Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The day I hoped wouldn't happen – cyclist death
  • cupra
    Free Member

I always feared this day would come. Someone I know has been killed whilst out cycling their bike. Happened at 1030 this morning on the A926 in Angus. Pronounced dead at the scene. Stay safe out there people, please.

project
    Free Member

Condolances to you and the family and freinds.

1981miked
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss mate, I know that area well as the wife is from Kirrie, bad roads! Condolences to all who knew the deceased.

matt_outandabout

🙁

aP
    Free Member

That photo says rather too much..
    Remember your friend as he was, thoughts to family and friends.

racefaceec90

am sorry to hear that,my condolences to family and friends 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like he’s just driven straight into him from behind. Worst nightmare 🙁

scaredypants

condolences to all he was close to

(looks a pretty straight, wideish road to me 🙁 )

JoeG
    Free Member

🙁

dave360

Molgrips – No. It says the cyclist collided with the van. I hope the driver is OK…

My worst nightmare too. Riding on long straight roads gives me the extreme willies.

lowey

Thats awful. Thoughts with you and all his family and friends.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I can only echo what others have said. I know how it feels, I rode with a guy many years ago on a mountain bike ride, just a cheery hello in a new group doing a ride, was fun bunch. A few weeks later I was helping organise a grass roots race and the guy I rode with that day was killed on a minor road near the race. tragic. left me feeling sort of out of place. I didnt know him well really, but I did know him and sadly I saw the scene as the ambulance tried their best. You have my empathy. not nice.

cupra
    Free Member

Thanks all. It is never a good thing to hear but when it happens to someone you know it is a bit of a shock. He was a very keen and experienced cyclist and in time it will be good to know what excatly happened but I will not to pre-judge things.

adsh
    Free Member

Molgrips – No. It says the cyclist collided with the van. I hope the driver is OK…

Given the general standard of reporting English and the photo of the van (near side damage) I wouldn’t read too much into that statement. It has all the hallmarks of the default being that cyclists not cars cause accidents.

edlong
    Free Member

cyclists not cars cause accidents

You’re falling into a similar trap yourself – two-wheeled participants in accidents get referred to as “cyclists”, the four-wheeled ones as “cars” – this is the default approach in much of the news media. Notice any difference?

Cars never cause accidents. Their owners and drivers, however…

hora
    Free Member

So either the driver was texting?

Went for an overtake then swung back into his side of the road and took out the rider?

I wonder what he’ll get away with?

kcr
    Free Member

It says the cyclist collided with the van

That doesn’t necessarily mean anything. The BBC reported the recent death of a cyclist near Kirliston in a similar way, although the incident had only just occurred, and the details were unknown. Later reports changed to the more neutral “cyclist died after being involved in a collision with a car” after people pointed out how loaded the original text was.

I will not to pre-judge things

Yes, none of us knows exactly what happened at the moment. Unfortunately, it can take a long time for a case like this to go through the system.

I’m very sorry to hear about another death on the roads. Far too many cyclists in Scotland have experienced the loss of someone they know over the past year. Please remember that Pedal on Parliament takes place next week (Saturday 26th April):
    http://www.pedalonparliament.org

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is so sad. Another needless death.

I feel increasingly vulnerable on Scottish roads. Driving standards are desperate.

A local rider was hit by a car near Glenrothes and left on the road with a fractured pelvis and punctured lung. A friend was hit from behind by a motorist driving into the evening sun. Launched over the bonnet and was very lucky only to suffer severe bruising.

I’ll make a point of joining the Fife feeder ride over to Parliament on the 26th. Last year there were a lot of kids on it. If we are to encourage the development of cycling in Scotland, these kids as well as their parents need to see a change in driver behaviour.

nbt

😥

not nice. *virtual man hugs*.

Taz

My thoughts are with you and anyone who knew him

Tragic 🙁

tpbiker
    Free Member

Scares me to think that accidents can happen on a road like that, wide open, plenty of visibility and space.

Someone clearly not paying attention to cause an accident in these circumstances

rip

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not nice at all. Condolonces to all friends and family.
    I’ve started riding around Dundee a fair bit as I’ve been up there with work. Always hits home harder when is somewhere you know, in an “it-could-have-been-me” way.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The day I hoped wouldn't happen – cyclist death’ is closed to new replies.