Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • The Dyfi Enduro Thread
  • coppice
    Free Member

Just over a week away, how’s everyone feeling?

I don’t feel ready at all and know i’m going to struggle. I’ve never done the Dyfi before but did the Ard Rock Marathon last September. I know i’m not as fit as I was then and have left the training too late. I’m expecting the Dyfi to be harder, anyone done both and care to comment?

Any other tips for a newbie?

packer
    Free Member

I entered as an incentive to get myself in shape again and do more riding… it didn’t work, and I have barely done anything!
    Still on the fence as to whether I’m actually going to do it or not…
    I did it about 10 years back when I was a lot fitter and I remember it being pretty tough then…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Forgot all about it.. has anyone had any email correspondence from stuweb??
    Ive got an email with a transaction confirmation but nothing else..

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t feel ready at all and know i’m going to struggle

I bought a ticket from the classifieds in a spur of the moment bit of madness. I thought this was just a picturesque 35 mile ride with sausage rolls and beer….should I be worried?

sandwicheater

Frame broke last week. Watching the door as a new frame should be arriving today. Fingers crossed.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’m doing it again this year and can’t wait. The last time was 2008 I think and again I’ve done not a jot of training.
    You’ll be fine.
    Just make sure you get back before the showers run out of hot water, cause it’s not nice otherwise. 🙂

Metasequoia

If you don’t feel fit don’t worry just go slower; its that kind of event!!

sandwicheater

We have booked sun haven’t we?

rhid

I am not doing it this year but have done it 6 or 7 times in the past. I have done the Ard Rock All Mountian challenge twice too and can safely say the Dyfi is a lot harder. However, its not a race so just take it easy and enjoy it (if you can, its tough)….

dazh

Frame broke last week. Watching the door as a new frame should be arriving today. Fingers crossed.

If you don’t get sorted I can lend you a bike. You’re not getting out of it that easy 🙂

We have booked sun haven’t we?

It pissed it down non-stop last year and it was great fun 🙂

sandwicheater

@dazh, cheers sir, you are a gent. Lee’s also said he can help me out if need be.

superfli
    Free Member

Can’t do it this year, gutted. It’s one of my fav events, but baby due very soon. Such a fun long weekend away for the whole family. Last year was filth, but I think it was my best one lol!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Done it umpteen times before, couldn’t be bothered with the 5 hour drive last year and was so miserable at mayday weekend that my wife insisted I do it this year!
    I’ll be on an ugly grey Five and riding with a large man on an ancient Cannondale Prophet, he has a habit if squealing like an excited schoolgirl when riding downhills. I apologise on his behalf if he scares anyone.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I think this is my seventh. First one was ten years ago. In the worst shape yet, and currently have a bad back. But I’m sure it will be ok on the day.

Spent a while this morning reading up on cramp prevention, dyfi cramp is evil.

And I’ll be riding my ancient robin mather with unfashionable wheel size and unfashionable angles.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have people had tickets through the post or any emails??

Rubber_Buccaneer

Have people had tickets through the post or any emails??

I wondered about this having bought a second hand ticket so I sent them a message on Facebook. The reply I received suggested they hadn’t sent out any info yet but it would be on Facebook when they do.

If anyone has received sign in location, time, etc type info please share 🙂

dazh

Tickets? You just turn up and sign your name on the list surely? It’s always worked in the past, why change it?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sure but I’d like to know where and when to sign my name. Won’t worry too much until the end of next week though

dazh

In the beer tent the day before or on the morning. It’s really very simple so don’t worry.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone know what time it starts and rough time to get round the course??

dazh

Start at 11am. Fast lads go round in <3 hours, slow ones about 6.

mintimperial

I’m in, first time for me. Not really done any major miles this year but got a decent-length ride in the other day to shake things out and check I wasn’t going to die on my arse. My legs kept the pedals turning ok, so I’m looking forward to it now. 😀

postierich
    Free Member

I,m in doing it on a geared bike after years of rigid ss and last years effort on my fattie would have rode the fattie again but my dropper is away to be replaced!
    See you in the beer tent to the early hours
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/smcmQY]_DSC1498_1700x1130[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m always conflicted by the Dyfi.As a ride it’s a bit rubbish.Endless fire roads followed by mincer congested downhills (and ‘racing’ it is worse).As an event it’s awesome.I might skip the riding bit and just do the good bits.

