Synthetic just makes me sweat more and stink even more. One berghaus top was relegated from biking to walking and still made me feel as if I was wearing a plastic bag full of cold water.The no-wash plus for merino is only useful for trips really. Most people at home will just wash there gear as a matter of course but away it's handy to leave them as long as you can stand it

UpQuickDownSlow

I'm addicted to merino. I find a merino top is fine for a week (200 km) of commuting without a wash.

If you find merino itchy, you've bought cheap stuff.

philjunior
    Free Member

I find it definately less smelly. Even one top I've got that's a merino blend is vastly less smelly than any of the synthetic tops I have.

Merino I can wear for days without it honking, synthetic won't last a day if it's warm before honking.

Also find merino chafes my nips less. 🙂

Not 100% sure about (wicking) performance, but I'd choose not to smell and having intact nipples over having dry clothes next to my skin!

(It can be a bit fragile though)

clareymorris

I'm a total merino fan but it is good to see newer items with zips and short sleeves etc for essential venting!!!! I'm merino only through autumn winter and spring….I love it and only wash it every few rides or if I forget and leave it sweaty in my bag!!!
    Haven't touched my sealskins this winter, woolly boolies only, and have not suffered with cold feet once, even when wet. Love em love em love em 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The Great Merino Myth’ is closed to new replies.