Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The first genuinely charming article in the Daily Wail?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Honestly I am as surprised as anyone but this is a genuinely charming article (although i am sure there is a far right/UKIP/what England used to be angle to the story).

See if for what it really is and it is heart warming.

Lost Photographs

cloudnine
    Free Member

You need to cut and paste it.. DF links are banned

Cougar

Well,

Point the first, Daily Mail links aren’t “banned,” you can post them quite happily. The first link failed because the OP overwrote the “http” header from the URL so the forum interpreted it as a relative link,not because it was “banned.”

Point the second, it’s not “censorship,” it’s injecting a warning page for anyone who might click it inadvertently, and a nofollow attribute to prevent the DM from benefiting from free advertising from STW and increasing their PageRank scores.

Jamie
    Free Member

OP might like the following blog:

http://look-at-me.tumblr.com/

Edit: Whoomph!

DezB
    Free Member

it’s not “censorship,”

Exactly – you just copy and paste the link into your browser. Nothing stops you going there. Well, except your own good sense.

binners

Don’t click on it. This is how it starts. You go to look at something not necessarily that evil, and before you know it you’re bogged down in the Sideboob Sidebar of Shame 😥

DezB
    Free Member

I went. Some of those colour photos are lovely.

AND! There’s NO SIDEBAR. Quite a relief really, dropping my trousers in the office is quite frowned upon.

leffeboy

Here ya go, link without the daily mail

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/15/wwii-honeymoon-_n_5332409.html

Some of the photos really are lovely. It’s the honeymoon link between them that makes them fabulous

allthepies
    Free Member

One of many pitched tents on that honeymoon.

user-removed
    Free Member

From the comments, “Apart from WW2 starting, life must have been idyllic”

😯

bigrich

it conjures images of what britain should be, but sacrificed because of europe.

classic daily mail.

maccruiskeen

“Apart from WW2 starting, life must have been idyllic”

From the Daily Mail’s point of view its was – no welfare state and no NHS. Actual heaven on earth 🙂

Cougar
    DezB
    Free Member

I found boxes of slides like that when we cleared my aunt’s house.
    Most of them were flower gardens, but there was some interesting old family pics. (Not worthy of the Daily papers/websites).
    I projected them onto the wall and took a photo of the projected image.
    Me, my older bruv, aunt and grandparents. I’m still very butch.

robdob
    Free Member

Those pictures are just beautiful. There is still an England like that, sometimes it’s hard to find but it’s still there.

welshfarmer

Yeah, in Wales and Scotland 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

From the Daily Mail’s point of view its was – no welfare state and no NHS. Actual heaven on earth

To be fair I don’t think WWII breaking out was a particular issue for the daily mail either. It was after all, started by their Nazi friends.

samuri
    Free Member

And here’s an interesting point on censorship.

I’ve been trying to quote that Idyllic message followed by Viscount Rothermere’s ‘Hurrah for the Blackshirts’ quote after it in the comments section.

I don’t know if it’s my end or if I’m being censored but it simply won’t work. i keep getting the message ‘Something Has gone wrong’ from the website.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

welshfarmer, that made me chuckle. 😆

bigblackshed

welshfarmer – Member
    Yeah, in Wales and Scotland

twinw4ll – Member
    welshfarmer, that made me chuckle.

I laughed so much coffee came out of my nose.

I’ve got lots of slides like Dezb’s up there. Without the mincing though. 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cougar apologies for the misunderstanding. My comments were slightly tongue in cheek.

Interesting that the pictures first appeared on DP Review – I like that site but haven’t visited it for a while.

The photos are great. Glad others appreciated them as well.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘The first genuinely charming article in the Daily Wail?’ is closed to new replies.