cloudnine
    Free Member

How much of a battering would it be on a gravel bike (tripster) with 40c tyres?

kimbers

Cloudnine a fair bit of it OK, but some bits will be challenging, as in get off and walk…..
    Only done it once – last year the weather was shite and I had a stinking cold, but it’s live to do it again, the trails round there are mint

MoggyMtb
    Free Member

Done both. The Marathon was a grind and didn’t really enjoy it. The Dyfi is hard but the downs make up for the climbs. Great fun. And the atmosphere is way better

phil56

I know of an entry that’s available if anyone is still looking
    Phil

matther01
    Free Member

Just received a Dyfi email.

Didn’t do it last year and no fitness this year. 30 mile jaunt happening this Sunday to at least do a little prep.

eddie11
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice, first time had a couple of puncture disasters early doors and ended up right at the back but all the descents were clear. lastime rode mid pack and the descents were a congested minceathon. id suggest taking a picnic, maybe a beer, set off from machylenth and then kick back after the first climb and sit in the sun for an hour to let everyone get out of the way.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times, took a wrong turn last year on the final descent but still beat my mate 8)

Really looking forwards to it, dry would be nice and not too hot.

dienamic

Doing it for the first time and really looking forward to it. Been trying to build up some miles with climbs the last few weeks, think I’ve only succeeded in making myself knackered! I’ll get round one way or another, but it might be dark by the time I finish. Main worry at the mo is sandwicheater sorting a bike out, I need someone to talk to at the back!
    I haven’t heard anything from dyfi or stuweb, but our names are on the entry list on the site so should be all good, I’m planning on just following dazh around all weekend anyway to make sure we’re in the right place at the right time.

On a more social note, is the fri/sat/sun night spent wholly in the beer tent, or do we need to bring beers / whiskey / jager and campfire equipment?

dreednya

If you’re local or in the area we (YstwythCC MTB) are doing our traditional pre-ride round the course this Sunday (tomorrow), meeting at 10:00 am at the climachX trailhead carpark :). Simply riding round waiting for last rider at bottom of descents and tops of climbs, lunch stop at the feed station and then repeat on the way back. Chilled out ride to see how trails are riding and spot any cheeky lines. Due to being as quick as the slowest rider it is an all day job to most of day, though obviously actual ride times will differ

qwerty
    Free Member

Don’t forget it’s also the Mach comedy festival all weekend, there’s a ton of shows in a heap of venues, check out their website and buy some tickets.

qwerty
    Free Member
    teamslug
    Free Member

I’m in. Second time after last year I thought it can’t be any worse weather wise. Got a couple of shows booked too and plenty of miles in as part of mayhem solo training so looking forward to it. Could have done without mild concussion, a beautiful black eye and the stiffest shoulder I’ve ever had after a 28.4mph ( according to garmin) front wheel disappearing act last weekend but I’ll be fine by then. A&E said I should really avoid banging my head again for awhile though so if I’m mincing a bit I apologise now. I’ll be in my team Longsac top riding bright orange orbea, come say hi.

dazh

On a more social note, is the fri/sat/sun night spent wholly in the beer tent

Pretty much, and most of the day too 🙂

Campfires aren’t allowed, but think BBQs are ok as long as they’re off the ground. Probably worth bringing your own beer too for the times we’re not in the beer tent. (Did I mention that it’s quite a boozy event?)

Anyway, after spending the last couple of years trying not to be too hungover for the ride in pursuit of personal bests (and still doing sh*t!), this year I’m going to enjoy myself. Just have to keep repeating to myself ‘It is not a race!’.

dienamic

I’ll remind you of that when the jager comes out on Saturday night

chalky765
    Free Member

3rd year singlespeed and 2nd year rigid. hard ride but the one I always look forward too. might ask for royalties for my arms in the website background!

Metasequoia

The email I got on Friday says no bbq’s of any kind…in red type!!

Allso to those who don’t like to be held up on the downs; just ride more quickly to escape the crowds; or wait at the back if you can’t make it up the ups as quickly as the more xc riders. Personally I’ve always enjoyed the fact that every type of rider joins in at the Dyfi!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘The Dyfi Enduro Thread’ is closed to new replies.