Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s particularly good tonight, and is the only thing keeping me afloat in a sea of paperwork. Definitely my favourite radio show.

drlex
    Free Member

It’s on LOUD here, so the cats can’t hear the fireworks.

cobrakai

Don’t normally turn the radio on for any particular show, it’s usually on in the background, but do go out my way to listen the Craig Charles show. Even downloaded some podcasts for night rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t know it was available as a podcast.

*likes*

rob2
    Free Member

I think the music is great, but whenever I hear Craig Charles voice I think about those allegations against him.

Harry_the_Spider

…that he was cleared of.

IHN

It’s a really, really great show.

whenever I hear Craig Charles voice I think about those allegations against him

The ones he was cleared of in court? Nice. Anyone else you hold a grudge against?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Gilles Peterson is the better show 🙂

He’s quite knowledgeable about the music he plays…

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s the only show on 6 music that I always turn off. Can’t stand the guy. What are the allegations?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah let’s not use this thread for yet another “allegations refuted” blah di blah.

He has got to be one of the best Djs out there for Soul/Funk, his knowledge of the genre and being able to pick some absolute gems out is really impressive.

I listen to him via a poddy when grumpy on a train, he never ceases to amaze and play some belters.

Whoop!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Its a great show. My favourite music to cook to on a saturday night

rob2
    Free Member

Not a grudge at all, just saying about all that crap he went through for those months.

shermer75
    Free Member

Has he got 2 pounds of funk in a one pound bag?

rOcKeTdOg

Prefer to listen to Lisa Tarbuck giggling

eviljoe
    Free Member

Went to see him live about a month ago-

He came on at midnight, was clearly off his face and full of self love (no guesses there what was floating his boat…) and opened with ‘All Night Long’ by Lionel Richie. Then George Michael… Was not the Funk and Soul I was expecting from his radio show.
    Didn’t get any better.
    It was really bad, me and about 10 mates left really disappointed-he clearly doesn’t care about ‘regional’ audiences. We left early, as it clearly wasn’t going to improve. Waste of £17

giantalkali
    Free Member

Didn’t he get accused of a Spinnage a trois?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

his knowledge of the genre and being able to pick some absolute gems out is really impressive.

someone who works from him has good knowledge – the number of times he mispronounces names of artists is amusing.

He’s a bluffer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Still good though, every one needs a researcher otherwise he’s going to sound like Steve Wright.

Unless you prefer #lovetheshow

binners

Gilles Peterson is the better show

If you want to hear someone play a Peruvian nose flute, possibly

I’m not angry…. I’m just disappointed

GET OUT!!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The music is great regardless of who picks it but Craig Charles’ schtick is really annoying. It’s like listening to the Smashy & Nicey funk and soul show.

senorj

I can’t listen to Craig Charles and not think about what I saw him up to one night ,in the “backstage” bar at Brixton academy .
    His show is usually very good though .
    Naughty Craig .

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s a bluffer.

Aren’t we all?
    Craig Charles is the only thing I’ll listen to on R6. The rest of it is generally pretentious crap. I caught someone (Mark Ratcliffe….?) interviewing someone and droning on about silence the other day. Utter shite.

tdog
    Free Member

Those who have seen what he gets upto backstage know it’s not all roses in his life.
    I won’t divulge so
    I’ll leave it upto some of you lots funkin imaginations. 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aren’t we all?

I assume you can fix bikes and dont just have someone else do it for you whist you claim you did it NO basically what an odd thing to say

We may all wing it occasionally bit that is not the same thing

edlong
    Free Member

It’s the only show on 6 music that I always turn off. Can’t stand the guy.

I’m often struck generally and from threads on here that Charles and Peterson seem like a really poor fit with the rest of 6music’s output – either way you have the ‘love Craig and Gilles, can’t be doing with the rest of it’ crowd and conversely the ‘love 6 music apart from that Craig Charles crap’ lot.

For me it’s most noticeable at 9pm on a Saturday – after 3 hours of funk ‘n’ soul the start of Tom Robinson’s show is such a crashing gear change it’s really hard to listen to..

cheers_drive

I like Craig Charles and most of 6 music so I don’t fit either camp. Giles Peterson is a nob though and I struggle to listen to the music he plays

zippykona

I really enjoy him when he’s sitting in for someone else. I don’t mind the soul bit but I absolutey hate the funk bit.
    Giles Peterson does play some good stuff but also some rubbish stuff.
    Giles would be more likely to get shazammed than Craig.
    Edit ..I was in da shed last night and didn’t turn over to planet rock so I guess I would rather put up with the odd funk song rather than the odd poodle rock hair band .

giantalkali
    Free Member

Craig Charles
    Iggy
    Huey Morgan

That’s putting a £ of funk in my bag for life.

zippykona

If I could win someone’s record collection it would be Huey’s.

sweepy
    Free Member

Gilles Peterson is the best thing on radio anywhere in my book.
    Craig Charles not bad if you can ignore all the bloody ‘awooga’s’
    Iggy pop plays some good stuff on Fri evening.

scud
    Free Member

I love the Craig Charles radio show, just some great tunes that i’ll admit i have a bit of a wiggle to in the kitchen on a saturday night, but echoing above he was bloody awful live. We saw him in Norwich and the night was worth it as he had the Allergies play two sets, one will all original 7″ vinyl, but he wandered on about midnight, and struggled to actually use the basic equipment he was using, cut the music twice, played a couple of tunes twice and the tunes didn’t flow one into another at all. I’d pay to see the Allergies again but not him.

I used to work in a bar in York with a scouse guy Steve who grew up with him and said he was a complete ar*e even back when they were teenagers!

binners

I’m looking forward to Giles Peterson’s special on Nigerian Bongo orchestra’s next week

He’s got Brian Pern commenting on how he discovered them

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Gilles Peterson is the best thing on radio anywhere in my book.

yep, can’t remember the last tie I watched anything on BBC TV but I listen to his show so much that I don’t mind the license fee.

Been listening to him for nearly 30 years now, although I haven’t really been listening to his worldwidefm internet radio.

Benji B is pretty good as well, and add in a bit of Friction every now and again.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Still good though, every one needs a researcher otherwise he’s going to sound like Steve Wright.

yes but he mispronounces artist names that he really should be quite familiar with, seeing as he is trying to make out he is familiar with that domain.

AlexSimon

Binners in completely missing the mark shocker 🙂

AlexSimon

The Craig Charles show is pretty good apart from a few tracks that get too much play – usually those genres on the fringe like electro-swing or whatever it’s called.
    Probably because he’s going for a party atmosphere, whereas I’m usually listening while working.

edlong
    Free Member

yes but he mispronounces artist names that he really should be quite familiar with, seeing as he is trying to make out he is familiar with that domain.

Conversely, he’s about the only radio presenter that I’ve ever heard pronounce Candi Staton’s name correctly.

weeksy

I listen to SolarRadio. It’s like Craig Charles but without Craig Charles… I do enjoy listening to him though when he’s on. But i don’t have a DAB and i think he generally does DAB related channels.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show’ is closed to new replies.