Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 'The Empire Strikes Back' in Woburn
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

A big 'Thank You' to whoever cut this trail. Rode it yesterday for first time. Wonderful. The notice in the tree is such a cool touch.

jedi

🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

and the 'extras' appearing on the Brickhills side too.

Had to do quite a bit of branch clearing yesterday though, the no-fun brigade have been out and no-cycling signs are appearing everywhere – nicely indicating the best riding !

jedi

i helped out with a trail there few weeks ago. i like exploring as i dont know the whole area. actually may go there today 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

if it is ok, does anyone have a sat nav postcode ( or road name) for woburn trails. i can email if required.

oldgit
    Free Member

I fear the no cycling signs may have arrived too late, as I've said before we ain't gonna go away now.
    If only people had listend when we offered to do this trail cutting thing properly. Could have saved upset as well as errosion.
    And remember, most of that area is plantation AFAIK anyway. How often do they turn up with heavy machinery and obliterate the place.
    It really boils my wee, people don't mind seeing an area devestated by logging, they don't mind car parks and cafés in the forest, but someone on a bicycle AHHHHH end of the world and all civilisation.

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyway where's this trail then?
    Is it the one that goes off to the left of the Heather Run/Pain Alley?
    The nice flowy one with two little steep drops in it.

flap_jack
    Free Member

oldgit, Yes, if you look at the start there's a little title sign high in the trees. Startlingly narrow in places, as my bruised shoulder will testify.

Juiced, just turn up and find someone to go round with – that's how I was shown few trails, then I knew what to look out for. Or, going into Phil Corley's and finding out when they're going out is another option (if you're fit enough !)

There's tons of riding, hours of singletrack once you find it. Don't forget Stocky Park – there's also a couple of good loops signposted in there..

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

the no-fun brigade have been out and no-cycling signs are appearing everywhere

So just put up some no 'dog sh1tting here' signs next to them. Permit holders have agreed not to ride anywhere except on the designated trails and I'd guess the penalty for not doing so is you lose the permit and they lose 11 quid a year which walkers do not pay. Caught without a permit the penalty is .. err not a lot.

Jase
    Free Member

New trail also by the gate to Aspley woods: By the 2 concrete blocks turn right and trail runs up along fence to the gate at the top opposite the house.

blaggers
    Free Member

I found the new one dropping into the start of Trippy Tucker Trail from Sandy Lane end last week, where is Heather Run/Pain Alley is it the same as Tight n Spikey on this map?

Woburn Map

Cheers

blaggers
    Free Member

Anyone about? or is giving away locals trail locations a no-no 😉

Jase
    Free Member

Yep heather run is tight and spikey, go down the new trail to the right of it.

Also new trail that starts just above the swampy bit at the end of trippey trucker. Goes across the face of the hill towards the house by the road.

Seemed to be a few others last week that I din't get a chance to explore.

grahamt1980

Gorse run needs a trim or did last time I went down there.
    You needed a suit of armour last time, bloody spiky things

oldgit
    Free Member

We spend a day over there once a year me and old Nick-No-Balance (him in the piccy) just clearing the gorse on the trails near the lodge. Across the road doesn't need doing anymore after all the logging.

blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers, shall have a look round next week for the new stuff. Any idea who's putting the branches across the golf course trail rhodedendron swamp? Seemed pretty amateurish, so assume it's not the estate owners. Needs to be kept open as it's the best way into the double drop through the woods (although the first drop is now a sandy gully!)

lambchop
    Free Member

Tried to go down the 'gorse run' last week but it's totally overgrown. Happy to help do some clearing if anyone else is up for it?

Jamie
    Free Member

As a newly enabled driver I plan on being a regular at Woburn so count me in for a bit of trail maintenance. Will give me a chance to see where every thing is as well.

Off down Woburn tomorrow morning as it goes…yay! Just got to decide whether to leave P'boro at stupid o'clock to beat the traffic or leave a after the rushour about 9ish…decisions decisions!

…now if only my iPhone camera was as good as the trail 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

I was going to go tomorrow but I have to go in to uni to print a load of stuff off 🙁

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Liking the new stuff guys.I miss Woburn-200+ miles away in South Wales for the last 18 months.

Touched that folk still call it the "Trippy Tucker Trail"

Must pay a visit one bank holiday soon.

Chris"trippy"Tucker

bungalistic
    Free Member

I intend to go have a look at this place on the weekend or possibly even thursday eve after work, if anyone is around to join me.

oldgit
    Free Member

Chris your trail is now nearly back to normal after all the felling. I think it's great that someone new comes along and pushes it every now and again.
    I think the balance is tipping our way now at last.

timmys

…now if only my iPhone camera was as good as the trail

The camera might be crap but thanks to the GPS data it embedded in your photo I might be able to at least find the bloody trail now 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

Quick everybody lets move it again 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm up there tonight and Wednesday night.

timdrayton
    Free Member

anyone up there this sunday?

will be there from 10am, any maps etc would be good as i dont really know where to go?

timdrayton@live.co.uk

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

It's all changed a lot since we first started up there.Why I like it so much"organic" trails that grow and shift as people make new lines.
    I have big hills in the back garden almost now but do appreciate that Woburn is where it all started for me and will always have a bit of sand stuck somewhere in my teeth/shorts/chain…

I do miss it!

Jamie
    Free Member

The camera might be crap but thanks to the GPS data it embedded in your photo I might be able to at least find the bloody trail now

I cannot see how people cannot find it. My first trip and i located it….maybe it was because i was not looking for it.

Anyways, going to take a some tools tomorrow morning to trim back some of the gorse that flayed my flesh last friday.

robbo1234biking

My first trip there was on Saturday and plenty to ride – a couple of offs too which was entertaining for all. Will have to get over that way more and learn some more of it!

Jamie
    Free Member

..at this rate will have to have a STW Woburn Ride 😉

halfbee
    Free Member

bungalistic
    Free Member

Before I hit this place up tomorrow afternoon are there any rules or do's and don'ts I should know of.

Do you recommend any particular bit for my first time there (the pump track really appeals to me) and what sort of tyres would you recommend, usually run highrollers but if woburn is anything like chicksands maybe the holyrollers would be nicer.

If anyone is free and fancies being a tour guide and that would be cool too.

Opinions appreciated 🙂

Jase
    Free Member

timdrayton – Cyclone mtb meet up there at 10am on Sundays so prob worth tagging along with them for a bit.

jedi

i'm coaching there tomorrow so say hi if you see me.
    its the same sandy trails as chicksands

bungalistic
    Free Member

Sweet i'll say hi if I spot you.

Anyone else who happens to be there say hi if you see me, i'll be on the white ns bike with the broken 55 forks

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘'The Empire Strikes Back' in Woburn’ is closed to new replies.